New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: A Cat's Soliloquy
Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:13AM

I sincerely hope everyone's having fun here. Personally this is all WAY too technical for me and I'm going to check out another thread

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:14AM

we're having a ball...

dammit, it's gone midnight again. I need some sleeep.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:17AM

Ach, thanks PSD - I was getting there too (only had to eliminate the speech marks and I'd have made it, but I got distracted by something shiny!)

You're right though; I shan't be incorporating too much code or indeed graphics and certainly not for the hell of it. I'd also like to think I'm intelligent enough to convey a thought, impression or feeling without resorting to using an emoticon at the end of every line, though I do confess they are kinda amusing from time to time... heh.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:12AM

Hmm... Now I know why a new thread grew massively overnight.

Remember what happened last time we got silly with HTML and broke the old Fforum.

And Dave, I thought you were aiming for an early night !

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:37PM

Ptolemy... where did you get that sheep? It's just so disconcertingly watchable!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:39PM

I like him. Can we get a dodo to do the same?

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:16PM

Graphics for the hell of it? Would I do that?

[www.geocities.com]

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:32PM

Hi Sarah,

Originally, the sheep came from

[www.artie.com]

- there's loads more similar graphics there - about 15,000 in all I think! I can't remember seeing a dodo but I'm really looking forward to seeing someone prove me wrong...

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 11:14PM

Thanks! I shall have a good look when I have time.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic-remote.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:56AM

Just get a grey chicken, no-one'll know...

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:19AM

Well, we will NOW!

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 01:26PM

I've just popped in cos I know some of you computer geeks were hanging around in here and my PC is having a temper tantrum, it is refusing point blank to play any audio CD's and quite blatantly denying that there is a disc in there in the first place. This is what I've tried so far:
Staring really hard at it. This puts fear of gsd into hubby and kids but not working on PC.
repeatedly telling it to play disc in the hope that pester power will wear it down and it'll do it while sighing ok but just this once.
went and made a cup of coffee so that the computer fairy could sort it out while I wasn't looking.
As usual all this was futile, discs were playing fine this a.m so do you think this is fatal?
If you can't fix computer for me then at least make me laugh cos I'll bet this has got a big invoice with lots of 0000's attached to it somewhere.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 01:42PM

Holly

Is it just one disc that isn't palying, or have you tried lots?

If you've just tried one, is it a disc you haven't tried playing on th PC before (some modern CDs are copy-protected, and won't play on any computer, to stop you copying them -- especially ones produced by big music labels like EMI and Universal).

If it's affecting all CDs, have you tried cleaning your CD drive (for this you'll need a special CD cleaning disc -- available in any music store, and most computer stores too)

You could also try rebooting your computer -- can work wonders!

If none of the above works, a new CD drive could set you back as little as £50.

Hope some of that helps

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Date: July 10, 2003 02:10PM

thanks Guy, wont play any CDs including those it has condescended to play before, rebooting didn't sort it and neither did just giving it a good booting, but cleaning it kind of makes sense so I'll go buy a disc in a bit, will let you know what happens, (like you can't wait) thanks again for advice, do you know how to reupholster chairs by any chance?

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:24PM

Have you tried Impact Technology on your CD (not) player? The coaxing mallet can sometimes help.

Date: July 10, 2003 08:57PM

KT - tried it, insolent thing flashed up warning that it would dial computer line and report me! Have tried adding the wagging finger to the hard stare but it just kind of hunched its shoulders and flashed up 'like I'm really scared now.'

Guy - bought cleaner disc thing and inserted it and the computer tells me there is no disc in there so it won't play it and clean itself!!!!!!! grrrrrr!!
bashing keys really hard now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:17PM

sounds to me like you have one of two things going on...

1. One of the connectors have managed to shake loose, which does happen at times, especially if one of the wires is near one of the cooling fans.

2. You may have some sort of a hardware conflict. Can you put in a data type CD and have it work or is it just music CDs that won't play? If your data ones will work, then you probably need to reload the software for your sound card (I know, sounds odd!) If the data one won't play, check your Windows Hardware manager (found in the control panel) and see if there's an error in there. You may need to reload the drivers for the CD-ROM if you have them or can find them online.

Barring that, your CD-ROM is probably hosed and will need to be replaced. Unfortunately these things do go bad at times. It sucks.

Did you try the power down completely, leave it off for 10 minutes, chant the "go away bad ju-ju" chant then turn it back on? It may have over heated and something could have warped. One never knows!

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:25PM

I fear this is stating the obvious, but....

Holly, when you say "went and made a cup of coffee so that the computer fairy could sort it out while I wasn't looking" - I'm assuming you did remember to remove the cup of coffee from the coffee-holder and replace it with a CD before sliding it back into place?

:)

(I'm joking, obviously - actually what AAC says rings true, except to say that if the connectors had shook loose the PC probably wouldn't recognise that it even had a CD ROM drive after rebooting - when you click on "My Computer" is it showing in the list of available drives? For example, drive D?)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:55PM

depends on which wire shook loose...if it's the one that goes to the sound card, it would still be recognized. And if it's the one that goes to the motherboard, it may just be loose on one or two of the pins but would still be recognized (personal experience!! Took forever to figure it out!) Once I unplugged it from the cable and plugged it back in, it worked fine!

Date: July 11, 2003 09:58AM

Ptolemy - what can I say, you need a slap! but at least you made me laff.
Actually having completely forgotten about "my computer" til late last night I found I can play the CDs from there.

AAC - many thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, I'm very impressed.
and all of what you said sounded logical captain. With the CDs playing normally through the "my computer" route I guess this means the problem is with the windows media player that normally launches them automatically but now just sulks. I shall persevere.

Thanks very much both. I have Tracy Chapman playing now, music to my ears!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.