New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: A low grumbling followed by..
Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 05:58PM

I know that the Borders chain was mentioned in the 'In Shops now' thread but I would very much like to commend the Oxford branch on being so immensely helpful with getting WOLP, they were really helpful when I phoned them this morning to check that they had copies of the trade paper back. Well done Borders!

Before I got in touch with them I phoned a local independent bookshop just in case I could save myself a trip. I'm now beyond doubt that there is indeed a huge confusion going on with a lot of booksellers. I was told that only the hardback of WOLP would be available from the 7th July in the U.K., they didn't have the tpb showing on their system as being available and when queried said that it might be a strictly limited edition.

Seems that there is a massive variance and a lot depends on which bookshop you are in contact with.

Posted by: Carla from another computer (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: July 02, 2003 09:55PM

I think the problem there is with the reps and with Hodder.
The book was first to be published on the 7th july, then Hodder decided to bring it forward.

Some shops would have had done their subs already and the date in the system would be the 7th, if hodder didn't communicate with them (and with smaller shops they probably don't get in touch with their Sales person so often) they couldn't guess.

And also when there is a hardback and a paperback available, the rep should bention both to the shops, some reps don't bother and it's a mess when i'm trying to do my central orders and promos...

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 02, 2003 11:08PM

Finally heard back from Amazon, and apparently they *are* actually going to ship it.
My scheduled delivery date is now July 14-16, which is a vast improvement over February. Shipping is 5 pounds for 4-7 days. While I would love to get it sooner, I'm not inclined to pay 21 pounds for 1-2 day shipping on a 10 pound book.

Am still tempted to have someone from the Fforum get a copy signed in Leeds and send it to me, which would give me both a copy to keep and a loaner. And since I should already have a reading copy by then, it could be shipped more slowly and cheaply too.

Here's the email:
----------------
Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk and for taking the time to
inform us of this issue.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this apparent mix-up. Due to
a technical error, the estimated date that is shown in Your Account
for this item is incorrect, and I have been able to correct this
error.

We build our catalogue on information from many sources and our
ordering system automatically estimates dispatch and delivery dates
for each item. We appreciate knowing about any errors that may find
their way into the catalogue system.

Further, I have checked your order and we still expect to dispatch
your order by the date listed in Your Account: July 14, 2003E]. (The
order number can be found in the subject line of this e-mail.)

To keep you fully informed on the progress of your order, we'll send
you one e-mail when we receive the order and another when we dispatch
it from our Fulfilment Centre, confirming the date, contents and
method of delivery.

To check the status of your order, or view estimated dispatch and
delivery dates, please visit Your Account at the top of any page on
our Web site or use the following URL:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Please contact us again if you do not receive a confirmation by July
8, 2003.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk. We hope you enjoy your order.

Please let us know if this e-mail answered your question:

If yes, click here:
[www.amazon.co.uk]
If not, click here:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Warmest regards

Gagandeep Singh
Customer Service
Amazon.co.uk
------------------

Date: July 03, 2003 02:40PM

Ooooooohhh! As of this morning my estimated delivery date has moved up a bit.

Items Dispatching Soon
Delivery estimate: July 10 - July 14
1 of: The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 03, 2003 05:03PM

A thought has ocurred to me.

I'm expecting my copy of WOLP to arrive somewhere between July 10-14.

July 12 (Saturday) I'll be spending most of the day at my town's local Celtic Festival, with the medieval/reniassance recreation group I'm in (local SCA branch).

The Celtic Festival was begun a few years ago, having grown out of the 'twinning' of Saline, Michigan, USA with Brecon, Wales. Every year, some folks from Brecon come to the festival, and for other activities the week before.

Jasper lives, apparently, very near Brecon.

So if I were to read the book while at the Celtic Festival (sitting in a medieval/reniassance display area, weraing suitable garb), and anyone gave me an odd look, I could simply point out that the Author lives in Brecon, so it's perfectly appropriate to the occassion.

Right?

Post Edited (07-03-03 18:12)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: SiriusSlack (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 03, 2003 08:08PM

Anyone know what the problem is with the hardcovers on Amazon UK? Despite listing the publication date as July 1, they don't seem to have it available. Or they don't want to list it as being available. And I can't get any estimated ship date information at all.
Were I in the UK this wouldn't be a problem since I could just get it else where, but since I'm across the pond in the US...

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.238.45.67.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 03, 2003 08:17PM

Hello to all from a recent lurker :)

Because I become easily confused I have a couple of questions for the people who ordered WOLP from Amazon.uk.

Did you order the paperback and what is the estimated arrival time to the US?

Thanks so much.

Date: July 03, 2003 08:59PM

My answer is up a few posts in this thread, and yes, I ordered the paperback. FWIW, I placed the order back in May.

It's possible that the glitch in dates for the paperback has only been fixed because of my inquiry, and that the hardback will only get fixed if someone complains directly about that as well.

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.238.45.210.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 03, 2003 10:53PM

Thanks for the info. I've been hesitant to order from them, but I really don't think I can wait until next Feb for the US release.

Date: July 03, 2003 10:59PM

I figure I'm getting the UK trade paperback for about $23 US including shipping, which is @#$%& than the US Hardback will be when it comes out next spring. And while the US paperback will probably be even @#$%&, it won't be out until sometime in 2005.

--------------
--Ross Smith

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 12:00AM

Hmmm, I was having that 'March delivery date' problem and I'm in the UK (oh, and I was ordering the paperback). In the end I caved in, canceled that item and bought it from town, @#$%& fourtunately (waterstones are doing £2 off, yay!), but it's a really big size paperback for some reason, hmm, better fit on my shelves....

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 01:19AM

How come your branch of Waterstone's has it in, but the ones in Sheffield and Meadowhall think it's out next week ? It's not like they're small shops !

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 06:31AM

Received my copy of WOLP from Borders yesterday, unfortunately it came on a busy day so I haven't had the time to start reading yet :(

I think that Carla (from her other computer) hit the nail on the head. Bookshops with minimal contact with Hodder and their sales reps aren't aware that the release date for both editions was revised to 1st July, or the information wasn't passed on to the right people. I guess that it means trying to convince the sellers to get in touch with Hodders distribution service to check.

Coincidentally, I had a reply from Amazon late yesterday that reads almost exactly as Magda's apart from the fact they apologised that the confusion over dates made me cancel. The joys of standard emails, still at least I had the pleasure of suggesting in a sniffy way to contact Hodder to get their dates right!

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 04, 2003 01:52PM

My copy has finally shipped (after being "Dispatched soon" all day yesterday) with slightly revised delivery date of "July 11-15". So hopefully in a week or so.....

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 06, 2003 02:54PM

Finally got mine too. Only got to wait for brother to finish reading it first... grr....

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:09AM

Belt brother around the head with large volume of Encyclopeadia Britannica and take it off him. How dare he get it first!

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:12AM

Wow, it must be good!

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:20AM

Dunno. It's not released here until next month. But it's the priciple of the matter involved....

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2003 12:45AM

I've just e-mailed Hodder to grumble about total non-availability of WOLP in Sheffield, so far. I'm going into town tomorrow, and I said that if I still can't get it, I'll scream.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 07, 2003 08:07AM

What, you told Hodder you'd scream? Where will you scream? In a bookshop or will you go to Hodder's Sheffield headquarters (if they have any). Will you be on the news tomorrow?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.