New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
A Nextian Dream?
Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 01:59AM

I always have a bit of trouble remembering my dreams after I wake up, particularly this late in the evening, but I can remember two parts of this one quite clearly, both of which seem like BookWorld events.

In one I had to run around a city and deliver a message to the mayor. It was implied to me that this was what was supposed to happen in the book, but my bewilderment was clear when I said to the mayor "I don't understand what is going on, but I need to deliver this to you."

In the second bit I ran into a studio and past to a soundproof room to take my place while someone announced "Phone call that alludes to important point, begin" or something like that.

Does this seem unusual to anyone else? I'm a bit thrown by this, as it's been...maybe two weeks since I finished SR.

---
Um? Game?

Re: A Nextian Dream?
Posted by: Lady Teaspoon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:54AM

It doesn't seem all that peculier to me since one hardly hears of "normal" dreams. I've ended up in situations I've read in a book or watched on the television, and done some very strange things for very strange reasons. Actually, I always enjoy wondering if I am awake now, or I am I actually dreaming in a Matrix-like fasion and what I think are my dreams are actually me being awake.

But that's just me. Maybe I am just wierd like that...

Date: February 16, 2006 01:00AM

I think Pratchett dealt with one like that. The "am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming of being a man?" question came up.

Response: "Did he have antennae? How about a penchant for nectar? No? Probably a man then."

---
Um? Game?

Date: February 16, 2006 03:15AM

I dunno about nectar, but I like honey on toast. Does that count?

Posted by: splat21 (---.range86-133.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:53PM

I'm not sure any of us can be that helpful in interpreting your dreams for you - it's your subconscious symbology and so you're probably the only person who can really work out what it means. In other words, what the dream's trying to tell you is represented by the symbols you find the best shorthand for whatever it is the dream's about.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Puck (---.brmngh01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 10:42PM

It seems to me that when a man dreams he is a butterfly, it would not be terribly surprising if he dreamed that, as a butterfly, he had both antennae and a penchant for nectar.

If that is true, then who's to say that a butterfly, dreaming it is a man, might not imagine itself to have a moustache and a yen for herbal tea?

Therefore, the venerable sage's lack of papilionaceous accoutrements (during the time when it seems to him that he is a man) is no reason to conclude that he is not actually a butterfly having an unusually realistic dream.

(Sure, you may argue that you yourself can see perfectly clearly that he is a man, but that is wholly beside the point: he never claimed that you had any doubt, only that he did. It's no use trying to persuade him otherwise, as helpful as you might think you are being, because for all he knows you are just another element in his dream...)

Post Edited (02-16-06 23:43)

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Date: February 16, 2006 11:43PM

Are dreams supposed to mean anything? It seems that people have automatically assigned them meaning, or said that they are supposed to have meaning, but what if they actually don't? Or maybe they are so random and vague that they can be interpreted as meaning anything they want them to?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:02AM

god, i hope that dreams don't have subliminal meanings,

last night i dreamt that i fell into Grimsby dock.

no i was not drunk, i just took a wrong turning at some traffic lights that are not actually there and just sort of fell in.

I hope that the meaning of this is that i need look where i am going more.

Date: February 17, 2006 01:41AM

I'm going with the hope that my dreams are little flags as to my mental health. Such as the multiple actor's nightmare's I've had.

The worst are the ones where I know something is wrong, but I'm incapable of changing it to the better. In one dream I recognized the aspect that would make it a nightmare, and that bit got stuck in.

*Shakes head vigorously to dislodge mindworm*

---
Um? Game?

Date: February 17, 2006 02:32AM

I keep dreaming of finding myself shoved onstage completely aware of the fact that I am incapapble of doing whatever is required of me. Lately however, in the last couple years or so, I have not really had dreams that I can remember at all. Maybe that's just because I am so braindead when I go to bed around 1:00.

I miss having dreams, though.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.166.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 10:54AM

"Phone call that alludes to important point, begin"

To me that looks like someone does too many cryptic crosswords.

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 10:46PM

As for Lady Teaspoon's "being on stage" - both I and my wife also have this dream / nightmare. In mine, I not only don't know my lines but I have no idea of my character, the plot or even the name of the play - disturbingly similar to my life I suppose.

We've both done a fair bit of theatre work so perhaps the id simply borrows a familiar situation in order to sort through day to day uncertainties. It would be interesting to know if Lady T. also has an actual stage connection which is providing the scenario.

Date: February 19, 2006 11:06PM

I just realized how like a stage life really is. For every star pulling down big sacks of cash, there is a great multitude of starving artists that can only get bit parts.

---
Um? Game?

Posted by: kaz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 19, 2006 11:07PM

Now is a good time for the quote 'All the world's a stage....'

Date: February 20, 2006 12:00AM

The Kitten referred to part of the original dream and it's similarity to a cryptic crossword clue, viz:
"Phone call that alludes to important point, begin."

One solution might be "mobilise".

Typically, the first or last part of a cryptic clue must contain the main definition. This one uses the final word, 'begin' as the synonymous (for mobilise) or defining word of the clue and the rest is the cryptic 'make-up' of the answer:

'mobile' is a type of phone call you can make;
to say a place 'is East' would be to allude to an important point (of the compass - nsew).
So when you conflate 'mobile' and 'is e' you get the answer 'mobilise', albeit with a superflous 'e' which would upset purists.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 20, 2006 01:19AM

Wow. Now I'm really awed.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.169.---)
Date: February 20, 2006 09:18AM

Robert, I believe you may be one of the afflicted!

Congratulations, that was indeed amazing!

Posted by: kaz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 20, 2006 11:04PM

My family are impressed because I can sometimes get 2 or 3 answers in a cryptic crossword. Imagine how they'd deal with Robert!

Date: February 21, 2006 01:39AM

Well, I'm sure that was all very fascinating, but totally irrelevent, because I don't do crosswords. So it doesn't make much sense for me to be dreaming about them.
Meddlesome..Poster..Goodbye...

---
Um? Game?

Date: February 21, 2006 03:54AM

Don't do crosswords????

I didn't know such people existed.
Next, someone will be saying that Sudoku is a frustrating waste of time.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.