New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hey, anyone else here from Seattle?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 13, 2003 06:59PM

Just wondering who my closest fforum neighbors might be. I can't be the only ffanatic here in latte land...

Re: Hey, anyone else here from Seattle?
Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 13, 2003 08:15PM

Not me, but I've been there lots of times (both on holiday and working - I organised a rock festival there a couple of years back), I know the place really well AND my very best friend lives there (down by Ravenna Park) so I guess I could be considered an honorary Seattleite... hello!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2003 08:17PM

I grew up in Spokane, does that count? ( live in Virginia now)

There used to be another Fforumite from Seattle, but I can't remember her name at the moment...she hasn't been on in a long while

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 14, 2003 02:42PM

My brother lives in Seattle, but doesn't read fiction these days. I'm planning to visit him (and his wife) there for the first time in Early September. (I was originally going to visit in early August, but his landlord decided to sell the house he was renting, and he's bought another and will be moving at the time I was planning to visit.)

I'm in Michigan, BTW.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 03:32PM

My uncle lives outside Seattle. He's got a cabin in the woods somewhere. All very rustic. I have yet to get there to visit but he sends photos often.

I'm in Connecticut.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 04:29PM

Just out of curiosity, do we have any Canadians amongst us?

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:15PM

No, not me.

(I wonder why I posted just to say that...?)

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 10:56PM

Well obviously you were just trying to boost your post total.

Obviously I'd never do anything like that at all, ever. Honest.

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 10:59PM

Look, it's not like you get a better view from the top of the chart, you know.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:27PM

Well yes, I know that. In theory. It's not a competition. Apparently.

Are there prizes?

8'P

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Date: July 15, 2003 11:28PM

If there's a prize I want to know where mine's got to - I've been top of the chart for five months now, which is some indication of how poor my social life is...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:31PM

you said that, not us PSD! LOL

Date: July 15, 2003 11:33PM

Actually, I've always been the gobbiest since we first worked out who was posting most (over seven months ago), and I'm not expecting some kind of prize as it's really only because I'm convinced other people think longer about whether they really have something to say.

I've been there so long it just seems normal, so I don't think of it as anything great. If other people overtake me I won't be particularly worried. They might be proud of overtaking me, or embarrassed, or anything. It depends whether you see it as some kind of acheivement, I guess.

PSD

==========

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:48PM

Anyone with forum admin rights can reset people's posting figures. A user with significantly high posting rates could for example request that his or her figures be reduced drastically in order that their boss doesn't figure out that they're spending too much of their working day idly posting to a "chatroom".

I can't offhand think of why anyone would want their figures INCREASED artificially, unless it were to play the "I'm closer to admin than you are, nyah nyah" game (which I know enough already to realise would definitely not happen on this fforum), but like PSD says it all depends really on whether one views a high posting tally as an achievement or not. I feel it's important to contribute, but at the same time not to be outspoken. That's just the way I see it though.

Damn how I wish I could make it along to Leeds tomorrow, by the way. Just that bit too far unfortunately. Then again (straying vaguely back on topic) I really wish I was in Seattle too, one of my favourite cities in the world.

'Night everyone (or at least, all those for whom the bells toll)

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:33AM

I think we shoul dhave a dodo as a prize for highest poster. I say this becasue I spent yesterday searching the net for dodos for sale with little luck. So if I post random useless posts I may get one. (Shut up, PSD!)

Date: July 16, 2003 12:35AM

What? What?

*looks innocent*

PSD

==========

Date: July 16, 2003 12:39AM

*and fails dismally*

Date: July 16, 2003 12:40AM

aha, one of those random, useless posts you warned me about...

PSD

==========

Date: July 16, 2003 12:42AM

Oh, damn! Got me!

Date: July 16, 2003 12:43AM

Hey, that's an idea - anyone fancy playing hide and seek? Or sardines?

PSD

==========

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.