New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
hi everybody!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2003 10:34PM

New one here too!!!!

Just finished Lost in a Good Book a few days ago! wonderful as the first! only started reading fforde books since last year (when spied eyre affair in my library!)

I just wish that Well of Lost Plots was coming out this summer in the U.S. of A. as well. sigh. curses and botheration (and not in moderation). strange. the post box seems to eat my letters.....

ciao!

Re: hi everybody!
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 10:36PM

Hello oop!

Do you have another name, or are you just oop?

You could always get it sent over from the UK when it coems out here if you don't mind paying the postage...

Welcome to the nuthouse anyway. :) We're harmless really.

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2003 10:47PM

Hey there, Oop! (Jessica! I'm magic, I know things!) Welcome to the Ffunny Ffarm!

Do what the rest of us Statesiders do...order a UK copy. It's not THAT much more expensive. And if you pre-order, most places can have it to you by the time it actually comes out. Post Mortem books (see Jasper's links) did great for me last time with LIAGB and I've ordered WOLP already.

You know, THAT's why I have a collection of all the different versions going...cuz I was impatient and couldn't wait for the US releases!

Post Edited (05-07-03 00:54)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 11:06PM

Welcome to the forum. Emergency exits are here, here and here, although when it crashes the standard procedure is to wail ineffectually... We hope you have a pleasant flight of fancy...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: May 06, 2003 11:35PM

*bows to the nice welcomes* thanks for the tip on ordering books. will have to try and foist self off of lazy tush.....

Posted by: crrbllsweetie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 07, 2003 12:15AM

welcome oop! *hehehe now you have to say thank you again*

Don't worry-- the straightjacket isn't *that* hard to type in!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Revolt! Revolt! No matter why or when,
It's novelty--old novelty again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2003 12:17AM

I find I've gotten quite adept at typing with my nose since my arms are tied up with my straightjacket. Talk about "hunt and peck" LOL

Date: May 07, 2003 12:37AM

the straightjacket's not so bad. just wish they'd let more air in. rubber rooms get so stuffy after a few hours....... now where did those scissors go.....?

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: May 07, 2003 01:01AM

Welcome to the Fforum, oop!

Where in the States are you? I'm in Michigan (near Ann Arbor).

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: May 07, 2003 01:24PM

And yet another welcome to Oop. ( So when were you IN print? :-)

"Warning! Product may contain Newts!"

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: May 07, 2003 09:09PM

Ciao Oop, e benvenuta! :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: May 08, 2003 02:51AM

hallo. i'm in North Carolina

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 08, 2003 10:36PM

I'm going to randomly divert this thread by saying that I decided to watch one of my new DVD's when I got up this morning. (Been on a buying spree in the sales again). Decided that what I really wanted to watch was 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They ?'. Just the cheerful sort of thing you need to set yourself up in the morning....
I've seen it twice on TV before buying it, and I think it's a really powerful, fascinating film. For those who don't know, it's about a dance hall marathon in the 1930's, during the height of the Depression. It's moving and bleak, but not as bleak as the book it's based on, which I also have. The author was Horace McCoy, who also wrote 'Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye', which was made into a film starring James Cagney in one of his most brutal roles. These are excellent books, well-observed, and highly recommended if you can find them.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: May 09, 2003 09:27AM

I watched 'Clue' last night, with Tim Curry.

Tim wasn't actually there though, he was in the film. Obviously.

Great film. Especially the multiple endings...

Date: May 10, 2003 12:08AM

I love 'Clue', as well but haven't seen it in ages. More than a few Rocky Horror moments, in there. I love the bit with the singing telegram.

One of the DVD's bought t'other day was 'The Goodies'. Yes ! 'Kitten Kong', 'Ecky-Thump' and 'The Goodies and the Beanstalk', amongst others. Inpsired lunacy, witty use of music and songs, silly special effects and a very British sort of irreverence.
It's true that a man actually died laughing, watching 'Ecky-thump' (a spoof of martial arts movies, where the weapon is a black pudding and masters get to wear wider and wider flat caps).
The best episode, in my opinion, is one I have on video - 'Bunfight at the OK Tearooms'. Our three heroes go to Cornwall and strike cream. Graham tries to cheat the other two over the deeds to the cream mine, seams of jam are found and a bitter argument breaks out over the pronounciation of 'scone'. The situation is to be resolved via a poker game using slices of toast for cards, with increasingly large cakes as the stakes, but Graham is cheating - he has a toaster hidden ready to improve his hand. The final, 3-way shootout uses squashy plastic tomatoes filled with ketchup as weapons. All with a great soundtrack provided by Bill Oddie. Utter genius. Has to be seen to be truly appreciated.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: May 10, 2003 04:32PM

I remember 'Bunfight at the OK Tearooms', and those other 'Goodies' episodes that you mentioned as being on that newly-bought DVD too, from when they were originally broadcast. :-) :-) :-) (Three grins because there were three Goodies...) I don't have any videos or DVDs of them myself (or indeed, for that matter, the necessary contraptions through which to play any such items...), but do have one CD of their songs... It includes their version of "Working the Line", from the 'Bunfight' epsiode, but not the song about the actual show-down.

"Warning! Product may contain Newts!"

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: May 10, 2003 04:48PM

Firstly welcome Oop!.

The trouble with Bill Oddie now adays is that when hes wittering on about some longtail shortbeak reed warbler or whatever the latest bird he's watching is, you expect him to launch into some Goodie type loonacy. You've got to go along way to beat "The Funky Gibbon" we used to have a Goodies LP - yes that long ago - I wonder if my bother still has it?

Date: May 10, 2003 06:17PM

We had a young and handsome teacher at junior school - Mr Watts - who ran a travelling disco. (This was the 1970s). He did school discos for us' 'Funky Gibbon' was a great favourite, but then we weren't very sophisticated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.