New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Please welcome my fellow Eyries
Posted by: MissPrint (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 24, 2003 01:16AM

Some years ago I heard a brilliant parody of the Daffodils on Radio 4. All I can remember is that the weather was not good and it was written from the point of view of the daffodils, I must google it and see if I come up with anything, but if anyone rembers it, please tell me where I can find it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 02:44AM

Intrigue, that Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana quote actually belongs to Groucho Marx. (I've used that one as my signature before LOL one of my favorite quotes)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 03:16AM

The only German writer I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Hegel (assuming he isn't Austrian or Swiss, I can't remember), but then I admit my woeful ignorance in this category. I'm nearly as ignorant about English lit, to be honest, but although I have read few of the "classics" I have certainly *heard* a great deal about them over the years, and thus am able to get many references. German composers, now, I could go on all night... :)

Barbie: my last name is Seibert

The quote is vintage Marx, like the one about books and dogs.

I have always had a soft spot for Wordsworth, I must admit. I am particularly fond of "The world is too much with us" as it has always seemed to me rather alarmingly contemporary and appropriate. I first read him in high school, the year I had a fabulous and enlightened English teacher (god knows what he was doing in a public high school).

Magda: thanks for the tip about those songs. I knew that once...

Hi Teacher, and any of Barbie's fellow students!

Posted by: Barbie (---.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: July 24, 2003 09:27AM

*ponder* If any of my fellow students have actually had a look yt our little chat here, they've not come forward yet. *searches fforum*
Eyries, where art thou?
They'll probably wonder at the uncommented quotes next week, the ones they would know had they been here... *sigh*

Seems like you lot know more German writers than I do! At least, I couldn't vouch for their being German, not Austrian or Swiss or whatever.
I know Erich Kästner, though, *g* I've most of his books and the audio tapes plus there's a few good old films where he himself narrates the story.
My personal favourites are "Pünktchen und Anton" (no idea if that was translated to English?) and "Das doppelte Lottchen" (that's the one with the twins finding each other again in some youth camp. There is an American version of the film as well)

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 24, 2003 09:56AM

I think that I might have read an English translation of the one involving Anton, but that would have been many years ago and I don't remember any details now.

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 24, 2003 10:08AM

And I've read Das doppelte Lottchen, I think in English - doubt if my German was good enough when I was small.

Son't think I ever read the sequel to Emil and the Detectives though - hadn't realised there was one - how disappointing.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Big John (---.rit.reuters.com)
Date: July 24, 2003 11:02AM

Most recent one I read - in English translation - was something called 'Androids From Milk' by Eugen Egner ("Androiden auf Milchbasis", apparently). Is he well known in Germany?

-----------------------------------------------
"Whisky-wa-wa," I breathed - she was dressed as Biffo the Bear.

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 01:09PM

uh, no, although his name resembles that of a rather famous TV presenter... Anyway, I've never herad of him nor the book. Sounds a bit fantasy-science fiction-ish, and if it is, I'm not surprised I don't know him.

I think it's quite cool that Erich Kästner is so widely read! He is (or was) one of the best children's books author I know.

E. Izzard

Posted by: teacher (---.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: July 24, 2003 03:00PM

Dave Rainbow:
Yes, I also remember a black-and-white film of 'Im Westen Nichts Neues'. It was memorable, especially the scene when the good boots transfer from one soldier to the next within day (which shows how quickly they got killed) and the scene when the protagonist comes home to his school and finds the teacher still full of patriotism and trying to rouse the pupils into volunteering for the front. The the panel discussion with Colonel Phelps in TEA reminded me a lot this scene and the protagonists (fogot the name) disillusioned speech in front of the class.

AAC:
Thanx for setting the fruit thing right. I am convinced it belongs to Groucho originally. Funny how these quotes travel.

Humilitas:
As with Kafka, the only chance not to get muddled with 'German' is to reduce it to 'German-language' (and Hegel was definitely German-speaking). Germany as a nation did not exist until 1871 and even then did it not include all the areas which were considered 'German' (most notably Austria of course). Instead, it contained a large portion of Poland. Germany at some points in history inculded various territories which are not German at all ... as a joke in German history departments goes: "We demand a Germany within the borders of 1251. Napels has to remain German!!" The same goes for England and a larger part of France, right?! Or Poland and most of Eastern Europe.

All:
I am astonished how much German literature is read elsewhere. Maybe I should not have gone into English Studies ...
Hey - I think it would be a great idea to convince Jasper to use much more references to German literature and Germany. Than our initial traslation problem would also be reduced!

About the Eyries:
I guess they have been around but are too shy to post. This reminds me of the class situation sometimes. It's easy folks! You can register in 30 seconds and then swap this place with your comments.

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 24, 2003 03:22PM

Should we start a new thread? this is getting quite long

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 24, 2003 03:49PM

That's not a bad idea. Shall I open one? Maybe "Eyries Part 2"? I'll do that now, see you there!!!!

E. Izzard

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 24, 2003 09:24PM

In fact, you don't even have to register.

Posted by: teacher (---.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: July 26, 2003 10:28PM

Sorry - I just had to post this to put this thread up on the first page so that any Eyries that might show up can find it. Last post in this thread - I promise ...

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.