New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Second hand bookshops
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 02:06PM

Best second hand bookshop I've ever been to.

www.barterbooks.co.uk

In Alnwick, 30 miles north of Newcastle. Superb. Enormous. Really really big. you might think it's a long way down the road to the chemists, but that peanuts to this place. It's in the old station in Alnwick, the waiting rooms have been converted into reading rooms, with roaring log fires (useful on a day like yesterday when it was sheeting down).

If you're ever nearby. Go.

Re: Second hand bookshops
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 05:53PM

But what reason would anybody ever have for being nearby? Apart from being en route to or from raiding Scotland, of course...

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Andrea (81.152.255.---)
Date: June 09, 2003 06:17PM

I can recommend IMT ( interstellar master traders) in Lancaster, owned by a certain ppint.

It is a scifi, fantasy, roll play book shop and sells new and some hard to find books, ppint will search for books if they are not in stock and keeps a list of things requested.

mention me if you go, ppint's nice.

We could perhaps see if Jasper wants to go there to do a signing, I know ppint would be delighted to host one, we've talked about it in the past, though the shop is in the middle of renovation at the moment.

these are the details
- interstellar master traders 33 north road, lancaster LA1-1NS england
- lancaster's sf,f+h book, role-playing game, ccg, nccg & boardgame shop
- <www.i-m-t.demon.co.uk>
- +44-775-2018532 & +44-1524-382181
- open 10(ish) - 7pm uk time (gmt/gmt +1 summer) monday-saturday

anyone live that way?

Andrea

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 06:26PM

Top reasons to visit the North-East:

1: Durham. Entire city centre has been declared a World Heritage Site, and is surrounded by beautiful woods leading down to the river that encircles it. The castle is interesting enough, but the cathedral takes the breath away. The cathedral was voted Britain's favourite building, and it's easy to see why - huge sandstone pillars, a soaring tower (with a fantastic view from the top) and all in a dramatic setting high above the river. Everybody should visit Durham once in their life, but make sure you arive by train.

If you want a spot of more recent history, find Shincliffe Colliery (actually in Houghall) - the first pit to be reclaimed in the world after the council planted trees on the sppoil tip - Shincliffe colliery is now covered with woodland. The only hint that any industry ever took place here is the cap that covers the main pitshaft and the foundations of the pit village that grew up. Kicking away at the soil reveals the brickwork of the old village being reclaimed by nature. Strangely moving, especially as the light grows golden with the evening.

2: Newcastle. Allegedly the best place for a party in Britain, Newcastle has much more to offer. Possibly two of the most famous bridges in the country, right next to each other. The thing about Newcastle is the capacity it has to surprise you - as it did me when I discovered one of the galleries that was tucked away. I ended up walking around barefoot as my shoes were squeaking. My favourite place in Newcastle is the Kofi outlet overlooking the Grey Monument, upstairs in French Connection. Sit by a window and watch the world go by. Priceless.

3: Hadrian's Wall. Welcome to the edge of the civilised world. Hadrian's Wall does not, in fact, mark the border with Scotland. There isn't actually that much to see in many places, but then you'll suddenly find a section. They've just opened a long-distance footpath along it, so expect it to be more travelled soon.

4: The coast. Beautiful - from the cliffs of County Durham to the rolling dunes of Northumbria. Lindisfarne is pretty interesting, but spend a fine summer evening on the dunes near Bamburgh and I promise you you'll never forget it. Seen through the slight haze as the sun sets the Farne Islands made me cry. You have to hunt for the best spots, but even the less good ones are fantastic.

5: Teesdale. Part of the Penines. Rolling moorland with a rich history of lead mining, crofting and other industry all hidden away. You could spend a summer walking through Teesdale and never discover every secret.

--------------------------------------------------------

And that's only the obvious reasons to visit. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Post Edited (06-09-03 19:29)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 09, 2003 06:35PM

psd - I'm shocked, how could you leave out the world renowed 'Rupali' Restaurant in Newcastle? :) A visit there alone is positively an education in itself.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 06:37PM

Put it at number 6, then ;-)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: June 09, 2003 06:44PM

Thank you! I suppose I should add a caveat, going to the Rupali does very much depend on what kind of education you're looking for.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 09, 2003 06:48PM

I once spent a very happy week in Durham doing an OU summer school. It was hard work, but it did include an afternoon off to go sightseeing, and go I did! I've also been to Newcastle, another lovely city, where the locals a) are very friendly, b) put walnuts into all kinds of unlikely things including Black Forest cherry cake (fortunately I like walnuts), and c) have a great sense of humour. Where else would you find a cafe called "Get Stuffed"?

