New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A definition of Shane Warne
Posted by: mycroftstwin (---.xdsl.xnet.co.nz)
Date: December 26, 2011 04:39AM

Alrighty. I've always wanted to start a topic about something, but never yet found anything worthy. Until now.

I see now that the cricketer Shane Warne has a life-size bronze statue made of himself, which resides outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Which is nice but...

In my opinion, that's rather impious. By that, I mean that if you get a statue made of youself, you've helped win a battle (Keith Park), climbed a mountain and helped the people of that mountain (Edmund Hillary), or was an animal that was a legend on their own time (Phar Lap).

The above people deserve a statue. But a slightly overweight, free-loving posterboy for various forms of cosmetic surgery? A damn good sportsman, no doubt. But worthy of a statue? Nah. (at least in my opinion.)

So, I call making a statue of Shane Warne impious. But I wonder if there's a more appropriate word I can use.

Suggestions, anyone?

Re: A definition of Shane Warne
Posted by: MistyCat (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: December 26, 2011 05:42AM

Let me think...

Simulacrummy

Effighastly (Effingguy - toofar?)

Sham Warne

No, nothing appropriate comes to mind.

Date: December 27, 2011 04:24AM

Sham Warne is a great start - far more appropriate.

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-180.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 27, 2011 05:03PM

Are we sure it is a statue and not the real thing standing still pondering on who on earth the bloke is. looking at him in the mirror

Shall we call him "Ozzie man dias"

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: January 30, 2012 02:09AM

Why not try 'Wanker'?

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 30, 2012 05:12PM

Dear Bunyip, Whats a wanker? Is it an Australian mythical shape-changing beast?

Date: January 31, 2012 01:57AM

Indeed. The wanker is the two-headed beast that guards the entrance to the underworld of sports stars of Warneys ilk - it includes the likes of Pele, Wayne Rooney, Dennis Rodman and David Beckham.

Posted by: MistyCat (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: January 31, 2012 08:18AM

Summer doesn't really start until the first authenticated sighting of the lesser spotted herbaceous wanker (Shanarius Warnium) has appeared in the letters to the Ed. column of the London Times.

Date: January 31, 2012 08:42AM

Indeed, and summer brings the start of the mating season, where the LSHW goes out to mate with the lesser brained omnivorous cougar (Lizbeth Hurlupus). Usually this mating involves drinking a bit too much, turning a blind eye to the others activities, and trying to look like you're 17 when you're 70. A most extraordinary coupling indeed.

MC - In case you don't check these things (I know I don't) I sent you a PM. Would you mind dreadfully checking it? I'm trying to plan something, and you've become a small part of it....

Posted by: ibborobb (217.196.236.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:00PM

um.... Skids? Help?

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: January 31, 2012 12:57PM

ibborobb, let me know how I can help and I will try. (PM if you prefer)

Date: January 31, 2012 11:51PM

I question the phrase 'of Warney's ilk' to be including Pele.

The others are all talented enough, and wankerish enough, but in what way do they have a commonality with Pele?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 05:50AM by bunyip.

Date: February 15, 2012 05:53AM

For some reason i have started to sing in my head a song about 'Alister Clare' (or Clair or other phonic similar) who was noted for a particular talent with particlar obfects.

Who else knows of this song?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.