New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The croquet game
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 11:45AM

Superhoop 2003

I just got the official invite (well email) and apparently my team will be called "Pickwick's Professionals" and I'm the team captain... I didn't choose the name but I quite like it!

I will write a proper write-up after the event or maybe a few weeks after, as I will be moving at the end of the month and need to pack...

Re: The croquet game
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 12:54PM

You lucky lucky thing!!!!!
:p

:D

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 01:06PM

Have fun and for GSD sake WIN!!!

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 20, 2003 02:08PM

I hope someone will be taking photos...

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 02:26PM

I don't!

:-P

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 20, 2003 03:09PM

Harpo Marx' biography includes some very Nextian games of croquet that went over cliffs and came back up.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: June 20, 2003 10:47PM

Never played croquet. Seen it in movies. Read about it in books (and rather strange fforums). Don't know anyone who does play. Must be someone round here....

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-25.med.umich.edu)
Date: June 20, 2003 10:57PM

We used to have an old set around, and hit the balls around the lawn occassionally.

How old the set was is hinted at by the fact that on one occassion my brother hit a ball and it split in half. (On another occassion he hit one through the basement window.)

We also played occassionally at my grandparents' house, which was tricky since their yard was rather hilly.

Posted by: MissPrint (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 20, 2003 11:16PM

An ancient and now dead great aunt of mine used to play croquet competitively in her youth. It may conjure up visions of cucumber sandwiches and polite tea parties, but it is a devious and fierce game. We used to play it on the ruined tennis court and she would sit in the summer house with the doors open and bellow instructions and insults at us whilst sipping at a monstrously large G&T. As is usually the case with croquet, house rules were everything and it was virtually impossible for any visitors to win, and extra points were awarded for cheek, style and deflections off the plinth of a stone cherub who was half way down one side of the tennis court, like a ball boy. Points could be lost for damaging her sweet peas. Actually, I think heads might have been lost for damaging her sweet peas, but we were always very careful at that side of the court.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 21, 2003 12:57AM

I've got one of those tabletop croquet sets, with little plastic mallets for hitting marbles through the hoops. Best played out of sight of cats.

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 21, 2003 08:14AM

Croquet struck me as being this rather genteel pastime. Then I watched "Heathers" and thought it was a perfect game to use for barely supressed aggression!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.