New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clocks
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:01AM

Re why the times that the fforum ascribes to posts are an hour fast by British standards _ Maybe the Nextian version of England changed over to 'Central European Time' during the Occupation, never switched back, and is somehow influencing the fforum's programming?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Re: Clocks
Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:46AM

Chronoguards.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:46AM

You know, that actually makes a lot of sense... in Nextian terms, anyway! :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 12:38PM

ISP situated in foreign land.

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: June 18, 2003 02:34PM

Aaah yes it's probably in Wales :)

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 05:08PM

I think I've got the hang of the time discrepancy now, not a fault but a feature!
So if my computer suddenly decides that its actually 1985 it doesn't mean that its all gone runny then?

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 19, 2003 01:05AM

What are you lot worried about. I wrote this at 10.00am. What time does it tell you I posted it?

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: June 19, 2003 03:06AM

And I'm posting this at 10pm.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 07:42AM

Maybe we could switch over to 'Co-ordinated Universal Time', I'm sure I had some cesium around here somewhere...

As long as we don't all have to change over to metric hours, I can't calculate that at all.

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 11:24AM

I'm never particularly bothered - the clock on my computer runs down anyway (I thought digital clocks couldn't do that?) It's lost 2 minutes in the last week and a half...

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2003 11:54AM

you just need a new battery, Jo. The little tiny one that sits on your momma board.

You know, most people don't realize that if your clock is losing time or coming up with random times that you can actually really screw up your filing system depending on the platform of Windows you use. It's notorious on 98! Gotten somewhat better by XP though, but I still notice it.

(really messes up when it comes to searching for files with the "FIND" feature!)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:42PM

Can be useful. Get a free one month trial version of some software you can't quite justify paying for or won't use regularly, then change the system clock whenever it complains that the trial has expired. Remember to change it back when you've done.

Posted by: einalem (---.auckland.clix.net.nz)
Date: June 19, 2003 11:25PM

They're really good for leaving work early... speed up the clock, log off the system, then turn it back before shut down. (I've heard)

Post Edited (06-20-03 00:25)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.