New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Font In which The Ayre Affair is written
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.VicOne.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 17, 2008 02:27AM

G,day, i would like to know the font in which the story is written... Any help would be great.

Re: Font In which The Ayre Affair is written
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 17, 2008 04:36AM

I don't know which font it is as I don't have my copy with me, but I think almost every book, and certainly Jasper's books, have a note somewhere (usually in the back) saying the typeface. I suspect the US and UK editions may have different typefaces, though (as will many other foreign editions).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 17, 2008 10:18AM

ok great... but i think i don't have to copy in my bag... If someone could please help me out it would be great.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:34PM

Like a lot of books published in Britain, it is set with Bembo. (Don't know about the american edition, as I have never seen more than the jacket.)

Date: July 18, 2008 02:08PM

bembo is a paid font :(

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 18, 2008 02:43PM

Do you know a nice site to get free fonts from then? (It's quiet so it's okay to ask serious questions.)

Date: July 18, 2008 07:33PM

Apart from the question whether selling (Monotype) Bembo is copyfraud, you can take a look at Cardo or, if you have an older version of CorelDraw, there was a font named Aldine 401 included. They are more or less the same.

For everyone else in this fforum, here are some animals you can make up puns about:

[www.bemboszoo.com]

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 09:07PM

the US editions are berkeley medium, and it appears that all the UK editions are bembo. (which, as PrinzHilde mentioned, seems to be the overwhelming majority for books printed in the UK).

i have a copy of Bembo which i got in a font pack. it's one of the three different fonts i usually use for school papers. i like it.

-------------
almost always around on the (un)official Ffordian IRC (chat) channel, #tnext on esper.net . one can go here [www.esper.net] and after it is done loading, type /join #tnext and you should be there!

Date: July 21, 2008 04:35AM

Antgeth you wouldn't mind giving that to me would you?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.63.3.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 21, 2008 10:52AM

Sorry to be the boring voice of reason (again!), but can I remind all concerned about the risks of giving or taking copyright material?

NickyG, try this link to see a good answer as to why this isn't a free font, but perhaps get you something similar.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 01:44PM

Crikey, Skids - I just clicked that link and went on a brief tour of Fontworld. I didn't realise there was so much involved. I just read the stuff, I didn't realise I'd been MARKET RESEARCHED into picking up my very first Fforde book, all those months ago.
Bloody stupid names some of them have, though - I wonder who thinks them up? (Not the books, the fonts)

In the meantime, I now have a mental image of a covert area in the Realworld, rows and rows of little old men all working on their own version of the letter 'E'and grumbling, "That's it. I've had it with the Vowelmaster and all his offers of yet more overtime that I never get paid for. I'm getting myself a new job with 'Q'."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2008 01:45PM by Jazz_Sue.

Date: July 21, 2008 06:18PM

Skids, sorry, but you get me off on a rant there.

In 1495, Venetian printer Francesco Griffo cut a type. In 1929, the Monotype company comissioned a grafics designer to make a lithographic version for the use in offset printing that looked like the classic type. At some time in the eighties, when everyone digitized, Monotype converted it and another couple of companies published their own computerized versions of the same. And now, they still want to cash in on a five hundred year old design?

Even if you take a narrower outlook and claim that re-designing included original work, you must admit that at least Monotype did nothing original and merriting copyright protection since 1929. There is an international treaty (not in force, since it wasn't ratified by enough states) that proposed to give typefaces a protection span of ten years, expandable to a maximum of 25 years. I am not sure about the UK, put publishers can claim an ownership on the typographical arrangement of published editions for 25 years. The US has no legal protection for fonts at all. You may argue (like Apple does) that computrized fonts are patentable as software (which I find disputable), but even then, the period of protection is running out.

So on what grounds should one be willing to still pay Monotype a license fee? To say so is no disrespect to the designers. But in this case, they are either long payed, or long dead, and the company had all the chance to make all the money it needed.

<end of rant>

Sue: Pietro Bembo was the author of the book the type was cut for.

Date: July 22, 2008 12:33AM

PrinzHilde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue: Pietro Bembo was the author of the book the
> type was cut for.

Whoops! No disrespect intended - of course I didn't mean to imply that Italy was a country of people with silly names. I mean, you've only got to look at their rich and varied cultural history - there's Verdi, Raphael, El greco, er - Pagliacci, Cornetto ...
Funny thing is, I did actually think those fonts sounded like clown names, but then I thought: Nooo, must be a secret printers' code type thing. An easy mistake to make - clowns originated in Italy, along with lots of other things that are not in the least bit funny, like Pantomime and Mussolini.

I feel a Pratchett moment coming on ...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.18.82.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2008 09:09AM

LOL Sorry J-S! It can get pretty hairy in there, but the main point was that it is possible to get something pretty similar without having to pay for the Monotype font.

I don't defend what Monotype did, and agree that the idea of them taking someone else's work and demanding payment for it is a tacky at least, but still think that in an increasingly litigious world, asking someone to pirate a copy in a public forum could land both of them in trouble.
We have all crossed the line at some point or other, self included, but that doesn't mean that we are immune from the lawyers. If there is a simple, safer alternative don't you think it worth pursuing, PH?

Date: July 22, 2008 12:08PM

That I agree with, and I gave some hints in that direction above myself. My point is that not every time someone claims "I have the right to get paid, it is the law", there really is a law. Realistically, a download site may take a risk in publishing non-free fonts. But to privately have one and use it is no problem, since it is highly questionable whether anyone would be successfull in prosecuting an infringement.

Date: July 22, 2008 07:43PM

It's the same with music - especially (jazz) standards. Like, 'Round midnight' is just outside the 50 year copyright limit, but Amy Winehouse's arrangement of it isn't - neither is any other re-arrangement of the original. Mind you, with Amy's version you'd be hard pressed to spot the original - or at least, the lyrics. Same goes for Summertime and all the other Gershwin standards - most of which I have strong suspicions WERE penned sometime in the 1400's - modern arrangements of these tunes are copyrighted. Doesn't stop them turning up in fake books though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 07:45PM by Jazz_Sue.

Date: July 23, 2008 01:28PM

so where can i get a LEGAL close copy of it....

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.233.85.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2008 01:35PM

Did you follow the link?
Look at the answer where you can see a link to Lido, plus some others. They are free and legal.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: July 23, 2008 04:46PM

I stick to Verdana. Fancy fonts are pointless unless you print a lot of hard-copies. At least in my view.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: July 23, 2008 05:47PM

Lido is a Times derivative, not Bembo. Especially the ascenders are completely different and most glyphs are wider. I posted the link for Cardo above.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.