New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Second hand bookshops
Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: May 28, 2003 03:56PM

I love browsing in second hand bookshops and charity shops and get a lot of my books from them (as I can get most of my new books free by contacting the publisher I save both ways!). Picked up a 1955 hardback edition of Katherine by Anya Seton last week for 70p.

However, I have never ever seen a Jasper Fforde title in any of them. Pratchett yes, Grisham yes, Rankin yes - but never a Jasper Fforde.

Surely that says something about the books? What it says I don't know but it must say something!

Re: Second hand bookshops
Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dyn-du.worldhq.net)
Date: May 28, 2003 04:14PM

Sorry to say I saw a copy of TEA on my favourite book stall, I shall hunt the blighter down and give them a good roasting

Posted by: Pilkijam (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: May 28, 2003 04:37PM

It may be pointing out the obvious but how many books has Jasper written? Two? Pratchett? Rankin? Grisham? Many. When were Jasper's published relatively recently the others have been around awhile.

Changes the odds surely.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: May 28, 2003 04:54PM

Ah - but Zadie Smith has only written two and I've seen quite a few copies of her books in the second hand market!

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: May 28, 2003 05:20PM

I don't think I've seen any Jasper - I tend to get really annoyed when I see people have given away books I think are great. There was a copy of Good Omens in the shop last time I went in, and I nearly bought it just cause I didn't like to see it sitting there....

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: May 28, 2003 06:54PM

I've just finished reading a borrowed copy of Good Omens myself. Great fun!

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: May 28, 2003 08:34PM

That reminds me I lent my copy of Good Omens and haven't got it back.

One of Terry Pratchett's books in top 100 is Nightwatch, that was only published last November

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 12:06AM

'Fashionable' books that sell in huge quantities seem to be the ones that end up in charity shops alarmingly soon - and often looking almost new. A couple of years ago, you couldn't find a charity shop which didn't have a copy of 'Bridget Jones' Diary'.
I suspect that Jasper's books are bought mostly by people who actually want to read and keep them, and especially book lovers who get the references. They aren't fashion accessories

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 12:24AM

Or bought for birthdays as they were recomended in a woman's magazine...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.