New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My TN's have been booknapped!
Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: July 18, 2003 10:17AM

By my brother. Don't ever loan anything to him because you won't get them back for three years. Or ever. He borrowed my sister's CD in December 1999 and only just gave it back. So now I can't do Nextian Brain *runs off and cries in corner* !

from me (who is almost willing to set the Hades family on my brother) :'(

Re: My TN's have been booknapped!
Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 18, 2003 10:29AM

Did Acheron have a living granny? If so, it would possibly be the one who gave Granny Next the curse, couldn't it?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2003 02:21PM

Does the brother still live at home? if yes just go right in there and reappropriate your book(s) did he take all three or just the WOLP, then hide them somewhere he'll never think of looking. Think, what would Thursday do in these circumstances. By the way I would never stop at just getting even, total annihilation is whats called for here.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: July 18, 2003 03:06PM

Oh, just give him a slap and take the book back off him!

Date: July 18, 2003 08:47PM

I caaaan't, I haven't seen him for about 3 months! But I do like Auntysassy's idea.

And Intrigue, I bet your right. What would the granny be called then?

from me :)

P.S Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm definitely going to box his ears!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 07:03AM

guilt, guilt...I was just thinking earlier today about a trilogy I borrowed from Janos Ostrycharsz in high school and still haven't returned (or, in point of fact, read). I haven't seen him since then...my bad......

For retribution I haven't got my TNs either—loaned them a year ago to my best friend and as far as I know they are still sitting in her literary in-box. Also still waiting for WoLP to come.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 19, 2003 09:18AM

If the books are trapped inside said brothers room, it might cost a chocolate bar to get it back.

Persephone Hades? No wait, that would be the first Mrs Hades.

Nymphodema Hades? That sounds good enough, right?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 19, 2003 09:19PM

I still have no idea of where my first copy of LIAGB is - on loan to somebody, I imagine (Rory?). However, when I got it back from Ven, it looked at though something had been split on it (Grrrrrrr). So I had to buy myself a lovely new shiny copy in Leeds, for Jasper to sign :)

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 09:28PM

I remember as a young un lending my much loved copy of watership down to a supposed friend and when I got it back the front cover was creased in about 1000 places, like someone had tried really hard to scrunch it up. I was so upset. Mind you I borrowed a skirt from my sister once and my then dog took a dislike to it, got it out the bag and shredded it. I was mortified.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 09:38PM

I wish I could remember who borrowed my copy of Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. :-(

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 19, 2003 09:39PM

Once I took a couple of my (then) favourite book Soul Music to Waiwera, and someone put a sodden towel on it, so it was soaked and then once it was dry it became all puffy and moldy and the cover got all ripped. So you can guess I wasn't very pleased with the owner of the towel.

from moi:)

"What I need is a strong drink and a peer-group." -Ford Prefect

Date: July 20, 2003 09:17PM

I used to have a deal with my best friend, back in high school, that if we borrowed books from one another (which we did constantly), we must return them in the same condition or supply a new copy. We've both grown less picky about the condition of our books since then, but are still careful how we treat them!

Ilovespike, I've been to Waiwera!! Much fun, even in July. :)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:23PM

Sarah, I'm very glad to announce that it wasn't me.

However, where is my first edition hardback 'Silmarillion'? Sob. And I so wanted to get it signed by the author.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:28PM

Isn't "Simarillion" a Marillon covers band, Dave? (an obscure cross-reference to another thread altogether there!)

Posted by: Barbie (---.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:31PM

Signed by the author...? Call me ignorant, but isn't he dead?

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Date: July 20, 2003 09:36PM

Of course he's dead, this is irony UK calling. No offence! Is irony a German thing or not? Languages produce some interesting effects on humour (or humor across the pond, perhaps that's why US/UK humo/u/r doesn't match up).

My understanding was that Marillion were named in praise OF the Silmarillion (three 'l's) and are therefore a 'Silmarillion' tribute band!

Date: July 20, 2003 09:44PM

They still aren't any good.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 09:57PM

I know it wasn't you, Dave R! You didn't discover Hofstadter until you got your hands on Le Ton Beau de Marot, despite the fact that I'd been going on about him for years.

I think it might have been D of the JJ cup. She certainly did borrow a monumental volume on the English language by David Crystal (which contained a few glaring inaccuracies but was nonetheless a good read) and my copy of Bridget Jones' Diary. I later replaced the BJD, since it wasn't too expensive, but the David Crystal thing would have cost a bomb at full price.

Do not lend your friends books if there is any danger that they may suddenly run off with a strange man and never be heard of again.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 20, 2003 09:57PM

I wasn't aware they were in the present tense. Anyone fronted by Derek William Dick is really asking for it.

I don't greatly care whether they're good or not, but it's really a matter of opinion. Let them like 'em as does.

Posted by: Barbie (---.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: July 20, 2003 10:50PM

Ok... There is such a thing as irony in Germany, but Germans are generally less subtle as far as humour is concerned. And I think there is a slight difference in meaning as well - I'm not sure... *ponder* I don't quite know what the German version could look like.
Oh well, whatever.

What's wrong with Marillion anyway?!

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.