New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
White Horse Outing
Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: July 02, 2003 10:56AM

Is this still on? I'm still planning to go - will I be on my own?

Re: White Horse Outing
Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 11:06AM

I'm still going, I don't know if that's any consolation or not :) Probably ought to book a table at the Blowing Stone this weekend if we're going to eat there. The way the weather is behaving it might have to be indoors too, unless anyone prefers soggy food?

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: July 02, 2003 11:07AM

I presume that it's still on. Are you still offering me a lift from Petersfield?

Date: July 02, 2003 11:31AM

Lift is available - where and when is pick-up? Suggest allowing a good 2 hours to get to destination in Oxfordshire due to holiday/Sunday traffic.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: July 03, 2003 09:32AM

Re "Where?" _ I suggest outside the railway station, as that's where I'll be arriving in Petersfield, unless there's some obvious landmark not too far away that you'd prefer.
Re "When?" _ Give me a time at which to meet, and I'll catch a train that should get me there a bit earlier to be on the safe side.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 03, 2003 06:24PM

As it now seems unfortunately likely that (for reasons which I'll leave it up to her to explain here, or not to do so, as she chooses... ) Auntysassy will not be going to this gathering I'll have to look at other means of transport. I think that getting to Oxford by rail should be reasonably easy (although a change at Reading might be necessary) but am not sure about proceeding onwards from there... H'mmm, and although I really WOULD like to meet other fforumites at the White Horse (or, indeed, elsewhere...) there's also a concert here in Worthing on the evening of the 13th that I'd rather like to attend... Don't count on my turning up, but don't count me out yet either: I'll let you know on Saturday (when I've had more time in which to check about transport) what I've decided.

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Date: July 04, 2003 07:02AM

Auntysassy - If you do drop by to read this at the moment, I'm really sorry to hear that you've received bad news this week. I very much hope that you will be able to come along at the next occasion, once the current upsetting events have settled more.

Apologies for not posting sooner, yesterday was a bit hectic and our internet connection was deciding to have a day of problems, which was not nice.

Simon - It would be great if you could still make it, but if transport and the concert make it difficult to come that's okay. An outing at another time is bound to take place, after all it's tricky to juggle things at this time of year. Again I wish I could help with lifts and pick ups, drawback of two seater cars and me not being able to drive is that it would end up being a marathon of relays.

Myself and my husband are still going to make the visit on 13th, starting out from the Blowing Stone pub in Kingston Lisle. So if anyone else out there can and does want to come along on the day it would be great to meet you!

Date: July 04, 2003 11:43AM

Thanks Belochka and Simon - it's just a waiting game at the moment, jumping everytime the phone rings. The thing is, I know my father in law would be really angry knowing he was (as he would see it) causing trouble.
But at 88, at least he's had a good life.

Hopefully another time. If I disappear from the Fforum for a while, you'll know why.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 11:56PM

AuntySassy: sympathy and best wishes to you and family

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 05, 2003 10:49AM

Sympathy reiterated.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: AlisonS (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 08, 2003 10:50AM

Me too. Anything I can do...

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:32PM

If the outing's still going ahead then I hope that those of you who go on it have a lovely day, but (for one reason and another) I won't be able to join you this time.

H'mm, given this fforum's nature an old expression that I remember seeing somewhere else (although I don't now recall where that was...) seems appropriate: "See you in the funny pages!"

"Thos wes wollid whoro whet os wollid... cen git rethir solly."

Post Edited (07-11-03 16:30)

Date: July 11, 2003 01:00PM

Thanks chaps - much appreciated. The dear old thing died last Sunday morning and the funeral is next week. (Oh joy - going to a funeral on the Isle of Wight - two things guaranteed to give you the joys of spring! I hate that place with a vengence.)

So lots of bitty- bitty things to do but maybe we can re-arrange for sometime later in the year?

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 02:09PM

Sorry to hear that. Still, at least the waiting game is over. :-(

My great-uncle died just before Christmas 2000 at the grand old age of 100. He lived in Kendal, but insisted on being buried in Harrogate, where he had spent much of his life. That would have been fine except for the fact that it snowed harder than anyone could remember for the last ten years, and there's a range of quite grown-up mountains between Kendal and Harrogate. The funeral had to be postponed for a week because the hearse got stuck.

We all thought it was quite ironic. The poor old chap hated snow!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 11, 2003 08:59PM

Auntysassy- My condolences to you both. I hope that the trip to the IoW is not too painful a thing to endure.

Again, my apologies for not making a post earlier. For those with non-access to the Blurty blog I set up, I've had to make a withdrawl from posting to the fforum. I had a bit of a shock regarding the amount of time I'd spent online in recent weeks. Something had to be done, unfortunately this was the most time consuming element.

I will be back be back more in the future, but not quite as much as before.

All the best to you all!

B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.