New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bookrunner
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: April 30, 2011 02:19PM

While researching for the sleuthing competition, I came across the sculpture "Sprungen ur boken" (Runing from the book) by Ralf Borselius, celebrating Selma Lagerlöf's "Nils Holgersson". It is displayed in Karlskrona, Sweden. The city commissioned the bronze for the centenary of the book's publication in 2006.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/2660895889_113deec00c_z.jpg
(Photo by misteraitch)

The life-size figure (which in this case means "no taller than a hand's breadth") sits atop a cupola 100 cm in diameter. Along its bottom edge there is an inscription with a quote from the book: "Not an instant did he pause to consider, but rushed on toward the church." (Translation Velma Swanston Howard, available at Project Gutenberg)

Re: Bookrunner
Posted by: Violetmoon (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 11:50PM

That is really cool.

So is this someone's imagination, or did they see a character jumping out of a book? hmmm...

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:09AM

Is it possible that there is no toilet in the book and he has greater needs than text maintenance?

Posted by: Marit (159.190.251.---)
Date: June 16, 2011 11:38AM

I haven't read the book since I was around ten years old (which is quite a long time ago), but I don't remember reading about any toilets. Even if there had been toilets in the book, they would have been too big for poor Nils after his shrinking experience, which made him small enough to ride on the back of a goose. I think you're on to something, bunyip!

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 16, 2011 04:07PM

But surely a church isn't the time or place for a Tommy Tinkle.

Perhaps he was late for the ancient ceremony of Goose Blessing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.