New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
American vs. British editions?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:16PM

Hi,
I've read the first two books in the American editions (I live in New York.) But I can't wait another year to read WOLP, so I've ordered it from Amazon.uk. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me whether there are noticeable differences between the American & British editions--I mean, other than the expected differences in spellings and some words (lift/elevator, truck/lorry, etc.)
And does anyone know why there is going to be such a time lag before WOLP comes out in the U.S.?
Thanks!
Karen

Re: American vs. British editions?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:28PM

actually, it's really pretty much the same. Except in LIAGB, there were contest winners that got to have their names put in. Different sets for each edition. (These were Cordelia's contest winners that she kept trying to introduce to Thursday!)

And it looks like WOLP will probably come out in Feb/March in the US, just like the other ones. That's what I heard from Jasper when he was in DC not too long ago

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:32PM

Do people bother changing the spellings from British to American? In most things I read they don't bother when producing UK editions of US books... I just take it as part of the flavour (or flavor, if you prefer...)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 18, 2003 11:56PM

The first time I ever heard of Harry Overrated Potter was a news item about how popular the books were in the USA. The feature mentioned that a few words had to be changed, such as 'stroller' for 'pram', and probably 'sidewalk' for 'pavement'.

Some American books are certainly changed for the UK market. Way back in the early 80's, some books were written about Han Solo's adventures before the time of 'Star Wars'. In the UK editions he has a droid sidekick called 'Pollux'. In the imported US editions, the robot is called 'Bollox'. Wonder why they changed it :)

Date: June 19, 2003 12:09AM

Oh yeah, ax vs axe. Which one?

And does anybody else write gaol just to be pedantic, and then struggle to remember how to pronounce it (hint: just like 'jail')?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: June 19, 2003 12:50AM

I don't think they really changed anything for TEA or LIAGB, but then again, I mostly read the UK versions because 'them's what I have in paperback and don't mind destroying! I know that lift stays lift, etc...

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 19, 2003 12:51AM

American-verses British spellings are very big here in Aus right now. Traditionally we spell the British way, but a lot of magazines are starting to spell words the American way. Loads of people are having PSD's thrombosis problems over that and are spending time writing Letters To The Editor to decry this terrible habit of Americanising all our wonderful Australian words. As if we really need to care this much.

Date: June 19, 2003 01:42AM

Oh yeah, I knew I had to explain that somewhere obscure just to annoy you all. I nicked the thrombosis tag off Johnny Ball (ask any British child of the 70s/80s - and then tell them he's now on the Terry and Gabby show on Five every morning).

It becomes clearer when you realise a thrombosis is a bloody clot that clogs up the system...

PSD

==========

Posted by: CJ (---.DNVTCO56.covad.net)
Date: June 19, 2003 03:31AM

Yes, the spellings and punctuations are changed from the British to American versions. I read both versions of Lost in a Good Book. I prefer the covers (and colored illustration!) of the US version, but other than that, the British spellings don't bother me at all. Oh no! It says "colour"! Whatever shall I do?

Date: June 19, 2003 03:47AM

I honestly did not notice any changes...I was just looking through. Maybe I just missed them or I'm just so used to the Brit way that I didn't see them! Who knows! Not like most of it is that hard to understand anyway. And the stuff that is hard to understand is reference stuff and not due to spellings.

Thanks to Jon Brierley, we non-Brits can understand even those odd references!

Posted by: Ria (---.va.gov)
Date: June 19, 2003 01:45PM

Karen - How much did it cost from amazon.uk? I'm thinking of ordering it, but there is a bookseller on amazon.com who has it for $50.

I heard TN2 on audio, and now I'm looking EVERYWHERE for the books. Everyone here is sold out of TN1, and I can't even find it on any of the online bookstores.

Date: June 20, 2003 12:08AM

There are a few things that don't get changed from American editions to British. I was puzzled for some time by a Steven King character who gives his wife a friendly slap on the fanny as she's standing in the kitchen. That's not such an easy thing to do in British slang !

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 04:36AM

Same here! Anyone giving their wife said 'friendly slap on the fanny' would most likely end up in the nearest hospital emergency room with several kitchen utensils inserted where it ain't comfortable!

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: June 20, 2003 05:23AM

Yes, a former coworker of mine from England once commented that he'd been quite intrigued when he first heard about "fanny packs", and was rather disappointed to discover it was just a bum bag.

Date: June 21, 2003 12:19AM

Oh yes. Much hilarity in the Film Unit office a few years ago over an American catalogue that sold fanny packs - and in a variety of colors.

No doubt Americans visiting for the World Student Games were just as amused/bemused by a line of small buses that ran every 7 minutes or so, and were called 'Eager Beavers'.

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 21, 2003 12:24AM

I seem to remember reading about a sign in a foreign hotel somewhere advising visitors to "take advantage of the chambermaids"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.