New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Princess Bride
Posted by: kaz (144.139.23.---)
Date: June 10, 2003 11:58PM

I read the book a long time ago, but I remember it being rather amusing. I prefer the movie, probably becuae I saw it before I read the book, so that's what's deeply imprinted on my sub-consiousness.

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2003 12:21AM

Weirdly, I was a bit disappointed by the book

a) Because it doesn't get some of the snappy one / two liners in that the film does
b) Because there is no Morgenstern who wrote a longer original version
c) Because of (b) the narrative seems completely inappropriate and unneccesary - like the 'story telling' bit in the film (forgivable because it's brief and it was the 80's) but I think the story is strong enough to stand by itself.

But this is pretty much the only time I'd be prepared to say that a film was better than a book.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 11, 2003 12:28AM

Hmmm, film better than book.

This is controversial, I know, but I'm tempted to say that the director's cut of Bladerunner is maybe better than the book "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

Though obviously for a given value of "better".

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2003 01:24AM

I've have the the book and thoughly enjoyed it but it's very difficult to get hold of. A friend had a pre-film edition, in which the narrator's text was in a different font from the main story.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 11, 2003 10:13AM

Re uses for dead people _ Dorothy Sayers wrote a story (starring Lord Peter Whimsey) about a murderer who electroplated his victims' remains and used them as avant-garde furniture.

And then (in the real world, during WW II) there was 'The Man Who Never Was' (in a project codenamed "Operation Mincemeat").

And, of course, if one has a necromancer's services available...

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Post Edited (06-11-03 11:14)

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.