New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any views?
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 10, 2012 11:21PM

Sorry to be boring (again!)
I have no power here. This is just a request.

I have no kids and don't particularly like them but know that others both have them and do like them.

i would like to ask all posters to remember that some readers, whether part of our group or just visitors, may not be adult.

Especially with the Dragonslayer books attracting a younger audience, perhaps comments ought to be kept to what you wouldn't mind your own children reading.

I know that the Internet is driving standards down, but I hope that we can be an better than some of our peers (perhaps a bit smutty, but not as rude as it sometimes becomes.)

If you disagree, or even agree, please reply, but if you need to express your views strongly then consider if the vitriol would be better as a PM.

Re: Any views?
Posted by: bunyip (---.tpips.telstra.com)
Date: July 11, 2012 05:05AM

I agree, even though I feel that it is some of my posts that have drawn the initial post.

No problems.
writes:
I must think before posting
I must think before posting'

etc 98 more times.

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: July 11, 2012 08:39AM

If I agree Really Strongly with SM I may be able to draw attention away from any of my posts which may possibly be perhaps perceived as potentially approaching the teeniest tad of a tendency towards inappropriatositificatiousness.

It wasn't me, and even if it was I didn't mean it, and if I did mean it I shouldn't have done it and I won't do it again and I'm really, really sorry. (Waaaahh.)

There's a time and a place and an audience for all kinds of humour, and I hope we can all stay within the obvious bounds.

Bum. Tee hee.

Posted by: OB (---.range81-157.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2012 10:10AM

Sorry, everybody. Ought to know better. Having said that, we all appreciate that young people love a bit of scatology.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 11, 2012 05:32PM

My post wasn't aimed at any individual!

I had just noticed a general trend and thought that I should ask the question.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 11, 2012 06:11PM

So what is the benchmark? What I think my children shouldn't read? What I think you think your children shouldn't read? Or even what I think that some other adult won't take offence by, but could imagine that there is someone out there who would feel offended if some undefined children could read it (see US TV standards)?

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the "defending the innocence of the youth" pre-emptive censorship. I will discern between rude language and good-natured ribbing by my own standards, and no-one elses. And if it's good enough for adults, it is good enough for children.

If you are offended by something that I wrote, please tell me, but don't tell me you think someone else might be offended or should be sheltered from my comments.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 12, 2012 11:45AM

I think we all probably quite cheerfully self censor depending on the environment we find ourselves in. The interesting thing about an online forum is that it doesn't offer any visual clues as to the sort of environment you are actually in.

In my head the fforum has always been an Edwardian "At Home" where people pop in, say something witty and then go away. I have always conducted myself accordingly and try never to say anything that would cause the Vicar's tea cup to rattle in his saucer.

Obviously I'm not suggesting anybody else should share my vision, but if you do pop in, could you please refrain from emptytying your tea cups into the aspidistra, it's looking decidedly waterlogged.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 12, 2012 03:22PM

That's 'cos I couldn't get to the loo in time, dear.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 13, 2012 12:31PM

Love the Edwardian At Home analogy Geg. As to my own behaviour, all I can say is:

If we offend, it is with our good will.
That you should think, we come not to offend,
But with good will. To show our simple skill,

But I will try to keep myself nice.

Date: July 16, 2012 04:53AM

How I wish I was as erudite as those who have made the preceding few posts.

Can we go from Edwardian to Regency please and educate the younger set in what was really a creative time in the arts in the UK.

Did they have coffee and chocolate in Regency times? If not, stay with Edwardian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 04:54AM by bunyip.

Date: July 16, 2012 08:59AM

Well it would certainly deal with the aspidistra problem, but I fear there would be a lot of tedious pianoforte recitals and we'd all have to buy a wig.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-182.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 16, 2012 11:01AM

Nope! Can't have the Regency: they were rude and very naughty and filthy under the finery.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 16, 2012 11:40AM

All I know about Regency has to do with cunning plans involving turnips, M'Lord

Date: July 17, 2012 06:00AM

But I want Regency!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: OB (---.range86-178.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 17, 2012 08:40AM

Are we to believe, Bunbun, That you are rude ,very naughty and filthy under the finery? (you little tinker!)

Date: July 17, 2012 11:56AM

Hands Bunyip a copy of Frankenstein and a miners' lamp in the hope they will keep him happy for a bit

Date: July 20, 2012 04:47AM

sits in Adelaide

takes mental joutrney down m23 from London to brighton

sees regency fancy building on right of road

thinks again

accepts Frankenstein copy and miner's light from geg

marinades both in a Cascade beer, covers both in a beer batter made with Boag's, a fries with a few chips and a galah

when galah is soft throws the whole lot out and goes of for a counter meal at local pub.

commences and finishes 'the Day of the Triffids' and wonders if pub salad was in any way related to aforementioned triffids as there seems to be some internal disturbance following meal

attempts cure with coffee and port and CHOCOLATE

Posted by: OB (---.range81-157.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 28, 2012 05:23PM

Bunyip got addled in addelaide (again?)

Date: July 30, 2012 05:18AM

OB,

My default state is 'addled'

Reminds me of a glorious entry in a dictionary of quotations I have had for 40 odd years: 'He was normally quite insane but he had these lucid moments when he was merely mad.'

Any views?
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 10:32AM

I'm used to more Anglo-Saxon language in the boardello-
try not to do that here, but could've been posting in my sleep,
if I got any, which I usually don't but maybe I do & don't know it...

Anyway, the only word that bothers me is the one Eve Ensler is known for-
so aside from that, I'm no judge of what might offend others...

Can we go for Baroque now?

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.