New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Times when you go "Aaarrrgh!!!"
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 15, 2009 10:40AM

You probably haven't noticed, but I've been absent for a while. Reason being - I got me a job. Well, okay, I was working before - sort of - but when I get home I now get paid for writing articles for websites.

Now this takes me a bit of time, because I'm expected to write about subjects for which I have NO knowledge whatsoever, and I can't just copy and paste - it's all got to be original. I got the job cos I put 'biology/medical' down on my application form.

I've been given a job writing about ... RC Helicopters.

About which - da di da.

I now know more about collective pitch, cyclic roll and days of yaw than anyone has a right to know, but as you can imagine it was a VERY steep learning curve - vertical with a horizontal overhang, just about where your crampons go for a burton. Still, I'm onto 'teach 'em everything about rotors' now, which is an improvement from 'um - don't buy your RC heli from a pound shop? I think?' which is where I started out.

Last night, I was researching the exciting world of flybars on Google. Straight away I hit on a really exciting article that told me everything I needed to know, except - Oy! This is MY page! Someone's been given my articles to write ... oh, hang on. This IS my art ...

Yep, I'd found my own work.

And I'd forgotten I'd done it.

Worst bit, though, was realising my articles had made it to the google rankings - mistakes and all. I daren't read them. I mean, I was winging the first two dozen blind. I do not have an RC helicopter.

Which is all a long-winded way of saying - where does internet publishing come in Jasper's world? I don't think you can just say - nope, doesn't exist, printed page only I'm afraid, cos the thoughts were there and I now have DREAMS about micro electric helicopters - mainly, about ones that don't fly because they follow my rules about aviation physics.

Plus, I print off the pages to read them as otherwise my bum goes to sleep in front of the PC. Is there a Googleworld, do you think?

Re: Times when you go "Aaarrrgh!!!"
Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: May 15, 2009 04:16PM

First, congratulations with your new job.

Second, congratulations for having found yourself in the internet (which is what I reckon to have happened). Many of us never got that far.

Third, I may not understand your question. There's a lot about Jasper Fforde on the internet, not in the least via his own web site and this very forum. So a hypothetical intelligent web(ro)bot (Google or otherwise) should be able to form itself an impression of the contents of Jasper's books, even without being able to access the paper version. En then actually reconstruct them in a virtual world.

Or do you mean something else?

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 15, 2009 05:17PM

This might be the perfect opportunity to show off something I have drawn and that is not quite a helicopter. But it might be able to fly, if someone built it. Which noone has done yet. Apart from a small model, wich was held on a tether. Does this count as remote?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/Cyclogyro.svg/400px-Cyclogyro.svg.png

Source and copyright information: Cyclogyro.svg by Hk kng on Wikimedia Commons

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 15, 2009 05:37PM

I think that this type of design is called a cyclogyro - there were some in the early 1900's.

I found a drawing on a Russian site.

At a guess this one was built in the 30's.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 15, 2009 06:02PM

As far as I could find out, there were some being built in the 30's, but there is no proof that any of them ever flew. I at least have strong doubts, since photos never show a tail rotor, which the guys from Singapore who did the model found was indispensable. Look at the references I have given on the linked Commons page.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 15, 2009 10:24PM

Nicely rendered!

Date: May 17, 2009 04:46PM

I think that you are correct, PH, I remember seeing film of the rotors collapsing on an early attempt. I just thought that it was interesting that this idea has been around for so long and attempted so many times, but perhaps now we have the materials to make it work.

Posted by: robert (153.107.33.---)
Date: May 18, 2009 04:43AM

<goes to Bunnings to purchase hammer, nails, lots of plywood, @#$%& lawnmower to strip down for engine>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.104.246.threembb.co.uk)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:20AM

Don't forget the beaver flying helmet - or perhaps flying-fox is more appropriate.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.98.---)
Date: May 19, 2009 06:01AM

*gasp*
How rude! At least make sure the lady is someone you know very well...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.113.187.threembb.co.uk)
Date: May 19, 2009 08:57AM

Not at all rude: c.f. the movie "The Naked Gun" and the correct reply is "Thank you. I just had it stuffed."

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 03:49PM

Special points awarded to SkidMarks for managing to shock BK.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.54.116.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: May 21, 2009 08:56AM

I don't think that BK is really shocked. I await the jab with a pointy stick/other retribution in a resigned fashion.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 22, 2009 01:17PM

Didn't realise BK had resigned from pointy stick duties - perhaps you will be safe after all.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 23, 2009 09:10AM

Ah-ha - the cyclogyro. Is that the same as the Orthopter, do you think, as in Dune and various other sci-fi classics? It doesn't look as if it would ever fly, which makes me think you probably see them buzzing around in Bookworld all the time.

At last, I have an image of Jurisfiction air surveillance!

Yes, I do believe I have found a way into Googleworld.

But what would happen if I checked out my facts in a REAL book, whilst typing up a document for the internet, do you think? I'm perilously close to that, as I've just been handed a 5 day deadline on Renaissance artists.

Well, not actually ON Renaissance artists - I mean, that would be silly, they've been dead for ... oh, you know what I mean.

Date: May 23, 2009 09:12AM

dead skin ....... parchment.

I think we should be told.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2009 10:55AM

Sue,

I think that you have found a form of immortality (does letter count as 'immorality' usually appears in unchecked script).

In the old days - pre web it was only true if you saw it on the telly.

Now to be on the web is the only real existence.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.98.---)
Date: May 27, 2009 02:21AM

Ah excellent, would we be able to read that Sue? I'm getting desperate for some decent essay references!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.