New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
How did you get started reading The Eyre Affair?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: May 28, 2006 05:35PM

…or whichever book you started with?
(Courtesy of ElizaBennet who first asked the question in another thread)

I started reading The Eyre Affair because I had just seen a local production of the musical Jane Eyre. I loved it so much I wanted to read the book, because it really is a wonderful story. Then I heard about The Eyre Affair from somewhere, and I thought it sounded interesting, but while I'm here at school there's only one bookstore around and it's pretty small, so they didn't have it. That was when I discovered that my school library had both The Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book, so I read them both, got thoroughly hooked, and didn't want to return them.
Eventually I got my own copies of the books, although the library has continued to get the next books, including a signed copy of The Big Over Easy!

Re: How did you get started reading The Eyre Affair?
Posted by: Auntysassy (---.range86-137.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 28, 2006 05:41PM

I was at a launch party for another Hodder book when someone told me about it and promised me a copy. It arrived two days later and I read it that weekend.

Posted by: wheelbent (---.range81-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 28, 2006 05:53PM

I had been to Cardiff for the day and was looking around the WHSmith in the train station whilst waiting to come home and discovered it sat on the shelf. The rest is history.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: May 28, 2006 06:03PM

I had to read it because it was based in Swindon.

Who on Earth would base a book in Swindon? A question asked by anyone living in Wiltshire.

Post Edited (05-28-06 19:06)

Posted by: ElizaBennett (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 08:17PM

(Wonderful! mumbled the bookworms.)

I adore Jane Eyre, which I've read many times, so I'd go out of my way to find any book or film that involves these characters. Remember Jean Rhys's moving novel (it was also made into a movie in the '90s) The Wide Sargasso Sea? But, of course, one has only to read a single page of TEA to realize that it has so much more than that. I picked it up in the bookstore and was hooked -- couldn't stop reading it. Thank goodness this was 2004, so I could go on to the Next book after that and the Web site.

Post Edited (05-28-06 21:18)

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 28, 2006 09:31PM

Saw it in my local WHSmiths, and passed over it for a few weeks, then a guy I know who worked there suggested it too me as being up my street. Bought it, passed it round lent it to a girl 2 weeks before she became another ex.

Posted by: splat21 (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 28, 2006 10:09PM

Just happened on it in a bookshop, liked the cover, read a couple of pages, bought it, loved it, bought for everyone else I thought would like it, was skint.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Haylo (---.no-dns-yet.ntli.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 11:54PM

Read the reviews for Well of Lost Plots, resolved to start at the beginning but an inept girl at Waterstones told me that Lost in a Good Book was the first one so read that THEN The Eyre Affair, was hooked from the first couple of pages...

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 01:03AM

Saw it (TEA) on the New Books rack at my library.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: May 29, 2006 02:38AM

Heard about WOLP on the radio.

About a year or so later I came across a "box set" of the first three books at a ridiculously low price and got that.

I'm now.... an... addict.... <sob>

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 29, 2006 01:25PM

My first thought when I saw it actually was: "What a weird name that author has!" That sufficed to pick it from the shelf and open it. As soon as I read the first of the chapter headings and saw that the content was even weirder, I had to buy it.

Hey, a welsh name can look a bit conspicuous to the foreign eye.

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.cable.ubr03.brad.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2006 05:04PM

I used to belong to a fantasy and science fiction book club and they offered TEA and LIAGB as a two for one package! Fantasy? Science Fiction? Never mind, been hooked ever since

Date: May 29, 2006 05:45PM

Actually, I think that's where I heard of it.

Posted by: ElizaBennett (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 06:41PM

Notice how many of us say that we were "hooked" on TEA and the other books from the very first page we read? So aren't you surprised that these books haven't attained the level of popularity reached by those concerning a certain young wizard? (I'm a Harry Potter fan myself, so no offense to those of you who love J.K. Rowling as well.) Perhaps it's as in Steppenwolf: not for everybody.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: May 29, 2006 07:29PM

hmmm.

I don't think you can compare the two. Fforde is, in my opinion, a much better writer.

It's a pity that everyone just reads HP and never moves on....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2006 09:27PM

Well yes Fforde is the much better writer, but his books aren't as slickly marketed as JKRowlings, and when it comes to talent v marketing , marketing wins.
I think Bill Hicks covers this very well in his 1993 DVD at london.

Posted by: robcraine (83.218.25.---)
Date: May 29, 2006 09:33PM

I was recommended it on a terry pratchett newsletter thing... I believe the message started "I know this isn't pratchett related, and I don't normally recommend books, but..."

HP had better publicity - being banned from schools and denounced by churches certainly didn't harm sales.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 29, 2006 10:28PM

I was in a bookshop with my wife, Heather, who was looking for a book to read on holiday. She chanced upon the then latest novel by the writer Katie Fforde, whose work she'd enjoyed before. I saw the then newly published 'The Eyre Affair' which was filed nearby (for obvious reasons), lifted it off the shelf out of idle curiosity - and bought it on the spot. The rest, as they say, is herstory.

Post Edited (05-29-06 23:30)

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nas45.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 11:48PM

Well, I said it on the other thread, but here it is again.

We had to write a book review in my AP Lit class over Christmas. I chose "The Once and Future King". Lol, but we got into groups to share our reviews and a girl in my group had reviewed "The Eyre Affair". And as soon as I heard what it was about, I ran out and got it. And now I'm hooked! I just finished "Lost in a Good Book"!!! It was awesome!! :)

Date: May 30, 2006 02:16AM

"HP had better publicity - being banned from schools and denounced by churches certainly didn't harm sales."

Let's get all the libraries to ban Thursday Next! After all, it's clear that anyone who's reading Jasper's books will want to try bookjumping themselves, and think what horrors and havoc that would cause in your local library! Jasper Fforde's books will encourage our nation's youth to make deals with the devil (and Archeron Hades) and they must be protected! So ban the books from the libraries!

(There--you think that'll be enough publicity to start earning Jasper the fame he deserves?)

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.