By the way, Andrea, I assume this chap ppint in Lancaster is the one mentioned in the dedication to one of Terry Pratchett's books? - can't just remember the title, but it's the one where Susan Death has to deal with Mr Teatime. I could go and look at his shop the next time I visit my parents; they are in Kendal, which is not too far away.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: June 09, 2003 06:55PM

Good memory for dedications there Sarah. It's Hogfather, with the excellently psychotic Mr Teh-ah-time-eh.

And what makes a guerilla bookshop? (apart from one that sells the Anarchists Cookbook and such like)

Date: June 09, 2003 06:56PM

the very same, it's Hogfather dell says

Ppint is a wonderful person and a great friend

---

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

---

---

Date: June 09, 2003 07:01PM

oops it's at it again

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 10, 2003 12:46AM

I have two favourite second-hand bookshops in Norfolk. There's one in Wymondham I called the magic bookshop - it's actually the Town Green bookshop, or Thompson's. I've bought most of my western reference books there, along with many more on transport, crime, war history, music and cinema. The owner is keen on folk music and is in fact related to Richard Thompson (second cousins, or something). There's an excellent selection of music and folk related books and mags, and lots of everything else. At Christmas, there's usually a bowl of pic and mix for customers to help themselves :)

The other is a more recent discovery in Norwich - Bookman, tucked away in a little medieaval courtyard off Pottergate. Another warm friendly shop but a favourite of mine because one of the owners, Elaine, collects pony books, as I do. Pony books aren't common collectors items so when I found so many in her shop, I stopped to talk to her and found out her interest. She sends me lists of new books now and again, and usually gives me a little discount, or a freebie, as a regular customer.

I *really* need to get some new bookshelves......

Posted by: kaz (144.139.78.---)
Date: June 10, 2003 04:42AM

Hubby told me that when (ever) we build our dream house one whole wall will be made into bookshelves just for me. I said 'Thanks hun. That means I'll now have two large bookshelves with no books in them that I will have to fill.'

The look he gave me could have frozen the Equator. He just doesn't understand.

Date: June 10, 2003 09:11AM

PSD: We were actually staying not far from Bamburgh, and did indeed wander along the beach near there (Beadnell) as the sun was going down. Spoilt slightly by some goon on a jetski who kept whizzing past at high speed and falling off.

I'd agree with your list, but swap 1 & 2 (being a geordie, newcastle takes precedence), and add on a visit to the new millennium bridge and the quayside. Good bars down that way. Oh, and if it's an education you're after, a trip down to the Bigg Market is in order. Just don't wear a coat, whatever the weather... :-)

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 10, 2003 09:13AM

Ben _
I wasn't suggesting that there was nothing at all of interest in the north-east of England, just that Alnwick itself (which is, after all, beyond many of the sites that you mentioned) was far enough off the beaten track that the location of such an establishment there surprised me. Does it get much passing trade? Do enough tourists visit the castle (if it's open to the public; I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's still occupied) to make a bookshop nearby viable? Or is this bookshop run by somebody who's always wanted one and can afford to indulge their whims?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Date: June 10, 2003 09:17AM

You do get a lot of tourists up that way, as large(ish) towns are in fairly short supply. Plus the bookshop is advertised in all the leaflets and brochures on the area.

iirc, it was actually opened by someone who fancied running a bookshop...

"Back in April 1991, and in the face of a rather large overdraft, Mary Manley decided to open a secondhand bookshop - one that would be based on the swap system and called Barter Books. Her husband, Stuart, immediately took to the idea and suggested that Mary open the shop in the front room of what was then his small manufacturing plant, located in Alnwick's magnificent old Victorian railway station. From that time a joint partnership was formed that would eventually result in what the New Statesman magazine would call 'The British Library of secondhand bookshops'"

Posted by: Dell (81.152.255.---)
Date: June 10, 2003 09:58AM

Ppint. is great! He gives brilliant hugs *grin*

Though, his shop has caused me no end of problems - I based my A level Computing coursework around his shop. My tutors weren't happy about it. Oh well.

He sells a lot of good stuff. If you can find it ;)

Date: June 10, 2003 09:59AM

There's the Angel of the North too, at Gateshead. Really want to go and see that because I love Antony Gormley's sculptures.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.