New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Newcomer
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pacific.net.sg)
Date: May 02, 2003 12:40PM

thought i should get down to this before i change my mind!
This is my very first fan mail. (gee ... does evryone start w that?!) So do excuse me if i do not sound fanatical ;)

I really enjoyed reading your books! Was hooked on to them, and had to literally peel my fingers from them every nite before going to slumberland. Am looking forward to the well of lost plots.

oh gee... does jasper fforde read this forum?

Re: Newcomer
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: May 02, 2003 01:13PM

Welcome to the Fforum! Feel free to stick around. Most of us here are mad as pants, but we're friendly.

To answer your question, here's a quote from the first issue of the Fforde Ffan newsletter, Whatever Next:

Q: How often do you read the Fforum? (Dave)
A: I try to keep up to date but when I am very busy and the forum has been humming, I don’t really have time. I am sent every post to my inbox so I can skim it for anything vulgar or disagreeable. When I’m less busy I will happily sit down and see what’s going on. Because I am a writer and tend to think up scenarios all the time (in real life it’s called vacant day-dreaming) I have this idea that a couple will meet on the Fforum, get married and I am invited to the wedding. Incidentally, there is a couple who contacted me and said that if their unborn is a girl, they will name her Thursday. I am honoured. And so is TN.

You can see the whole newsletter at:
[uk.geocities.com]

You can also email Jasper directly - I believe there are links scattered about the website.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2003 02:13PM

Welcome Chiriqui!! So where you from? How long have you been addicted to all things Nextian? I personally am from a suburb of Washington DC and have been sucked into the Nextian Void for a little over a year now. (Hey, we only got TEA here in March of 2002!)

But anyway, welcome! We're all friendly and seldomly bite (just watch for PSD! LOL) But we love having fun here and you will too if you don't mind that a message WILL go off topic very quickly! That's just us, that's our unique charm! LOL

~Twila aka All American Cutie

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: May 02, 2003 03:04PM

Welcome, Chiriqui...

"Some days I diet, other days they serve lasagne."

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 02, 2003 06:23PM

Welcome!

AAC makes me sound like some kind of mosquito (okay, so I make a whining noise and irritate people after dark, but...)

Can I take this off topic now? Yes? Oh good - I'VE LOST!

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: chriqui (---.156ce.scvmaxonline.com.sg)
Date: May 02, 2003 06:31PM

Thank you for the warm welcome :)) ... chiriqui curtsey in gratitude and appreciation.

Thanks magda for keeping me updated and gee... e newsletter is super duper fabulocious docios!! (can't think of any other words to describe my awe!)

Well, dear american cutie, i was only addicted to all things nextian a month ago ... (ok ok i know ... am abit slow) We got TEA in yr 2002 too.

oh yea, i am from the equator ... dun think u can see much of us in the world map. My country is tiny, man-made and humid .... its Singapore.

Date: May 02, 2003 06:38PM

*reaches for map*

*squints*

*reaches for magnifying glass*

Oh, there it is. The truly global appeal of TN has been confirmed... We used to have a few people here from Oz, but they seem to have disappeared since they ran out of cricket to gloat over...

Oh, if you're wondering about the statement that I'VE LOST! - I'm trying to make other people lose too - see the thread about "This is fun" for details.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: May 02, 2003 07:27PM

Hi Chiriqui, and welcome to the madhouse! I'm the staff of Minsky the cat, who wishes me to pass on his purrsonal greetings.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 02, 2003 10:56PM

Hello Chiriqui: Gosh, Singapore. Sounds so fabulously exotic. Nice to have you here.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 03, 2003 04:38PM

Hello Chiriqui, welcome to the madhouse.

I'm Sarah B, which is a very different Sarah to Sarah. Obviously.

Singapore is much more exotic than those of us who live here in Middle England. Like Middle Earth, only with less Orks.

Um, hidihi anyways.

And that's all folks!

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Date: May 03, 2003 05:18PM

Sarah B wrote:

> Singapore is much more exotic than those of us who live here in
> Middle England. Like Middle Earth, only with less Orks.

You really haven't visited Worcester, have you?

PSD

==========

Date: May 03, 2003 05:38PM

Aaargh! I have... and will never forget the smell of the Lea & Perrins factory. (For anyone who doesn't know, it's a species of brown sauce.)

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.156ce.scvmaxonline.com.sg)
Date: May 03, 2003 07:16PM

Singapore is a multicultural nation, it used to be exotic in the 1950s but with globalisation its now a buzzing island with skyscrapers, sea ports, skyrails etc (lke Tokyo but minus the cold weather, earthquakes and kimonos)

Our highest peak its a hill that is slightly taller than a mole hill.

This city is green (organised & trimmed trees) and clean (litters r expensive) city. Backpackers usually r very disappointed when they arrive w their pots and pans. ;) will be screaming frantically to leave for our neighbouring countries (malaysia, indonesia, thailand) to enjoy e exotic beaches and authentic street markets.

I would NOT recommend this place for an exotic holiday instead for a 3 hr transit you can travel from one end of e island to another by car.

So wat's interesting here?
1) Food and lots of food... a wide spread of sumptious multicultural cuisine (dun forget ur lomotil)
2) Shopping for branded goods (if looking for counterfeits...stick to thailand!)
3) ME (lol, just got to put this in! :)))

Date: May 03, 2003 07:36PM

I had never thought that Lea & Perrins was a type of brown sauce... though I guess it is, when you come to think of it...

What language do they speak in Singapore? Singaporian? (Sounds like a rainstorm...)

--------------

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.156ce.scvmaxonline.com.sg)
Date: May 03, 2003 07:48PM

E rainstorm is what they call us ... Singaporeans :))
We r bilingual, english is our first language and our second language is dependent on our ethnic group.
Chinese - Mandarin; Malays - Malay; Indians - Tamil etc etc

On top of that, some speak in other dialects too. (that will qualify them as TRI-lingual?)

Date: May 03, 2003 07:51PM

Or just multilingual if you count like me:

One,
Two,
Many.

That's muscians for you. Occasionally you might find one that knows three and four, but you'd be pushing it. (Except Dave Brubeck, who obviously knows five as there is no other way of counting a piece in 5/4!)

--------------

Date: May 03, 2003 08:54PM

I used to be married to a musician. He could count all right, but unfortunately he wasn't very high fidelity.

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 03, 2003 11:37PM

I don't use Lea & Perrins, I use Henderson's Relish. Made in Sheffield 'for over a 100 years', according to the sign on the side of the factory. Irriitates me every time I see it, which is quite often, as it's quite close to home.

Posted by: crrbllsweetie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 12:04AM

Welcome...err...I am allowed to say welcome right? Even though I just posted my first post yesterday? Hahaha...got here before you!!!

BTW thank you everybody for welcoming me. Except you PSD...dammit now I'VE LOST too!

- Currer Bell

Date: May 04, 2003 09:04AM

Harsh, but ultimately...

(PSD - through the fugg of a hangover from hell. I can't remember getting home, but it took in a few building sites)

PSD

==========

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.