New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
That playlist revealed...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 14, 2003 12:53PM

For anyone who cared about who were responsible for those songs...

1: Patio Song

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - off 'Barafundle'. I got together with my ex-fiancee listening to this track. My interest in Gorky's stemmed from various NME articles describing them as weird Welshmen, and I then saw them live at the Phoenix. Patio Song suddenly switches into welsh halfway through; to my shame I've forgotten the translation.

2: Can't Help Fallin' In Love (B-side, cover version, just to complicate matters, but very good it was too)

Eels, my favourite band. A cover done for the back of the 'Souljacker' single, IIRC. Absolutely stripped to the core of the song- just piano and E singing.

3: How Much I've Lied

Written by Gram Parsons, performed by Evan Dando on a bootleg I've got. And very good it is too. I listened to it a lot after I last split up with someone.

4: Streets of Philladelphia (not the original version)

Cover by Marah, it says here. It's a bluegrass version, and works far better than it has any right to. I prefer it to the original, scarily enough.

5: Glorious (cheesy, but brilliant...)

Andreas Jonsson (probably spelt wobbly). I nicked it off the Cold Feet album. Great for just before you go out for the evening.

6: Pockets on Fire

Anna Ryder, off her Fairport Convention tour album. Great song about the crap that blokes carry about with them. Great beat to it, despite being one woman and a guitar. Odd tuning makes the guitar more interesting than normal, with loads of little runs and clever lyrics.

7: Without You (no, not that one...)

Asia. Told you there was some prog-rock in here. I think this song is romantic, I've never been entirely sure that it isn't about something entirely different. It has that feeling of a misty morning in a forest in some mediaeval epic film. Sad but true...

8: Brick

Ben Folds' Five. Off 'Whatever and Ever, Amen' album. 'Song for the Dumped' is great if you get chucked, but this song is really moving. It sounds great if you play it very simply on a guitar, too.

9: Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key

Billy Bragg/Wilco, off 'Mermaid Avenue'. Lyrics by Woody Guthrie. Title describes my singing, but this song is so simple, and really sticks in my head.

10: Andrew Ridgely

Black Box Recorder. Got this off a freebie cd with Uncut magazine. THis song is almost as good as the brilliant 'Facts of Life', but I reckoned you'd all know that one.

11: Not Even Stevie Nicks (okay, not so good - but great title)

Calexico. I know nothing about this band other than they know a good title for a song.

12: Leavin'

Shelby Lynne, off 'I am Shelby Lynne'. Older sister of Allison Moorer, this mixes soul and country. Quite sublime, as is 'Where I'm from', which is one of my favourite late night tunes.

13: She Fell Into My Arms (a soundtrack to a love affair this one)

Ed Harcourt, off 'Here Be Monsters'. All about falling in love with someone you shouldn't. Piano driven tune, with cracking bass. At the time it was released I was sort of drifting into a relationship with one of my best friends, and we both knew what was happening but were trying desperately hard not to notice. Lines like 'I don't mind if I lose, 'cause if I win I'll be so confused' really resonated with the two of us. Turn it up loud and lose yourself, it's brilliant.

14: How It All Started In The Kitchen

The story I alluded to here is indeed my ex-fiancee. We got together listening to Patio Song, in a friends kitchen (to be even more precise, my ex-girlfriend-of-an-hour-previously's kitchen). Everyone was a bit surprised by it, and delicately left the kitchen. I was equally surprised. In a n extra twist she introduced me to this song. It's by the Lemonheads.

15: Walk Away

Originally by Ben Harper, covered by Eliza Carthy. A song about not being able to break up and move on. Covered the whole period of my life when I couldn't understand or cope with seeing Anna, but couldn't cope without her. The whole song is about trying to convice yourself to walk away, but keeps coming back to the excuses. 'They say time will make this pain go away, but it's time that has taken my tomorrows and turned them into yesterdays'. Off the 'Red Rice' double album - one half modern folk, one half trad. Very good.

16: Certainly

Erykah Badu. Off a freebie album I got years ago. Late night jazz kind of thing. Great bass to it.

17: All My Life (have I already listed this bloke?)

Evan Dando. Okay, I've already listed him. Sort of. He was in the Lemonheads, and covered the Gram Parsons one above. At the height of the Lemonheads' fame he self-destructed. This a song about self-delusion. 'All my life, I thought I needed all the things I didn't need at all'. Great melody, and it really sticks in your head. Off the 'Baby I'm Bored' album. Fantastic album with a mix of acoustic tunes with a pop sensability, with a lot of gentle country influences.

18: Natural One

Folk Implosion. Off an old compilation I had lying about. I know next to nothing about them, but great name for a band. From the soundtrack from 'Kids', it says here... Quite atmospheric.

19: Polyesterday

Gus Gus. Another old compilation carrying gems. Laid back, and more great bass.

