New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
knock once for yes, twice for..
Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 01:41PM

actually I don't want a seance but are any of you with all your weird and wonderful talents psychic? I've mislaid my watch, I'm certain its somewhere in the house but I haven't been able to find it since Thursday morning. I have a habit of taking it off more or less as soon as I come in from being out and put it generally wherever, nearest shelf, worktop etc. I'm worried that the longer its missing the more chance I have of accidently putting it in the washing machine or something. Im sentimentally very attached to it, even tho I'm habitually careless with it, my dad gave it to my mum when I was born so its hehum years old. So can we all hold hands and concentrate or something and if any of you can visualise my house .....well I'd better go and tidy up.

Re: knock once for yes, twice for..
Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 01:44PM

*OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM*

It's in the bathroom, Holly....

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 19, 2003 01:45PM

Do you hear a loud clanging noise inside the dryer?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Date: July 19, 2003 02:15PM

Ptolemy - you could be right, maybe its been eaten by the big hairy spider thats living in there at the moment.
Would be seriously disturbed if I thought you could visualise my bathroom. If I'd paid attention to plot when reading the kids HP books I'd know the word for people who can turn into animals, then I'd be able to say I hope you aren't a --------------- , are you that hairy spider. But I only skim the HP books to make sure JK isn't slipping in any gratuitous sex, (well it would account for the number of books she sells.)

Intrique - the clanging in the dryer game, I love that, I can identify quite a lot of different noises now.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 19, 2003 03:15PM

The word is 'animagus'.

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 05:49PM

If I were a spider-Animagus I would also check behind the fridge. :)

Have you checked all your pockets, or any bag/purse you might have been carrying? I usually find stuff I've mislaid in one or another of these places. I too have things I put down right when I come in, and if I forget I have a miserable time until I can locate them.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 06:52PM

It hasn't fallen down the back of a radiator behind the shelf you usually put it on or something has it? I lost a ring I valued that way...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Tracy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 08:19PM

Holly,

When I lose something I generally find once I stop looking for it. And it's normally right in front of my face. If you find your keys, you'll probably find your watch in the same place.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 08:26PM

I generally find things by deliberately looking for something else. If I had lost my watch (difficult, as it is always pinned to my clothes) I should at once start looking for my mobile phone! It sounds weird, but it works.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Jo (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2003 11:15PM

Have you tried near the kitchen sink? I am forever taking my watch off to wash up, and then leaving it somewhere in the kitchen...

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:27AM

It'll be in the last place you look. Unless, of course you're one of those stupid people who continue looking for something after they've found it, of course.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:36AM

That's what I wanted to say! I couldn't remember it though.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Date: July 20, 2003 10:27PM

Just slumped into corner of sofa to enjoy a nice cold guinness and rummaged down the side of the seat for the remote control and guess what I found. a load of fluff and some bits of lego but still no watch. I'm beginning to think I may have to 'spring clean' the house from top to bottom in the hope of finding the thing, being very cynical I'm also wondering if hubby has hidden said watch in the hope that this will force me to 'spring clean' the house. I think I'll hold out a little longer, hell we can still beat a path to the doors.

Date: July 20, 2003 10:31PM

lol! Your housekeeping sounds like mine... it couldn't have fallen under the bed or got tangled in a pillow case or something could it?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 20, 2003 10:44PM

Well.........no. Now I'm going to sound not only like a clarty mare but a clarty mare who needs therapy, I never leave the watch in my bedroom, nor any of the rest of my late mum's jewellery, I have this really weird feeling that I just don't want to wake up in the night and find my mum looking for her watch and her rings, I'm sorry sounds crazy but if you'd known my mum you'd understand why this would be quite likely!!!!!!!!! and before you say it, no, I don't think she has come and got it. Can't believe I'm actually going to post this but then there's not many people around at the mo.

Date: July 20, 2003 10:57PM

Don't worry about it, sounds reasonable to me (but then what do I know?) Personally I wish my mum would come back & look for her jewellery, I'd like to have a chat with her! Hmm. That last bit didn't mean you wouldn't with yours btw - sorry! *limps away with foot in mouth*

Post Edited (07-21-03 00:33)

_ _ _ _ _

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:29PM

It may yet come to light, Holly. I finally found my copy of LIAGB, nearly two weeks after it went missing, and after buying a new copy for Jasper to sign. It was hidden under a dictionary, so perhaps it was hiding from an attack of the mispeling vyrus.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:34PM

Talking of losing things, has anyone found Kaz's marbles?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 20, 2003 11:38PM

I wouldn't mind having a chat with her, I just don't want to wake up to find her hovering or hoovering around my bedroom in the middle of the night.

Date: July 20, 2003 11:48PM

yeah now you mention it - wouldn't be too keen to find mine doing that (but the chances of her hoovering are about 5 million to one against - if it was a housework cometition she'd get minus points!)

_ _ _ _ _

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.