New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Movie???
Posted by: Deetj (216.165.231.---)
Date: June 18, 2003 08:26PM

I'm new to the Thursday Next phenomenon - just picked up TEA at the library on Monday and am LOVING it - and was wondering if anyone is considering making a film?

The world is so imaginative and the idea so original, it seems to be a perfect fit.

Re: Movie???
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 08:52PM

Hi Deetj, nice idea. Apparently Mr FForde's signing queues are longer than Terry Pratchetts, so it should pay someone to make one.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ncstl01.de.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2003 09:03PM

A movie would be absolutely wonderful! BUT only if they get it right of course!

Date: June 18, 2003 09:22PM

You mean like Peter Jackson didn't with 'The Two Towers', only one of which was the right tower? The rest of the objections are legion.

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 09:44PM

I don't think Tolkien ever specified which Two Towers he was meaning, did he? I'm sure I've seen people asking before...I assumed it was Sarumans and Sauron's, since they were communicating between their towers...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: June 18, 2003 10:04PM

Minas Ithil a.k.a. Minas Morgul never made it into the second film, because they're keeping the meaty bits of Frodo and Sam (at the tower of Kirith Ungol!) for film 3.

Isengard and Ithil are the clear focuses of the second book, if not the second film. If you write a book called 'the two towers' as part of a story which has lots of them (four prominent ones in particular) you must have known which they were, and it's Ithil and Isengard. I'm too far from my copy to check, but I'm sure the flyleaf of 'The Two Towers' actually makes it explicit.

No action ever takes place other than by narration AT the Barad-Dur (Sauron's tower) at any point in the book, and Minas Tirith gets introduced in book 3.

So Jackson keeps the name, but implies a false reason for it simply because he has shifted the content of the book about.

Hope all this isn't more than was wanted --- it's just occurred to me that there are alot of towers in Middle Earth, and maybe as Shrek said, JRR was compensating for something???

Post Edited (06-18-03 23:05)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:18PM

With regards to the Twin Towers, I always assumed it was those two he was referring to too - as there are two competing towers threatening the whole of Middle Earth. Life's too short to be pedantic about changes made to keep the film somewhere below five days long...

---------------------------------

As for a TEA film, it must be that time of the month again! It gets mentioned on a regular basis, which is frustrating only if you can't find the previous mentions of it... People seem fairly keen on the idea, and as far as I recall Mr Ff is keeping the rights close to himself for the moment. To paraphrase - 'If anybody's cocking it up, it's going to be me so that it's the definitive cock-up'

[www.thursdaynext.com]
[www.thursdaynext.com]

-----------------------------

Welcome to the Fforum, btw. Find a cushion and make yourself at home...

-------------------------------

Trawling back through one of those threads makes me realise I haven't had a good rant for ages. Remind me to find a topic for one, as my spleen needs the exercise...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:26PM

A few sit-ups should do the trick, PSD. ;-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:16PM

Welcome, Deetj!

There's also a bit Jasper had to say about making films of his books in an interview that appeared in 2 issues of

<shameless plug>Whatever Next, the official Jasper Fforde Ffan Club newsletter. You can go see it at: [www.JasperFfordeFfanClub.com] Be sure to check out the April and May issues, as the interview is split between the two. </shameless plug>

(you have to cut and paste cuz the Phorum software doesn't allow HTML in the posts!)

there ya go PSD, how was that for being shameless? hehehehe

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:18PM

Shameless? I could write the book...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: June 19, 2003 01:12PM

Final note on 'TTT', I checked to make sure, and my edition has the original Tolkien illustration on the jacket indisputably showing Orthanc and Minas Morgul. The only reason you can get confused is because of the film, a tactic used by Daeron / JRR 862829 and Peter Jackson / Ralph Rushlight in N3.

Posted by: Sara (---.brhm.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 19, 2003 03:51PM

Hi Deetj

At the recent Swindon talk/booksigning given by Jasper he mentioned that he wasn't keen on a film being made of TEA. If memory serves it was because of how much would have to be changed to make a film work. Also, I seem to remember that Jasper said he thought that perhaps a set of tv one hour specials would be better than a film.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 21, 2003 09:19AM

They wouldn't even have to make LIAGB, as TEA has a perfectly happy ending. It would transcend genres: Romance / Mystery / Surreal / Horror / Comedy.

It would work better as a series, and that way the ABC would be more likely to show it.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 22, 2003 06:45PM

On the subject of shameless, doesn't the Fforum actually have a 'shame-extractor' that removes all shame from posts before posting them onto the boards?

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2003 09:08PM

no, I think it actually tries to add shame in, but we tend to ignore it! LOL

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 22, 2003 10:27PM

Oh, that explains a lot...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.