20: Spirit of Man (Duballadub) - (Composer or artists accepted)

Off the remastered version of Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds' (does this count as prog-rock? I fear it does). I discovered the album when I was about 7, and had to buy it when I saw it. There's four new mixes off various bits as a bonus, and this is the best of them. Features Phil Lynott (going completely over the top, although he was playing a nutter, so we'll forgive him) and Julie Covington. Fantastic reggae beat to this, and kind of spaced out too... If you liked the original concept, check this out.

21: Outta Space

Jimi Tenor. No other evidence offered.

22: Nice Weather For Ducks

Lemon Jelly. 'All the ducks are swimming in the water. Tra-la-la-la-lala.' No idea what the album's called, this is sounds like a remix of a nursery rhyme. Brilliant, if disturbing...

23: Stripper Vicar (in the words of Glenda Slagg - crazy title, crazy song!)

Mansun. Was tempted to put 'The Chad Who Loved Me' here, but this is a better title still.

24: It's a Girl Thing

My Life Story, off 'Joined Up Talking'. I'm sure the single version was better, but don't have a copy. Great for singing along to even if you don't know the lyrics. Whcih I don't, having joined in too enthusiastically with the 'nah nah nah'-ing everytime I hear it.

25: The Ballad of Robert Moore & Betty Coltrane

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Bird marries a couple of ugly blokes, and tries to escape by hiding under the table. One husband kills the other, Betty kills remaining one and apologises to barman before heading off into the sunset. No, really.

26: All Around the World or The Myth of the Fingerprints

Paul Simon, off 'Graceland'. Great beat, gets me tapping my feet everytime.

27: Complainte de la Butte

Rufus Wainwright, off the 'Moulin Rouge' Soundtrack. I've got the double album version, which actually has 'Like a Virgin' on it. And 'The Pitch', and the closing music, which is great to fall asleep to. As is this one.

28: Cold as Ice (XFM Session - yup, another cover)

Sebadoh, very stripped down, and quite brilliant.

29: The Weight (either version - cover or original)

Originally The Band, covered by Travis in their live gigs. I saw them do it at Glasto, and loved every second. It sounds brilliant in both versions.

30: Bumble Bee Boy

Wannadies. It's silly, but another toe-tapper with a nice sing along feel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognise them now?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Re: That playlist revealed...
Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 14, 2003 01:09PM

The only ones I recognised other that Paul Simon were ones my mum listens to. Yes she has a very unusual choice of music for someone her age :-)

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Date: June 14, 2003 01:16PM

Which ones? My choice in music owes a lot to my parents and to a couple of exes, althoug the biggest change was when I bought an album after liking one song and resolved to buy more stuff without caution. Some are duffs, but more oftne than not I get something I like. I discovered the Goo Goo Dolls after recognising the name but not knowing a single song. Brilliant stuff...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 14, 2003 01:24PM

1, 3, 4, 5 possibly, 6, 15, 18, 20 (this one's one of mine- patr of music to be depressed to) 29

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 14, 2003 01:59PM

Wow, lot's of good songs there, I'll have to investigate some of the others. all the more interesting because I can see they mean a lot to you, not sure if I'd be brave enough to list the resons i like some of the songs I do, actually, I do know, I wouldn't be brave enough, even with you nice people here.
two things, the Lemon Jelly album is called 'Lost Hoizons', and it comes in a lovely wrapper (www.lemonjelly.ky).
and the other thing, I have the single version of 'It's a Girl Thing', but it's back in Chelt, pester me around the begining of july and I'll send you a copy, I've also, somewhere got a really good live version they did for (i think) Steve Lermack (sp?).

Ok, maybe I'm just brave enough to do one...
'Don't Falter', by Mint Royale sung by Lauren Laverne, a happy sunny song that taught me what it was like to be in love, long before I ever was. Best line, '...when you're with me, it's always summer...'
Ooo, I feel all summery just listening to it again, happy tune, happy memories.

Date: June 14, 2003 02:32PM

That is a bloody good song, now you mention it.

PSD

==========

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 14, 2003 03:17PM

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - sounds a bit like Jacques Clouseau to me.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 14, 2003 03:33PM

I haven't heard the Eels cover version of "Can't help falling love" but I have to seek that out now. My two favourites still remain 'Mr E's Beautiful Blues', love that warm and fuzzy guitar sound and the chorus, and the track that got me into them 'Novocaine for the soul'.

PSD - Thanks for posting your list, never would have worked out all those!

Post Edited (06-14-03 16:46)

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: June 15, 2003 11:50PM

I loved Don't Falter - bought the Mint Royale album on the strength of it, which turned out to be a bit silly.

Argh! PSD, a few of those turned out to be by bands I liked I haven't kept up with recently. Don't even know of the *album* by My Life Story - last one I got was the re-issue of Mornington Crescent. I love listening to Suited and Booted before I go out. And the last Wannadies thing I bought was Hit - I did notice the other day they were still about. I still love You and Me Song, but their best that I've heard is Might Be Stars.

