New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pete and Dave Postcard
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:34PM

The other day I was reading my copy of Lost in a Good Book and a postcard fell out. It was a postcard for Pete and Daves Dodo Emporium. The copy I have is autographed and new. I went and checked other copies in the bookstore, but none of them had the postcard in them. Is the postcard a common thing in autographed copies, or maybe first run prints?

Pamp47

Re: Pete and Dave Postcard
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:39PM

I could explain this, but I'm the helpful friendly scatty one who makes people laugh.

It's something to do with limited editions.

You're lucky to have one anyways. I don't. Not even for being the helpful friendly scatty one who makes people laugh.

Mind you, I do have a dodo roadsign which makes up for it...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:41PM

See the thread on WOLP postcards further down the board, and Jasper's giveaways explaination.

Basically, Jasper sometimes sneaks postcards into copies he's signing, as a sort of Easter egg for the owner to discover. And if you go to a signing in person you are almost certain to get one.

I'm guessing you have a US hardback of LIAGB, in which case the bookstore must have asked Jasper to sign some extra books for them, and he slipped the postcards in at the same time. So you got a happy surprise.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 15, 2003 09:42PM

Thank you Sarah B. I am ever indebted to you.

Pamp47

Date: July 15, 2003 09:44PM

I sure did get a happy surprise. Plus, I got a postcard:)

Pamp47

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 09:50PM

Welcome Pamp47!

You're very lucky indeed. Those post cards are quite collectible. You should look at Ebay and see just how collectible they are! Now, I don't recommend selling it, I mean I can understand wanting to BUY it, but not sell it :)

Anyway, the post cards are just another one of those things that makes the Nextian Universe so much fun!

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:05PM

Welcome to the fforum, btw. I found my UK copy of TEA was signed, which led me to here in an attempt to see what the deal with them was. Nice to see history repeating itself...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.