New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Reading, reading...
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.mat.aber.ac.uk)
Date: April 30, 2013 02:40PM

I've begun a new (for me) set of books. Anyone else familiar with Glen Cook's 'Garrett P.I.'? After the first novel they seem rather good!

Re: Reading, reading...
Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: May 07, 2013 05:49AM

No, I am still coping with Agatha Christie, so I have several decades to go to catch up.

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: May 07, 2013 12:53PM

My local library has only three Glen Cook books, from "Instrumentalities of the night."

I may try one next time I go there.

I'm currently re-reading vast amounts of Pratchett and Alastair Reynolds, and my current book is "And another thing," part 6 of 3 from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 07, 2013 05:26PM

My local library has no Glen Cook books in fact looking round I can see no books at all. Have things come to a pretty pass or am I in the cobblers?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (46.208.48.---)
Date: May 08, 2013 03:39PM

No, I think I only got into it by importing an omnibus. It seems to be worthwhile though. Books two and three are somehow enthralling in a fantasy detective noir way.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: May 15, 2013 01:43PM

Ploughing through Edward Rutherfurd's Dublin - and wondering why, at least it's almost over!

Posted by: OB (---.range86-177.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 15, 2013 02:01PM

Re-ploughing "Game of Thrones" and knowing why. But alarmed at the hundreds of characters I've only just become aware of.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.115.50.59.plusnet.pcl-ag01.dyn.plus.net)
Date: May 17, 2013 09:26PM

About to dig into 'Pavane' by Keith Roberts. Who knows what is to come?!

Date: May 18, 2013 01:28AM

What is to come? A very good read.

My favourite Keith Roberts was 'Kitemaster' (Kiteworld? I forget. It was a long time ago.)

I remember 'Chalk Giants' and 'Grain Kings' but nothing else comes to mind.

I'm currently re-reading lots of my old favourite SF books. Last was 'Asimov's Mysteries'. Now I'm older, the solutions seem much less clever than on first reading.

SPOILER! (Not really)
Least believable was someone spending FOUR HOURS looking through a library book for a vital slip of paper, but not looking in the card pocket.

You young whippersnappers who don't know what a library book card pocket is can just... can just... Get off my lawn! And stop snapping those whips!

Date: May 24, 2013 10:40AM

Whips? Suddenly the mystery deepens...

Date: June 17, 2013 10:27AM

On an excessively topical note I'm reversing Ffordian negligence and catching up. So far...

- The Last Dragonslayer: Excellent and charming.
- One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing: Good but a little slight. 50/50 on New Bookworld.

And to come
The Song of the Quarkbeast
The Woman Who Died A Lot

All part of the Fforde Ffiests 2013 preparation project!

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: June 17, 2013 12:48PM

ES nice to know that someone else is dragging the chain as well. I'm half-way through TWWDAL, enjoying every minute of it. I thought that OOOTIM was good but the spark wasn't quite there for me. Looking forward to Quarkbeast.

Date: June 17, 2013 01:12PM

I just dived into Quarkbeast over lunch and it's a lot of fun! Some of the Thursday books are setup/bridges for the others and it's just a case of knowing which are which. It doesn't mean that any of them are bad though! (Awaits lynching.)

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: June 17, 2013 03:57PM

Re-reading Shades of Grey in prep for who knows what

Date: June 18, 2013 11:05AM

Still have not obtained copy of TWWDAL. Pouts.

Date: June 20, 2013 03:53PM

TWWDAL is quite excellent. I'm two thirds into it and it's definitely a story and not setup for the story to come in the following book. It has also reversed some of the debatable things in FAS. <grins>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 03, 2013 08:11AM

Restarted "Timeless" by Gail Carriger as it got started then buried under a stack of other essential stuff.

I will also attempt "The Long Earth" again as I just couldn't get into it first time round.

Finally, "Windows 8 - the missing manual" as there is no obvious in-built "getting started" for the OS.

Date: July 03, 2013 09:28AM

"The Long Earth" seemed to me to have a LOT more Baxter than Pratchett in it. I had much trouble with my normally easy "suspension of disbelief" with this book, but I still want to read "The Long War."

Still haven't read TWWDAL.

Just discovered David Brin, with "Existence." Enjoyed it immensely. Must read his two trilogies.

Am starting to write sentence fragments.

Must stop.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 03, 2013 10:44AM

I strongly recommend TWWDAL. (I suppose that is no surprise on this Fforum!) I think that my problem with "The Long Earth" was the same as MC's: it felt like too much Baxter, not enough Pratchett. I also want to read "The Long War", which is why I am going to try again.

According to a radio interview with the pair of them, they have signed to do another 3.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (146.90.12.---)
Date: July 03, 2013 06:44PM

I'll second that recommendation for TWWDAL!

Now on 'The Blue World' by Jack Vance. It's good and solid.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.