New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dirk
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.catv.broadband.hu)
Date: April 23, 2012 08:17PM

So did anyone watch the 'Dirk Gently' series this year, and if so, what did you think of it?

Personally, I liked it and think it shows plenty of potential! Shame about the slightly coniferous tall person though.

Re: Dirk
Posted by: Eoink (---.pete.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 23, 2012 09:58PM

I did enjoy it. The first Gently book is my favourite Adams work, and I felt neither the pilot nor the series were as good as that, but I got a lot of laughs out of the shows, and would happily watch some more.
I'm not quite sure why they made some of the changes they did, I would have thought the original MacDuff and Susan characters would have worked well on screen.
And I hope we meet Reg at some point in the future (do you see what I did there?).

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: April 23, 2012 11:47PM

i would put both books into the unfilmable category - after all the BBc went on strike rather than film the first one (in joke, Dr Who fans).

i liked that they kept the spirit and then went their own way. The DVd release of Season 1 features the pilot as an extra. It seems that a second season of three has been commissioned. I look forward to it.

Now, if they can just let me know where "The Salmon of Doubt" was going, I will be a happy bunny.

Date: April 24, 2012 06:30AM

I would agree that the books are unfilmable, and a total of two novels could not support a series in anything but theme and so you go your own way, picking out the things you like and losing those you don't like or aren't doable on a BBC4 minimal budget. Valhalla might be a bit expensive.

A second season? Yay! I actually found this more enjoyable than the second season of Sherlock.

E.

PS Now, how to build a thread game around the direction of the Salmon of Doubt?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: April 24, 2012 11:38PM

I think most of our games already owe a lot to DNA.
Perhaps we could introduce deadlines then deliberately miss them?

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: April 25, 2012 03:06AM

Weren't we going to have deadlines established by last year?

Date: April 25, 2012 07:54AM

I thought they got forgotten when we missed the panto opening night.

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: April 25, 2012 08:42AM

I was there for the opening night!

I had thought it was a particularly existential panto, with deep social meaning and much pathos. I didn't realise that you lot just hadn't turned up.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 25, 2012 02:38PM

What were the reviews like?

Date: April 25, 2012 05:13PM

Knowing the form, the reviews were probably off topic.

Posted by: bunyip (---.tpips.telstra.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 05:47AM

Don't panic.

The reviews will be coming out in their own book soon.

In the meantime the panto horse has to be treated for soft hoof syndrome due to treading in a custard pie of dubious nature.

Date: May 28, 2012 08:24PM

'Dirk Gently' cancelled. THe only consistently original British show I have.

<Hangs head in misery>

Posted by: Eoink (---.midd.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 28, 2012 09:21PM

Damn, I can see that funding cuts in real terms mean cancellations, but I liked Dirk G. Hmm, so Antiques Roadshow and cricket (Sky Sports)are the only 2 things I regularly watch on TV now.

Date: May 29, 2012 08:48AM

Well, there's still that single Moffat 'Sherlock' episode per year to rely on and then the awful Gatiss one and the average Thomson episode. Apparently being the only one I know to hate the 'Baskerville' episode is annoying. Ditto for Moffat and Doctor Who.

<Returns Fforum to lighter tone>

Sling one of those pies marked 's' over will you?

Posted by: Eoink (---.midd.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 29, 2012 11:30AM

Pie marked s for holiStic dutifully lobbed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.