New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
How many more Thursday Next novels can there be?
Posted by: Zranoll (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2012 01:26PM

We know that she is getting older, and that there is at least one more after this one, Dark Reading Matter. Does anyone else think it might be getting near the end of the series? I feel like Thursday could be getting near her death bed, and not be coming back.

Re: How many more Thursday Next novels can there be?
Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: July 15, 2012 02:01PM

Why?

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.range109-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 15, 2012 06:38PM

She's Granny Next so will live for an awful long time yet!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 16, 2012 07:41AM

As TWWDAL was originally called Dark Reading Matter, that may join the list of unused titles.

I believe he said that there was at least one more TN, a third Dragonslayer and another set before Shades of Grey.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-182.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 16, 2012 11:04AM

Isn't it odd? We all read the Thursday series for the literary allusions and wordplay but secretly most of us like Shades of Grey best.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 16, 2012 11:49AM

Shades of Grey is just so original, and with the way we are being lead into an unveiling how could we not. That's not to say that Thursday is unoriginal, but it's the clues in SoG.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 16, 2012 11:50AM

Does this mean that Thursday is a gateway drug, leading to more serious, harder drugs?

Posted by: Ian (---.40.255.75.threembb.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2012 03:19PM

Thursday Next may well be heading towards the retirement home to take up her role as her own gran but does that mean the Nextian adventures are over?

With Friday and Colonel Next both ChronoGuards does this not leave the series open to endless sequels/prequels. Not forgetting Mycroft's ability to invent reality bending gadgets, Polly Next (who makes Carol Vorderman look innumerate) and the fact that there will still be fictional Thursday(s) living in BookWorld.

I think that without an apocalyptic finale the series will be left open for further speculation on possible books. Clever stuff Jasper.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 08:45PM

My first impression was that instead of opening up numerous new leads for potential storylines in later books, like earlier TN books did, this one was closing a lot of lines.
<hidden spoiler> Two dead arch-enemies in one go, a worthy successor found, an imaginary friend laid to rest, all that is remaining is recovering Pickwick from the Dark Reading Matter... </spoiler>
Unless Jasper suprises us with a dazzling display of new ideas (and we know he can do it), I see only one more TN story coming.

And yes, I am also waiting much more impatiently for a second part of SoG.

Posted by: Ian (---.40.255.90.threembb.co.uk)
Date: July 17, 2012 05:32PM

Oh don't get me wrong PrinzHilde, I can see the whole Thursday vs. Goliath story line is coming to a conclusion and the tying off of loose threads but...

What I ment was there is still, within the story, a chance of further adventures. Son/daughter of Thursday. Plus the time travel aspect. Mr. Fforde might fancy a new conservatory in a few years time and there is still an opening to revisit the series.

And yes, more SofG.

Did Shades of Grey remind anyone else of War of the Flowers by Tad Williams?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.