New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
7th July! 7th July!
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: May 09, 2003 01:51PM

How come it's such a short number of copies, he?
:p

I can't wait....
Oh! I may be going to London around then!!!!!!!!

Re: 7th July! 7th July!
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: May 09, 2003 02:48PM

15000 isn't short...

some people!

Date: May 09, 2003 03:28PM

lol I'm just imagining a big line of 15000 people rushing to buy the book...

I want one, mind, not to be told it's sold out :p

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.ilford.mdip.bt.net)
Date: May 09, 2003 03:32PM

Oh wonderful news! Carla, if you hear anything on the grapevine before me, you know where I am (and vice versa). If he's at your store at all, grab me a ticket? Please?

Even toying with the idea of going to the Hay on Wye festival over BHol to see the great man............

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: May 09, 2003 04:04PM

he won't be in books etc... we don't do that many events with fiction, only massive authors
:(

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: May 09, 2003 05:02PM

Good news for you folks in the south:

9th May 03
+++ Fforde Nnews Fflash: The Well of Lost Plots will be published on the 7th July 2003 by Hodder & Stoughton as a 'Trade Paperback' which means the size of a hardback but with soft covers. The 1st edition print run will be 15,000 copies, list price £10.99. At the same time a hardback collectors/library edition will also be published, print run 5000 copies, list £17.99. In conjunction with this I will be doing a three week tour which should encompass Southern England, Wales, Scotland and the Midlands. Details to follow. +++

So you should be able to find somewhere conveinient to mob up on, er, impress Jasper with a mass showing at a signing somewhere.

He's spending just as long touring there as he did here, but your country is a lot smaller, so there's bound to be something relatively close.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: May 09, 2003 05:12PM

Magda wrote:

> your country is a lot smaller, so there's bound to be something
> relatively close.

LOLOLOL It had to be an american saying this ;)
(Sorry to all americans)

A couple hundred miles is *not* close!

(and I started the thread cos I read that newsflash lol)

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: May 09, 2003 05:16PM

How come he seems to be going everywhere in this fair isle of ours except north England ??

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 09, 2003 06:06PM

bea you always says LOLOLOL why?
LOL means something, what you say means nothing... If you want to use acronyms use them correctly thanks...

Date: May 09, 2003 06:20PM

I suspected you'd read the news flash, I was just elaborating.

And yes, I'm aware that 200 miles isn't particularly close by English or European standards.

It is, however as close to me as Jasper got on his US tour, so that's how far I went to see him. And actually, I did consider it relatively close, since it could have been far worse. Before that stop was added to his tour, the nearest one was going to be 250 miles, and there are places in the continental US that he didn't get within 1000 miles of.

I just figured that in 3 weeks, Jasper ought to be able to cover a lot more of a country with an area of 94,000 square miles than of one with an area of 3,537,000 square miles.

----------------------------------
The difference between an American and an Englishman is that the former thinks 100 years is a long time, while the latter thinks 100 miles is a long distance.

Post Edited (05-09-03 19:30)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: May 09, 2003 06:27PM

And the country in smaller but trains are expensive!

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 09, 2003 06:42PM

Trains are trains. They're supposed to be late, infrequent, expensive, delayed, cancelled, replaced by bus services that take three times as long etc...

Can you tell I'm a brit?

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Date: May 09, 2003 07:13PM

Americans don't take trains, as a general rule, they drive. In part, because the passenger trains don't go to most places, and once you get off a train most places don't have public transit either, except for very large cities.

If I wanted to go to Detroit (43 miles away) by train, it only runs 3 times a day (departs here at 12pm, 8pm and 11pm, leaves Detroit at 8am, 11am and 5pm), takes about an hour each way (if it's on schedule) plus the half hour it takes me to drive from home to the nearest (only) train station in the city (or the hour and a half it takes by bus), and whatever time I spend waiting for the train, and it costs $17 if you book in advance.

If I drive, it takes me 50 minutes to get to Detroit (from home), costs about $8 worth of gas (petrol), and I can go whenever I want, and go straight to my destination.

Trains in America are generally only really useful if you want to travel a very long distance, and aren't in a hurry.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2003 08:04PM

and have PLENTY of money to spend!

Date: May 09, 2003 08:35PM

And don't mind the fact that most cities don't have a station, and in those that do it's in the worst part of town.

Date: May 09, 2003 11:26PM

wow that is so different to Britain.
the thing is here in london I don't have a car, and I don't even feel the need for one...

When i want to go anywhere outside of london i either fly or take a train (well I haven't really flown yet, but some flights to edinburgh are @#$%& than the train... so it might be a possibility for the summer)

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: May 10, 2003 12:49AM

I dont use lol as an acronym but as an onomathopaic (sp?)

hence 'lololol' means a longer laughing sound.

Sorry, I won't use it around you anymore.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 10, 2003 12:51AM

Anyone know whereabouts in the Midlands Jasper will be ? Nottingham and Derby are do-able from Sheffield.

Posted by: Kathy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2003 03:45AM

Newbie here. Don't have a reply to anything, just a new question. I pre-bought "Lost Plots" @ amazon.uk, and was given a delivery date of February 16th - 19th. Does anyone know whats up w/that? Could it have anything to do with my living in US instead of UK? Inquiring minds (well, one anyway) want to know!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2003 04:08AM

Hiya Kathy...welcome...

Uhm...you pre-ordered WOLP (as we call it around here)...it just sounds like Amazon.uk put in some random delivery date...but they'll send it when they get it...

I just looked on their site and it says release date of July 7th...

perhaps you ordered it before they updated the system. Hodder just said when it would be published.

Hope that helps!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.