New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New market opening for Mr Ff!
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 06:34PM

They (they in this case being crazy antipodean scientists, reknowned for their work on kangaroo/boy telepathic linkages) are now teaching cows to read...

Now, who wants to start teaching crustaceans?

EDIT--> Oh, yeah, better put the reference.... [www.ananova.com]

Post Edited (06-18-03 19:35)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Re: New market opening for Mr Ff!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 09:01PM

I checked on Crustaceans via the standard route, and found there are none. In Nn where n >= 4, this will be found to be due to one of Sarah's cakes.

Are they teaching the cows WHAT to read? A cow with an education could be real trouble.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 09:54PM

Cows can see colours, when did that happen? I await with avid interest the first cow to get through their version of 'Peter and Jane'.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:02PM

Well, as far as I recall cows are red/green colour blind, but then this doesn't mean that they can't respond to different shades (ie luminosity) - in the same way that you can spot different shades of grey. It's just more convenient to refer to colour as that's the way we're conditioned to think as humans with colour vision. Besides, we'd probably spot the difference in colour rather than the luminosity.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:31PM

Anyone seriously worried about educated cows should check out:

[www.cowswithguns.com]

Dana's 'title' track -- Cows With Guns -- which funnily enough you have to dig about a bit to find -- is worth the effort on its own.

Enjoy!

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:54AM

Guy - that song is an absolute classic and should be emblazoned on MacDonalds wrappers the world over.

And no, I'm not a vegetarian. Just someone with a wicked sense of humour.

Posted by: einalem (---.auckland.clix.net.nz)
Date: June 19, 2003 07:37AM

Teaching cows to read came up on a *very* slow news night here. Obviously.
Simply 'cause it got on the news. Right?
oh dear, southern hemisphere at the butt of the jokes. again.
(i'm sure the cows found it very interesting, the ones with their own tvs anyway)

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: June 19, 2003 07:38AM

I didn't even hear that one until I checked out this thread. I'm now fairly certain I didn't need to know.

Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: June 19, 2003 11:27AM

Wow wow wow wow!
Guy you are a star!
I heard 'cows with guns' out in Australia, and was completely unable to find it anywhere afterwards (I even emailed the radio station to find out who wrote it, but they never replied :( ) For some reason my many searches on the web never came up with the website you've posted.

Happy now :)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.