New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it just me?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 04:01PM

or should there be a TN video game?
you could save endangered dodos, shake up an entroscope (aside from the one i made for myself) and put yourself in Thurdsay's shoes...
oh yeah, and drive the car, too!
yeah, so if anybody disagrees with me, please don't lynch me...i don't know if the game would actually be able to me made, nor if it would turn out like what i see in my own mind...i just thought it'd be a fun game, not just your average shoot-em-up...
jenn

Re: Is it just me?
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 04:21PM

great idea for a website, flash entroposcope which you can pick up and shake. It could give you a % chance of coincidences happening.

If only I knew how to program flash.

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 04:54PM

People always complain about Flash websites, but sometimes they're great. I was on donniedarko.com today and it's fantastic...

Someone here must know flash, surely...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2003 05:00PM

I know it a little, but just enough to get Pickwick to move around on her scooter or take a moving truck to her new home...

More on the game: Once you've completed certain tasks, you get the bonus round...helping Spike defeat an SEB

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 06:11PM

Oooh, yes, this has definitely got potential!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 04, 2003 07:23PM

I like it. The amount of stuff to provide for different books / times / places is on the one hand limitless and therefore good, and on the other hand a lot of work to do, and therefore a headache. I'll just pop back into my shell and program something else for a bit now ---

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 05, 2003 12:33AM

Anyone seriously thinking of doing *any* such coding should get Jasper's permission first. He's a nice guy an' all, but Thursday is his property and we don't want to upset him.

As a writer myself, I'm very aware of copyright issues, which is why I usually refuse when friends offer to burn CD's and games for me.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: July 05, 2003 02:44AM

well, yes of course...i didn't mean for anyone to just do it behind his back, i just thought it'd be a cool idea (if the great panjadrum is listening in- i'd buy at least 3 copies of a TN game, if it was made!)
plus, to do it in the first place, i'd have to have anything resembling skills in the coding department-which i don't- or money to pay someone to do it -again, which i don't- so yeah, that pretty much eliminates any possibility of me making anything other than a grand little going-on in my head.

anyway, i still wish disney would've given him permission to use eeyore (sp?)...that would've been just hilarious!

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 05, 2003 02:47AM

Disney owns Eeyore now? What a world...

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 05, 2003 03:53AM

Yep, Disney owns Winnie-the-Pooh, both their version and the original. Very sad.

Actually, I like the version of the scene that Jasper's publishers nixed as too cheeky, in which it was announced that "Our original presenter, Eeyore, is unable to join us tonight due to copyright issues."

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 05, 2003 05:13AM

Ooh, that was cheeky. I like it. they should have left it in.

I'd play a TN game. Now all we gotta do is find someone to design it....

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 05, 2003 09:03AM

That Eeyore thing is great! I think that he is the character that suffered the least in the book to TV transition.

As a game, I would want Pickwick collecting marshmallows to save her egg. She has to pass Great Auks, Mammoths and TasTigers.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 05, 2003 01:18PM

Huh? Character that suffered least?

They remove all the sardonic wit and humour, the irony, the ability to take the piss out of every other character, and you reckon he hasn't suffered? They managed to destroy the soul of Eeyore!

I have a theory about Eeyore. I reckon he's a perfectly normal chap, but he's bloody annoyed about being in a 'childrens' book...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 05, 2003 01:50PM

The original bear is in America, which (though I have no objection to America) makes me feel deeply sad. Seeing the original toy paraded on the Walt Disney videos, he looks like he may as well be in Guantanamo Bay; he is properly always in a special place with CR Milne.

But it seems CR Milne lived life in denial, which is a far worse place to be than America. Of which more later.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 05, 2003 11:32PM

Poor old Chris Milne. the bloke grew up being permenantly six years old and hauling this bear around with him. No wonder he spent his life in denial. I have no problem with his toys being in america. After all, it was Chris who gave them to the museum. It's not like they were put up for auction and the rich capilist American pigs bought them because they had more money than anyone else.

OOh, I could start a war with that last comment!

Posted by: AlisonS (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 08, 2003 02:30PM

Yep - but probs not on this ffphorum, people seem to take things the way they're meant, which is nice... CRM must've had quite a hard time I think... not that easy for his dad too actually.

I've always thought Eeyore must've lost his pipe - he's always acted like someone suffering through the worst stages of depression through nicotine withdrawal!

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 04:30PM

I never really liked the transition from books to Disney of the Hundred Acre Wood folks - E H Shepherd's drawings were so much better! And the voices were all wrong and American :(

Back to the game - I would *love* to play a TN game, be it small and Flash or big and huge graphics - a Discworld Noir style game would be fantastic!

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 04:33PM

Isn't Denial in Africa?

I'll get me coat.

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 04:35PM

BANG! The pun-gun makes another excursion onto the fforums...

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 07:05PM

And what the buggeration was that gopher all about?

Disney have done precisely one good thing - fund Pixar!

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.