New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Committee
Posted by: bunyip (---.sfl9.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 06, 2014 09:20AM

There has been a change of management. The new managers want the committee to create a precis of what it has been achieved and have it available for a new committee. As the committee is a government organisation the new committee will be formed of the members of the old committee and their first task will to apprise themselves with the actions so far.

Who will do this? Should we form a subcommittee to attend to the task?

Posted by: OB (---.range86-183.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 06, 2014 02:40PM

Forget the halcyon days of 2013: let us press forward into the future with renewed

vigour ( could whoever ordered the stuffed kingfishers and two tons of paperclips

instead of two cartons,please do something about them because I can't get into the

Stationery cupboard to get the new calendars)

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: January 13, 2014 11:25AM

I'm still waiting in the queue at the Department of Redundancy Department for my Redundant Licence of Redundant Redundancy, but meanwhile...
[www.reddit.com]

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: January 13, 2014 07:05PM

A real committee does not let itself be steered by managers from whatever management, changed or not.
A real committee does not bother about what has been achieved and what not.
A real committee does not contemplate the possibility of a new committee, as it considers itself eternal.
A real committee does not admit it is a government organisation.
A real committee does not take up a task, although it may ponder on it and advise that it be taken up by another committee.

Shame on you.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 11:24AM

Point of order.

have correct committee procedures been followed?
If not please strike out the last 8 pages.

Posted by: bunyip (101.103.156.---)
Date: January 28, 2014 12:13AM

The committee has been in existence in a Klein bottle and the minutes are written on a Mobius strip.

Which means that eventually the committee will arrive back at its starting point and have reached no conclusion whatever.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-186.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 28, 2014 10:03AM

Some bugger has stapled all my agendas and minutes together in a willy-nilly manner. Please can we start again.

Posted by: bunyip (101.103.156.---)
Date: January 29, 2014 03:07AM

The story so far: In a far far distant galaxy a committee was formed. And it was good!

Sometime later it split itself into a number of subcommittees whilst retaining its appearance of being a cohesive whole.

The smaller units occupied an indefinite time in undescribable activities and every so often reunited to share their experiences.

Due to the quantum nature of committees there arose an activation space in which all things were possible, yes even unto there being enough chocolate biscuits to go around whilst the coffee was still hot, and from this activation space in a 'many worlds' explanation of the multiverse there arose a report which indicated that further research was necessary and thus the committee would need more resources and greater powers.

We are at that point now......

[editied because my 'r's' got in the way]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 03:08AM by bunyip.

Posted by: OB (---.range109-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 13, 2014 10:58AM

The first point on the new agenda would have to be Bunyip's "rs"

Posted by: OB (---.range109-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 13, 2014 10:58AM

The first point on the new agenda would have to be Bunyip's "rs"

Posted by: Sir FFlint (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2014 03:55AM

Re: Agenda item 1. - I usually type with my fingers.

Date: February 18, 2014 11:36AM

Welcome Sir FFlint. If you have lurked, you may know where to find the food and drink. If so, please help yourself.

If you bump into Bunyip, please turn him round and set him off in a new direction. (If you don't, do not worry, he usually manages it himself fairly quickly.)

Posted by: bunyip (101.103.163.---)
Date: February 18, 2014 10:27PM

If I knew where I was and which way I was going I would possibly resent that.

I exist in Heisenberg space with Browning motion, so everything is quite clear and understandable and predictable at a quantum pie level.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginm.net)
Date: March 11, 2014 02:29PM

Since everybody is typing now, after a fashion, do you think we should move the committee to an online forum of some sort?

I don't wish to alarm everybody but the chocolate biscuit fund is getting dangersouly low.

Besides the air conditioning system is having a terrible time working out if its Winter or Summer here.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-186.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 11, 2014 08:32PM

I thought I was hot, or was I?

Where are the last minutes? We need a Gopher in this place

Posted by: bunyip (---.sfl9.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 11, 2014 10:17PM

Why do we need an electric wheelchair.

This would imply a need for movement or some other activity which might, in the long run, lead to some sort of conclusion being reached which would, of course, be subject to further consideration and more chocolate biscuits and even more coffee.

Perhaps, if we have such a need, we could have a live in barrista, or should such a thought be sent to the subcommittee charged with investigating new ideas to determine whether they, at first glance, may have some relevance to the matters being considered, either immediately or in future?

And do we need a chocolate biscuit wrangler? Or is there some other more appropriate title for an individual charged with ensuring that sufficient number and diversity of comestibles are available to committee members should they have need of them?

Could we have a straw poll of members of the committee on this? Provided we have a quorum available.

Does the committee have a ruling on what size the quorum should be, and indeed, whether matters of colour, texture, gender, and taste are relevant to the considerations being currently undertaken?

Has enough time been given to allow for these matters to be advanced to the agenda, or is there a necessary waiting period through which such questions must undergo in order to be deemed appropriate for a subcommittee to consider?

Date: March 12, 2014 01:47AM

We definitley don't have the coffee budget to cover this level of activity.

I strongly advise that committee members limit themsleves to one question at a time.

My first question is

"Is the answer to my question "no"?"

Date: March 12, 2014 11:12AM

yes

Date: March 12, 2014 12:28PM

Crikey, less than one year in and the Committee seems to have a definite answer to something.

Literally, no idea what we do now. Chocolate biscuit anybody?

Date: March 12, 2014 02:28PM

Sorry! It should have been

Yes?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.