New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
GOD'S SPY: A Brilliantly Written Novel That Sets a New Gold Standard for Thrillers
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 06:33AM

Hello, I want to share this with ya:

A Brilliantly Written Novel That Sets a New Gold Standard for Thrillers

Reviewer: Grady Harp (Los Angeles, CA United States) (TOP 10 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

Juan Gómez-Jurado is a young writer form Spain who jumps into the circle of fine international novelists with this his first book, GOD'S SPY. Previously published in Spanish as ESPIA DE DIOS in 2005 and a best seller in thirty five countries, it now is introduced to the American audiences in a translation by James Graham. GOD'S SPY is a fascinating, intellectually challenging, informative dark gothic work about the inner workings of the Vatican: it also is one of the finest suspense mystery thrillers to be published in the last decade.

Setting the story in Rome in April of 2005 at the time of the death of Pope John Paul II, a time when the entire world focused on the mourning of a the passing of the enormously popular Polish pope, Gómez-Jurado sets the stage for the gathering of the 115 cardinals from around the globe on whose shoulders rests the selection of the next pope in an insidiously terrifying manner: there seems to be a brutally necrophiliac serial killer at large whose apparent role is to kill the candidates for the papacy. Assigned to investigate the initial brutal torture and loathsome dismemberment of the first cardinal is a cadre of investigators: Paola Dicanti is an inspector and psychiatrist with Italian police accompanied by detectives Troi and Pontiero and a forensic sculptor Biffi; the Vatican police force `Corpo Vigilanza' represented by Cirin and Dante; and Anthony Fowler, a priest with a background as a former officer in the US Air Force Intelligence who has a mysterious past.

Gómez-Jurado wisely allows the reader to know the identity of the serial killer practically from the first page and it is this technique that serves to make the interplay of the cardinals, priests, Vatican forces, police and journalists more engrossing. The manner in which the characters - with heavy emphasis on Fowler and Dicanti - unravel the clues found at the site of each gruesome murder, each incident unveiling personal backgrounds and demons of each of the people involved, makes for suspenseful reading of the highest order. In the short span between the death of Pope John Paul II and the election of Pope Benedict XVI we are taken on a series of events from April 2 - 20, 2005 that make for intoxicating reading!

Though many will draw the inevitable comparison with `The Da Vinci Code' there is far more information contained in this novel, far superior writing, and the secret workings of the Vatican are both illuminating and fascinating to read. Gómez-Jurado is a powerful writer not only in developing an irresistibly engrossing storyline, but also in creating a large cast of characters each of whom is carefully constructed so that we can see and feel them: the proof of the pudding lies in the fact that there are no extraneous characters created - each person we meet is integral to the story.

This is a novel that is satisfying on every level and one that pleads to be transformed into cinematic form. With GOD'S SPY Juan Gómez-Jurado leaps onto the stage as a fully develop and very gifted writer. He is an artist to watch. Highly Recommended. Grady Harp, April 07

Check this links too:
[www.godspynovel.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 06:34AM by andrea2004.

Re: GOD'S SPY: A Brilliantly Written Novel That Sets a New Gold Standard for Thrillers
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 12, 2007 09:06AM

Nope not offering pie :-(

Re: GOD'S SPY: A Brilliantly Written Novel That Sets a New Gold Standard for Thrillers
Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: April 12, 2007 09:21AM

http://bestsmileys.com/spam/1.gif

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: April 12, 2007 08:41PM

Cute little picture though.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 13, 2007 04:14PM

Hold it! A spammer with proper grammar? Now I've seen everything!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 16, 2007 07:24PM

Spamming with good grammar is easy if you use a corporate press release. Spamming in a way which makes me want to go out and deface all copies of the book with "Unethically advertised" slogans in felt tip pen is just as easy and used exactly the same words.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: April 16, 2007 09:19PM

I found a typo though.

Check this links too:
some url....

Andrea has posted in general though. Well meant perhaps?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: April 17, 2007 12:03AM

Nah. DIE ANDREA!!!!!!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 17, 2007 04:40AM

No, this andrea2004 has only one post listed. I'm going with SPAM.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: April 17, 2007 01:01PM

Wishing death on them is probably a bit much <refrains from adding links to advice to previous spammers (esp mine)> but wishing squirrel ninja pirates would attack the spammers computer with shuriken and acorns with sharpened edges, leaving it a tortured wreck of plastic and metal with the intel on the *outside*, in pieces- and perhaps leaving said spammers with fingers incapable of typing again may be considered within reason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.