I'm sure I know things about Folk Implosion. I thought I knew the song title, and then thought I was mixing it up with You're One by, er, someone else around the same time. Arse, my memory *has* gone to hell. Right, I've had to look it up - Lou Barlow from Sebadoh was in Folk Implosion. And he also had a fantastic song called "In the city, in the rain" on an album called Wasps Nests by the Sixths. (Try and ask for that in a shop...)

And You're One was by Imperial Teen, apparently.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: June 16, 2003 12:02AM

And for my own one:

1. I wasn't built to get up

Supernaturals. Not necessarily their best song, but Smile has been overused in adverts and that since.

2. wig in a box

From the musical Hedwig and The Angry Inch. Fantastic transvestite rock anthem.

3. a drinking song

Divine Comedy.

4. the summer wasting

Belle and Sebastian eulogise doing nothing. (The only line I don't agree with says "say cheerio to books now, the only things I read are faces" but I get past it by telling myself they mean textbooks.)

5. when she cries

Restless Heart. I know nothing about these people so they're probably very dodgy, but Atlantic 252 used to play this song repeatedly about 15 years ago and it stuck in my head till kazaa came into my life and I was able to get it.

6. suicide is painless (cover)

Marilyn Manson

7. strangeways inside

Mull Historical Society.

8. karaoke queen

Catatonia - another song that you just *have* to jump about to.

9. hey hey michael you're really fantastic

Rachel Stamp

10. my cousin kevin

Undertones, wrongly quoted, of course...

11. let's misbehave

Cole Porter, from some versions of Anything Goes, and probably something else as he tended to re-use his songs. I am a bit of a musicals freak.

12. eddie's teddy

Rocky Horror. I was in a production of this in Glasgow on Halloween 2001 - one of the best nights of my life! And one of my best mates sang this and then revealed his stockinged leg...if you knew him you'd know how funny this was.

13. goddess on a highway

mercury rev

14. oblivion

the much-missed Terrorvision

15. she don't use jelly

Flaming Lips

16. hometown unicorn

Super Furry Animals

17. girl from mars

Ash. Reminds me of a specific day up a hill in an old ruin filming an amateur sci-fi film. Very few songs remind me of specific things or people, but this is one of them.

18. rest in peace

From the Buffy musical :o) Spike sings it. It's a "rock" track, but you can't go that rocky in a buffy musical. I'd love to hear it done to a real rock background.

19. lolita elle

Rialto

20. long live the uk music scene

Helen Love. Refers to such a specific moment in time that it's really dated already, but still fantastic. Namechecks the Bluetones, Chris Evans, Jonny Cigarettes, Shed Seven - suddenly it's 1997 again!

Date: June 16, 2003 06:29PM

Actually a lot of my stuff is quite old now.

Belochka - Eels have a new album out, which I'm dying to get when I have the cash. It's called 'Shootenanny' and has a black cover with yellow title, and no picture.

Dante - Bluetones are stil about. I saw them at Glasto a couple of years ago, but also saw them on TV plugging new material a couple of months back. The problem now is you've got me reaching for my guitar...

*sings* "Toni-i-i-i-i-ght..."

PSD

==========

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 16, 2003 06:44PM

Yeah, I heard something about the Bluetones being about recently. Odd.

Trying to pay a bit more attention to music again. I like the new Thrills song.

Ooh, All I Want For Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit (HMHB - I know Jon likes it, not sure about anyone else!) is going to be on the Whistle Test Years on Thursday. Er...not much use to Jon then. Not to worry.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 16, 2003 07:39PM

PSD - Snap! Shootenanny is on my list of things that I will buy when someone gives me some proper money, or I do some proper work, whichever happens first.

Read some stormingly good reviews about the album too.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: June 17, 2003 12:28PM

Dante: When's the Whistle Test Years on ? Is it HMHB or just the one song ?

Date: June 17, 2003 12:46PM

11.50pm on BBC2 on Thursday, it seems. I think it's just the one song - it's years 1986-87, though, so there might be other entertaining stuff.

Date: June 17, 2003 12:56PM

Cheers for that. It should be fun.

Date: June 17, 2003 12:52PM

Could be fun. Thanks for the info.

Was Dukla Prague Away Kit that late ? I'm sure I remember listening to HMHB when I was at school. I must be getting old...

Date: June 17, 2003 01:10PM

Hmm... Curious things are happening.

I posted the second post first. It wasn't working so I reloaded the page and did the second shorter reply (which here appears first); although the times are about right (ie. the wrong way round and out by an hour).

V. weird.

Date: June 17, 2003 01:10PM

*shrug* don't know...I didn't know they existed till about 1996. Never seen them live. They don't seem to tour...

Date: June 17, 2003 01:12PM

Times are always out by an hour for me.

The HMHB website proves me wrong about gigs by saying they're playing Stourbridge on the 24 July. Where dat, then?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.