New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Shakespeare on the Run
Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 01:42PM

Just found this (via boingboing.net)
[www.newyorkled.com]
A performance of Much Ado About Nothing in Central Park in New York this month, where each scene is performed in different parts of the park and the audience and cast all have to run in between different rocks/trees/etc. sounds like fun, shame I'm on this side of the pond, any NYC fforumites seen this? Planning to see it?

Re: Shakespeare on the Run
Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 01:49PM

Heh. Sounds great.

I've seen a performance of Macbeth in Edinburgh that goes all round the city, using the graveyards and the back alleys as well as the Royal Mile and stuff, with the audience following the cast about and the tourists looking very confused as men in costume run down the Royal Mile quoting Shakespeare...

Actually, people are kind of used to it cos it's during the Fringe Festival, when you can't go anywhere without people doing odd things in the street.

I'm going to see Much Ado About Nothing in the Botanic Gardens this month. And A Midsummer Night's Dream, but it might be in a greenhousey thing. But Midsummer is a musical version with Cole Porter and Gershwin songs - should be fab!

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.fcla.edu)
Date: June 07, 2003 03:02PM

Oh, what a fun idea! Makes me wish I lived in NYC. Or won a plane ticket and the time off in a lottery. (Maybe I should include the hotel cost and the return ticket in that? Whatever.)

I bet the practices are fun to watch -- bunch of folks in jeans spouting lines and hopping picnic blankets and other people stopping them in midline saying "No, no. Julia -- Proteus would never buy that. Let's try something else. Where's Thurio?. [louder] Has anybody seen Thurio?"

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 11:35PM

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for some audience participation :)

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: June 08, 2003 12:24AM

Not to brag but we've had Shakespeare in the Park here in my home town for a good 8 years or more. It's performed in the Botanical Gardens with the scenes in different parts as described by Fuzz.

Fuzz? Where did that name come from? Or shouldn't I ask?

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 08, 2003 01:48PM

Kaz: fuzz come's from my overly curly hair, see the 'This may have been discussed before' thread just down the way, and where's your home town?

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 08, 2003 10:17PM

I think I've converted a friend to Jasper's works. I was pleased when Sandy phoned this morning, as she lives in Reading and we usually see each other about 5 times a year when she comes to Sheffield for parties. I was rather surprised when she asked if she could pop round for a chat; there was no big party, so I had no idea she was in Sheffield.

I'd told her about the visit to Haworth in an e-mail, and couldn't resist telling her about the knicker-stealing dog (guaranteed to make Sandy howl with laughter). And hence got onto the fforum and Thursday. Sandy's a well-read sort, and had recently been on a visit to Jane Austen's house. I started by telling her about Will-Speak machines, and then the audience participation Richard III, which she loved. I read a couple of choice moments from LIAGB to her (can't find TEA, must have loaned it to someone - again) and then let her read some for herself. When she left, she promised to find Jasper's books as soon as possible.
Job done !

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: June 09, 2003 12:47AM

Fuzz: I live in Hobart, in Tasmania, in Australia. Wanna come visit?

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: June 09, 2003 03:29AM

Oddly enough, I saw a performance of 'Much Ado' on Thursday night, done in precisely this fashion in the 123 acre Nichols Arboretum in at University of Michigan. Not quite Central Park, but we did have to walk a fair distance between some of the scenes, including treks up grassy hills and lots of steps.

The small medieval/reniassance singing group I'm in sang a few songs before the play began for the opening night, and got to stay and see the play for free. Mind you, I could have done without having to sing immediately after the brisk 10 minute walk, up and down steep hills part of the way, to get to the starting location. I had to breathe more often than usual, which wasn't ideal since I was alone on the alto or second soprano line on at least 2 or three of the songs (There were only 4 of us there, since the other 3 regulars had other commitments that night). Ain't exercise induced asthma great (not). We'll be going back in greater force to sing before the performance on the 14th (which was the best Saturday for everyone), and I'll make sure we meet earlier, and preferably at the starting location rather than at the gate.

I was glad they'd warned us to wear good walking shoes, and to bring chairs or blankets to sit on. The play was quite well done. They had almost no set type scenery, but rather used the trees very creatively (particularly in the scenes in which people are overhearing things and reacting to them).

[www.lsa.umich.edu]

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: June 09, 2003 05:23PM

I've seen Shakespeare in Central Park in this fashion and it's quite a bit of fun!

I didn't know there was one coming up so soon - I'll have to go see this one. Of course with the current weather(gee, it's raining again) I better bring my boots and umbrella.

I'll let you all know how it is afterword.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.