New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: My mum's ill
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 22, 2003 03:22PM

Whenever I need a bloodtest they have to use baby needles because I get so nervous and stressed they just use the smallest needs possible and it is still a trauma...

I will donate all my organs, but I'm afraid I will have to think a bit more before giving blood, sorry...

(if I had a very rare blood type it would be different but I think I have a very normal one)

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 04:52PM

I used to be a blood donor but had to stop because I passed out everytime. They'd get the blood, then I'd pass out, I'm not needle phobic or anything but it was very embarrassing. They even let me stay on the bed for about 20 mins or so after donating but when I did get up I fainted, sometimes I'd do it as they were taking the needle out. My husband started donating as I couldn't.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 07:42PM

I've considered blood donation many times and even got as far as visiting the donor centre for advice a few months ago. However, for many years I was under the weight limit - though probably over now ! I also have low blood pressure. When I did go to speak to them, I was having more problems with fatigue than I am now, so I was advised to wait until I was fully recovered. I still got offered a cup of tea though :)

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 07:45PM

I don't give blood because I have very hard to draw veins,

Ditto. I always end up with the most experienced person on duty being called over as the one they go for is very difficult to find under the smaller ones. It's also very close to the artery and I've been told that sometimes it's a lucky guess for them hitting the right one.

Posted by: AlisonS (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 07:47PM

I gave blood recently having been over the weight limit (barely) for the first time... I was really glad actually because I'd wanted to for ages. Not too comfortable though Skiffle - with low blood pressure it takes ages and things kept going black every so often for about a week afterwards (which was interesting!) Worth it though.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 07:54PM

The CJD rumour may have started because they do ask about your family having any incidence of it, but also because the USA refuses to allow anybody who has been to the UK to donate, IIRC.

THe reason they don't let you give if you've been in a homosexual relationship is becasue of the hypothetical risk of HIV. Anyone who's ever injected drugs is also ruled out. This is because somebody can be infected with HIV for over six months without it showing up in a blood test, so there's a hypothetical risk.

Better safe than sorry though.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nas.onetel.net.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:15PM

TMH
don't know you, as I have only just joined, but best wishes to you and your family - hope that you mum gets well soon xxxxxxx

Posted by: TheMedHettar (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:32PM

Just wanted to say thank you for all the well wishes. i passed them on to my mum who was really touched and said u all sound like a lovely bunch of people. She's just started her first transfusion thankfully but now it might mean 4 and not 2. so she's obviously quite fragile right now but we're all bearing up. thanks again everyone!

TMH

//---------------//------------------//
One golfer a year is hit by lightning. This may be the only evidence we have of god’s existence.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:35PM

Good news! Fingers & toes still crossed :)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Carla (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:41PM

good news... hang in there and you know we're here hoping all is well

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:59PM

*more hugs*

Wanting to get well is already a big step on recovery, and I'm glad of that. :)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2003 11:02PM

Mitch, I hope your mom feels better soon. Getting the transfusions should perk her up quite a bit. It may take some time, but it sounds like they caught it fast enough that things should hopefully get back towards the normal level soon. Keeping all my toes and fingers, elbows and eyes crossed for ya though! Send her our best...

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 01:22AM

Excellent. Hope she's feeling better soon. Tell her to try drinking a few pints of blood. that may help, too....

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 11:33AM

Glad she's getting a transfusion now - hope she continues to make good progress.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: TheMedHettar (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 04:54PM

Another news update. Mum's slowly getting back on track. the transfusion are over now thankfully and it's all gone well but for ehr own comfort they are sending her home and doing the tests etc as an outpatient so she's happy about that. Now we're all hoping they can find the cause and get her fixed up. Thanks for all your support. It's been really great to her your well wishes when we've been worried and fraught for her health. Thanks again everyone *group hug*

TMH

//---------------//------------------//
One golfer a year is hit by lightning. This may be the only evidence we have of god’s existence.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 05:02PM

Wonderful news TMH! It's good to hear she's getting back on track.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 05:03PM

That's great news. Best wishes to you all.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 05:16PM

Fantastic news TMH -- give your mum all our best wishes.

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:54PM

Seconded - pass on our thoughts for us.

Then all you've got to do is persuade her to read Mr Fforde's fine works, to aid recovery, don't you know...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 10:14PM

Yep that's great. All the best to you all

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.