New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: I hate fetes.
Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:39AM

Sounds like the Brain. 'The same thing we do every night, Pinky. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!"

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: June 20, 2003 05:17AM

I *was* restoring to before he asked, but still kept getting it wrong no matter what I brought. Was is a simple matter of trying a thousand times until it picked the tool I'd brought? I figured there was some clever trick to it I wasn't getting.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 20, 2003 03:21PM

Something by level 9, but I can't remember anything but 'abandon Hope'. To enter you went and got the sign outside the village of Hope and dumped it at the door. Can't remember what happened once you were in there ---

A few weeks later the Hobbit came out, and set a new standard.

So Dave, you remember Doomdark's Revenge! The makers promised a third in the trilogy, but I never saw hide nor hair of it. Is it known to you?

After a 27 hour continuous session of 'DR' involving a lot of 'save game' and picking a fortunate outcome on the morrow, I commanded 127 characters of the 128. Not surprisingly Shareth the Fay (Fey?) wouldn't play ball for any of them.

Post Edited (06-20-03 16:24)

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 03:32PM

ah, I recall it from my dim and distant past...

interesting background
[www.birdsanctuary.co.uk]

didn't realise they'd done a pc game of it...

[googles game title...]

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:41PM

Magda - not sure then - I don't have the programme any more :( Marvin does ask you for a specific tool, and I never had a problem with giving it to him once I'd worked out the whole going back to before he asked.

I've just found hidden away in my emulator stuff a version of the Hobbit, without instructions, unfortunately. Can anyone tell me what the commands are? (I've got Look, and directions, but can't do anything else!)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-25.med.umich.edu)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:53PM

I don't have it anymore either, actually.

I would save just before he asked, wait to see what he asked for, restore to the saved game, come in with the correct tool, and he'd ask for something else. Very annoying, and I never got past that point. Ah well.

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 05:01PM

Ah - it might be that you saved too close to when he asked. I had to go back quite a few moves in order to ensure I got the right tool.

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: June 21, 2003 04:44PM

OK, I've found the e-mail about the Scrabble, but apparently it still isn't my turn to play. I'll look again on Monday evening.

(And I see that my number of posts passed the impressive(to me, anyway)-looking threshold of 500 earlier today, without me noticing at the time: This is #506...)

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 07:40PM

Talking of tape recorders (as we were a while ago), I was recently alerted to the following item for sale on Ebay.

Anyone looking to replace their tape recorder might do worse than make a bid for this (I'm constantly amazed at what turns up on Ebay, but this really does "take the biscuit" as we say over here!)

item#2335666678: MUSCLE SHOALS SOUND RECORDING STUDIOS

Starts: Jul-16-03 13:59:17 PDT
Ends: Aug-15-03 13:59:17 PDT

Price: Starts at $650,000.00

Item Description:

Legendary recording studio located in Alabama, on the banks of the Tennessee River. The facility includes 2 complete recording studios, multiple offices, kitchen and dining area, recreation lounge, indoor parking, and over 10,000 square feet of undeveloped floor space suitable for audio / video facilities, additional offices, or living quarters.

Equipment includes a Neve 8068 32x16 console in Studio A and a Neve 8088 40x16 console with GML Series 2000 automation in Studio B, 2 Studer A820 24-track recorders with Dolby SR, an extensive inventory of outboard gear, microphones and keyboards. Included in the keyboards are 2 Hammond B-3
organs and a 9ft. Baldwin concert grand piano.

The facility is currently operational. Clients have included: Bob Dylan, Bob Seger, Glen Frey, Melissa Etheridge, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Julian Lennon.

To bid on the item, go to:
[cgi.ebay.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.