New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Life is too short.....
Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:48PM

Swindonian (Naomi isn't it or am I getting confused? -- Swindonian seems a little formal somehow)

I was kind of aware that the old pronunciation was dying out (my aunt lives near Sissiter and still calls it that, but yes, she's determinedly eccentric.)

Gumster for Godmanchester is now actually quite rare here too (only 10 miles away) –– but I just like to remind people how bizarre English can be at every available opportunity!

I think the reason these local pronunciations are disappearing is that the locals are now at least partly made up of people who didn't grow up in the area. So Gloucester and Leicester are probably safe, as they're the names of counties/ships/dukes/streets in London, and much more widely known. And nobody except peoiple from Norfolk (or should that be Norfick?) ever new about Stiffkey in the first place!

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:00AM

I have several friends and colleagues who make a living by americanising/americanizing and anglicising/anglicizing educational books, but yes, with fiction the publishers don't seem to bother. And indeed how could you? The cultural significance of the difference between Thursday's Swindon and our Swindon would take a multi-volume thesis at the very least.

Which is of course part of the joy of Mr Ff's work . . .

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:10AM

In the UK county itself, the true pronounciation is 'Narf'lk', bor. I was born and raised there, so I have some claim to being a Norfolk dumpling, but it's my brother, Chris, who speaks with the Norfolk burr - and he was born in Lancashire !

Come to think of it, I probably know more Sheffield dialect now than I ever did Norfolk. Not many of my schoolfriends were born and bred Norfolk folk and I didn't really start listening to the way people spoke until a year or two before I left. I don't sound like a born Sheffielder but I use phrases like 'I'm busy while four, then I can phone', without thinking.

Sheffielders with definite accents tend to think I sound posh. I don't really, I just don't have a particular accent. If I was posh, I'd sound more like PSD.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:11AM

Me? Posh?

*walks away shaking head in disbelief*

Post Edited (06-19-03 01:12)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:47AM

I was born in a country town here called New Norfolk, commonly pronounced 'Norfik'. My folks come from Launceston (also here in Aus, not the one over there) pronounced Lon-Ces-Ton. WOE betide any mainlander who dares pronounce it "Lawn-ces-ton." People have killed for less.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 09:14AM

PSD - *Warning - Imminent Pedantic Outburst*

I found this post on the Virtual Shropshire site, author rights to 'Alison':

"Shropshire" comes from the Old English "Scrobbesbyrigscir", the shire with Shrewsbury at its head. The Normans found both Shrewsbury and Shropshire,"Scrobbesbyrig" & "Scrobbesbyrigscir" difficult to pronounce.So they softened them to "Salopsberia" & "Salopescira", and Salop was the shortened form of both."

No idea as to the veracity of this, but it remains a terminal wrangle within that county. I also have no clue as to how you pronounce the OE versions! Apparently 'Salop' also means tart in French.

Skiffle - I think I've got the same Wordsworth edition of M.R. James that you do, it's very comprehensive.

Post Edited (06-19-03 10:16)

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:07PM

Well I'd never had thought Shrewsbury and Shropshire came from the same origin. York and Yorkshire I can figure, but Shrewsbury and Shropshire !!

I'm surprise Dave hasn't trundled out his Cahir story again...

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 12:01AM

Belochka: Mine's a complete Penguin edition of M R James. It's a 1984 reprint of the 1931 original collection

PSD: Sarah agreed with me about the way you speak. And like I said, you read poetry beautifully.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:37AM

I like the way you speak, PSD. I think you do it wonderfully well. I've never heard you speak, but I like it anyway.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.