New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Maths cursework is horrid
Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 03:59PM

Any subject that allows you to prove that something is un-provable is OK with me.

Post Edited (07-15-03 17:01)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 06:25PM

I quite like any systemt hat tend sto chaos, if only to watch the coinfused faces of anybody whop thought that three equations should make it easy to predict what happens...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 06:36PM

PSD - Typing with one hand or are we starting to write in code? Personally I think the code thing would be cool.

Date: July 15, 2003 07:32PM

Actually, typing way too fast as my parents were badgering me to 'get off that bloody computer and cook some dinner'.

I'll try again. I quite like any system that tends to chaos, if only to watch the confused faces of people who can't understand how anything so simple can get so complicated so quickly.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 15, 2003 07:58PM

PSD - You cook? Is that safe?

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:32PM

<snickers>

Schizm is a non-violent puzzle-solving computer game. Not that I have any objection to violent ones, just that I tend to get shot/maimed/otherwise destroyed before the end of level one and that's terribley disheartening.

Full of lots of puzzles, actually. With an astounding number in base 12 math. Not your average Sonic.

Also, I like maths. It's coursework I hate...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 10:45PM

OK, I won't tell the binary numbers joke... but here's one you should not be ashamed if you don't get:

What is the contour integral around western europe?
Zero. There are no poles in western europe.... actually there are some poles in west europe, but they're removable.

rob, it really is a quite funny joke. honestly.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Date: July 15, 2003 10:47PM

Yes I bloody well can cook! And I've never poisoned anyone yet!

Last year I cooked for my housemates virtually every day, and organised the shopping. Scary, isn't it?

PSD

==========

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 16, 2003 01:19AM

What do you cook? Two minute noodles? Toast (of the burnt variety)? Extra soft boiled eggs? Do tell.

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:26PM

Sarah B: ooooh! I've been looking for a decent puzzle solving game for *ages* - we play one every christmas, and have run out. I'll definitely suggest it to the folks (if I remember a little closer to the Yule season)

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 03:19PM

I prefer "empire-building" computer-games, such as 'Civilisation'.

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 03:22PM

Robcraine: *snork*

That's a deeply obscure joke, though, you've got to admit. I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about if I hadn't done a course in complex analysis.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 16, 2003 06:11PM

PSD - After being on this board for sometime now, very little scares me. Except maybe your hair. <snigger> Just joshing.

So, favorite thing to cook then would be...?

Date: July 16, 2003 06:21PM

Hmm, favourite thing is probably chicken breast, stuffed with pesto and grilled for a little while before wrapping it in bacon strips and grilling until the bacon is crispy. This way the chicken is always properly cooked but not burnt, and the bacon is divine. Serve on a bed of rocket and lollo rosso, with new potatoes.

Absolutely perfect.

I also love making quick sauces to serve with pasta and homemade bread. It's amazing how quickly something can be made - for example while the pasta is cooking, dice some gammon and fry with spring onions and some herbs, and then melt creme fraiche over the top. Really easy, really tasty.

PSD

==========

Date: July 16, 2003 08:59PM

Ooohh that sounds lovely! Still looking for a job - be a chef!

Now if you packed that up really well in some dry ice and sent it over the pond .........

Wonder how that would work........

Date: July 16, 2003 10:16PM

I wouldn't be a chef - have you seen the working conditions?

PSD

==========

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:28PM

Grim when you start, but when you're up there with the best of them you can pretty much write your own script... forget the cheffing - cheffery - um cooking... Just write your own script anyway - you'd be great!

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 16, 2003 10:31PM

I'm really not that good achef, okay? I just have a couple of recipes that are great for impressing gfs.

Not that I have much chance these days...

PSD

==========

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:35PM

You could always practice on us - we're not proud! But nearly seriously, you sound to me (on a week's aquaintance, so what do I know?) as if something to so with writing/science would suit you best but see above...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:46PM

I wouldn't be a chef - have you seen the working conditions?

Food! Surrounded by food!

*cough*

I'll go and take my medication.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.