New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Have you read... ?
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 25, 2003 01:52PM

1/. An internet comic strip which (for some reason that I've never seen explained...) is called 'Sluggy Frelance', which is at www.sluggy.com ? This describes the adventures of some contemporary Americans as they try to cope with mad scientists, time travel, aliens, vampires, other supernatural beings, shameless parodies of popular fiction... Oh, and talking animals. It began in August 1997, and the complete storyline is archived online. The current week's story is being produced by a guest writer/artist named Phil Foglio, with whose name I suspect some of you may already be familiar.

( I suspect that Jo reads this, as one of her posts in the game's latest thread seemed to be quoting from one of its characters...)

"Where are the reinforcments?"
"They're pinned down by a small bunny."

2/. The 'HOKA' stories, a fine example of humorous SF, which were written by Poul Anderson & Gordon Dickson... ? (I can envisage Hokas who've gone page-running being absolutely sure that they really belong wherever they've ended up.)

Oh, and my thanks to Sarah for mentioning the 'Ozy & Millie' comic strip. I hadn't heard of this one before she did, but have since read all of the bits of this that are currently available online.

"This was willed where what is willed kejhghguritotldew."

Re: Have you read... ?
Posted by: Jo (---.ex.ac.uk)
Date: June 25, 2003 03:03PM

Sluggy is one of the all time great web comics! The beginning storyline starts with our heroes spamming Satan, and then watching Satan and Archangel Gabriel haveing a Quake deathmatch :D It gets even better from then on, particularly with the introduction of the cute fluffy psychotic talking rabbit :)

Other good webcomics that I love are Userfriendly (userfriendly.org) - set in a computer office, Something Positive (somethingpositive.net) - just plain weird, and Dr Fun (http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/drfun.html), who is similiar in style to Gary Larson (do be careful of the typing in of the website - I've had mutterings from other people that ibiblio (outside of the Dr Fun page) has some nasty popups.

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 25, 2003 06:30PM

Oh, the Hokas! I was introduced to them many years ago by another Simon, funnily enough, and I've got two of the books. I believe there are more, but I may be wrong. They are such a hoot! I'm quite sure one of my teddy bears is actually a Hoka, and in honour of a different book altogether she is named Trillian. I've had her since I was at university.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: June 25, 2003 06:45PM

There are two collections of stories about the Hokas, one of material from the 1950s and the other of material from the 1980s, plus a novel (which was called 'Star Prince Charlie' in the edition of which I've got a copy, but possibly renamed later on...) which I think was included in one volume with the latter collection when they were reissued in the '90s.

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly."

Date: June 25, 2003 11:21PM

I have "Earthman's Burden" and "Hoka!". They both seem to be quite old books.

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: June 26, 2003 09:06AM

Yes, those were published in the 1970s & 1980s respectively and are the same two collections of stories that I have copies of... In that case all that you're missing is 'Star Prince Charlie', also from the 1970s, which isn't set on the Hokas' homeworld but does have one of them as an important character. Would you like to borrow my copy of this?

"This was willed where what is willed hfgfhgkrjwrhthge."

Post Edited (06-26-03 10:06)

Date: June 26, 2003 11:44AM

I'd love to - thanks! The next question is: when are we both likely to be in the same place to enable this to happen?

Sarah

Date: June 26, 2003 11:53AM

If you're not coming to the gathering at the White Horse then I could post it to you (if I had your address).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 26, 2003 12:53PM

That will probably come down to where and when it is, and whether I can manage to give Sarah a lift to see her sister Suedeb - sorry, Sue, this isn't the Nextarillion - if I am up on the details I will see about it, but no promises, it sounds like a heck of a way from Sheffield.

EDIT whoops Sarah points out we already talked about and can't do both that and Leeds.

Post Edited (06-26-03 15:59)

Date: June 26, 2003 03:23PM

Simon - I'll e-mail you my address later. Remind me if I forget. Many thanks!

Sarah

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.