New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Humpty Upgraded
Posted by: plockplock (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 01:43PM

This cartoon seemed appropriate:

[2.bp.blogspot.com]

(although it seems to work in "Preview" you may have to cut & paste the link - I'm not sure I have the hang of embedding links)

Re: Humpty Upgraded
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 01, 2009 03:04PM

That reminds me of a situation I encountered just yesterday in front of the neighbouring elementary school: an appr. eight year old was stumbling along on roller blades - he wasn't rolling, his movement were just like me thirty years ago on some rusty ancient roller skates that would not budge and allways tended to go in circles. Well, he did not wear a helmet or other protective equipment. There was the mother of another pupil there, and she started to complain loudly about that boy and his irresponsible parents, claiming the perils of riding like this were much too unreasonable.

Seriously, if the boy had taken a fall at the pace he was geting out of his blades, it would have been just the five centimeters added to his height that discerened it from tripping at a run on foot.

<decides to add 'surviving youth' to the count of his blessings>

<shakes his head about these modern times>

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: February 01, 2009 10:22PM

In Oz these days, kids playgrounds have to have 10cm of pine bark or similar mulch under the slippery dips, swings, seesaws and whathaveyou to cushion any falls. I seem to remember my youth being liberally sprinkled with skinned knees and elbows, sprains, splinters in the hands and the occasional lump on the head. I probably cried when I got a few of them and my parents would say, 'tut tut, there there' and then everyone (including me) then got on with life.

Now, the first thought anyone has if they trip over their own feet is, 'Who can I sue?'

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 04:58AM

I read some research on these wood chips/pine bark under swings and they found that the swingers put their feet down and the wood chips thus ended up in piles at the points in the swing where the feet did not drag, and that there was thus a greater distance for the swinger to fall and for the swing to build up energy and clout the poor sod. Cuts in budgets meant that there was no money to pay people to rake the piles back under the swings.

Net result of safety initiative was considered to be a negative. A snide comment in the margins of the copy I read stated that we should put concrete down and if the person who hurt themselves wanted to complain they could be asked how stupid they were falling onto a hard surface for if they had kept hold of the ropes/chains and not done anything silly they would not have got hurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 04:59AM by bunyip.

Posted by: robcraine (217.23.166.---)
Date: February 02, 2009 09:46PM

And jumping off the swing beyond the woodchipped/concreted/vulcanised area only adds to the fun.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 05:25AM

With woodchips all around I'd be worried about getting splinters. Actually I remember when I was in elementary school and they started replacing all the sand with woodchips at the local playground. I was disappointed because that meant I could no longer make houses in the sand for the stingless "sand bees" that were always buzzing around.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: February 03, 2009 08:48AM

Well, the removal of grazes, cuts and splinters is why children aren't exposed to as much dirt and muck as before and have weaker immune systems. It's safety gone mad I tell you!

You can't even find a roundabout in the UK anymore.

E.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.207.145.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 03, 2009 09:15AM

They are all in storage in the Swindon tanks.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2009 10:59AM

The magic roundabout is a breeding ground for the things - ah, you didn't mean that sort of roundabout did you? More of the Dougal and Zeebeedee type; first comment still stands.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: February 03, 2009 11:24AM

Roundabouts are brilliant. There's the thrill of getting them up to speed and then the really brave ones jump off at top spin just to see if they get hurt or not! Ah, danger in the playground! No wonder people are growing up to riskseekers now, they've had no danger!

End of rant.

Ping ping ping.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:10PM

The little Gegs go to a School where playing with grass has been banned. It's bad for pupils with hayfever apparently.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:21PM

Very sweet, little Gegs!

<pictures these in head>

Date: February 03, 2009 12:24PM

Forget the "sweet" thing - Littlest Geg's (age 7) contribution to the 6 word novel thread was:

Wanted fame and fortune- got rehab.

and the school worries about her playing with grass....

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2009 11:54AM

I see. Alas, where has their youth and innocence gone?

<edited because the "sweet little kids" I know, never are inncocent- and are always plotting something, (usually the more innocent they look, more plotting is involved) so it shouldn't come as a suprise>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 11:57AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:26PM

<distributes nanna-blankets>

Date: February 04, 2009 07:22PM

Nanna blankets banned, due to health risk.
Not really, but it is true about the grass.

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 14, 2009 07:08AM

sadly all the safety means the loss of Mercurochrome sales. I was covered with that stuff as a kid.
I'm the healthest 50 year old far more healthy than so many people half my age. I can eat anything without a reaction and live the life of fun...I played in ate and rolled in dirt and it did me more good than harm

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: February 15, 2009 01:32PM

Littlest Geg sounds as if she'll go far... wonder where?

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:41AM

Mr P I agree!

Remember the song 'You've got to get a little dirt on your hands'?

Ogden Nash wrote:
I think that I shall never see
a billboard lovely as a tree
In fact unless the billboards fall
I'll never see at all.

This sentiment applies to kids who have never seen real grass except the funny cigarette kind, never seen the bloom of a sunset enriched by the dust from a nuclear bomb test, never eaten DDT laced food, and now have no idea of what 'nature' is unless it's a news story of some disaster.

****message interrupted by amorous Birman cat who has decided that ape descendant should be attending to him. Commun ication will be resumed at a later date******

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:02PM

Ha! And try "camping" these days and you get a bunch of softies.

With electricity and all....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.