New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pen Pals?!
Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:56AM

Pilkijam - What?

Posted by: Pilkijam (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 01:11PM

Kaz, what you say? Sure the Federation doesn't exist (if you email the save the biro campaign you will receive a reply, I am fairly sure about that) but of you type "Adopt a Rock" in a search engine such as google you'll come with a number of sites actually asking you to adopt a rock which leads rather a perilous life in the sporting world of curling.

People part with their hard earned quite easily and sometimes foolishly - buying plots of land on the moon (anybody fancy buying a sizeable strip of coastline on the mare of tranquility please contact me) and whatnot I once purchased all of Limpbizkit's albums for example.

Like everyone I'm looking for an easy way out of working everyday. I have less chance of winning the national lottery than anyone else on the forum as I don't but a ticket, I don't do the pools or bingo. so if I can think of a scheme good enough I can kick back, relax and enjoy life!

Perhaps I should place an advert in Private Eye "Civil Servant wishes to retire early. Contributions in all legal tender greatfully received".

On a side note anybody fancy some limited edition Invisible action figures? There is also an accessory range for the action figures?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 01:49PM

I don't buy lottery tickets, either. Does anybody here actually do so?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 02:09PM

Gosh, no. I'm a mathematician by training.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 02:37PM

I've never bought a lottery ticket either. If I'm going to gamble I prefer to have some semblance of excitement before losing money. For preference that'd be horse racing or Black Jack.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2003 02:39PM

sometimes I'll buy our State scratch off games to put in gifts or care packages for people who live elsewhere, but I just do it for fun, not expecting to win anything.

Besides, in our state, the proceeds from the lottery go towards education and road maintenance, so call it a stupidity tax if you want, but at least it funds the next generation of idiots :)

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 04:10PM

I bought a lottery ticket once. And a few scratch cards. Never again! (lost far too much money whilst bored...)

Mathematically, I know my numbers have an equal chance of coming up. However, I've never seen more than 3. Mainly because my numbers are 4,9,16,25,36,49, and I think the papers would have a field day if all the square numbers came up!

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: June 19, 2003 10:01PM

I buy the odd one - won a few paltry sums but never more than £90 pounds.

Prefer to have an each way bet on a horse - I go for the name. If it's got a historical connection, then that's my horse!

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 12:16AM

I once actually entered a betting shop and put money on a horse. It fell and broke its neck. I've never dared try again since; I like horses.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:34AM

Skiffle, the horse murderer!

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 09:42AM

we bought everyone at our wedding a lottery scratchcard as a wedding favour, working on the assumption that
a. not everyone likes sugared almonds
b. someone might win some cash.

A few people came out of it with a couple of quid, but nearly everyone thought it was a great idea.

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 12:24PM

Nice one Dave - might have to steal that for the upcoming festivities.

Posted by: Pilkijam (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: June 20, 2003 01:16PM

I've never bought a lottery ticket so my odds of winning aren't really all that great! I did however buy half a scratch card - my mate fancied a go but only had 50p on him - and won £35 (half of seventy) which was nice! Haven't bought one since.

Maybe I'd be encouraged to take part if the money actually went to good causes rather than the usual theatres, opera houses and dubious scientific institutions like those involved in cloning. I mean what was the first animal they allegedly cloned? A sheep! An animal well renowned for looking indentical in the first place!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: June 20, 2003 08:28PM

I used to buy lottery tickets when i worked in a shop that sold them... Haven't bought one for a year or so, but I usually check the numbers cos I always used to put the same ones on, and I wouldn't have won anything in the last year. So that makes me happy.

(If I disappear, all my numbers will have come up when I have no ticket, and I'll have jumped off a cliff...)

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: June 21, 2003 04:36PM

My favourite 'National Lottery' story dates all the way back to the day of the very first draw: When they held a full rehearsal in the television studio a few hours before the real one the numbers that came up just happened to be those which a syndicate of the studio's staff (cameramen, lighting technicians, sound men, & whatever...) had chosen for their first entry in the real contest! Imagine how disappointed they must have been that it was only the rehearsal, and imagine the public outcry there'd probably have been if that had occurred in the (VERY FIRST) genuine draw instead...

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.