New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: room for a newbie??????
Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 11:48AM

Hi Sam

I'm probably the next newbiest to you, I think. It's a great place - and as well as duck and fish there are puns on pretty much everything that's punnable, seems to me...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 12:01PM

Sarah and Ptolemy - how I type in the privacy of my own home with my curtains tightly drawn I'm not about to disclose on here. However if you wish me to email you the details,....................................................................
...........................then you're very sad!!!

and Ptoles, (Pothole?!) I can only assume you weren't meaning left or right cheek, damn cheek if you ask me. and even if you don't ask me.

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 12:58PM

Email me the details, Holly? I want a photo at least! Hee!

Oh dear that must make me really sad then...

You're forgiven for stumbling over my name, everyone does Holly (though I have to say, "Porthole" is a new one!). For future reference, it's a silent P.

Easy to remember: when you're addressing Ptolemy, just take the P out of him :(

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 01:20PM

A Ptolemy popped up in a book I was reading the other day, called The Love Of Books. He was quoted as having said something like "You have not died, if you have given life to science".

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 01:26PM

Dante - Was this a pop-up book for adults? I only ask because one of the course books for my degree in Biology was "The Human Evolution Colouring Book" Homework was things like - Colour in pages 21-24.

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 01:55PM

Ack! No, he didn't *actually* pop up, that would have been alarming.

But I do like the sound of your coursework. Colouring in good.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 03:04PM

Not sure I like the sound of me popping up either come to think of it dante, although I suppose it's preferable to popping off.

The nearest thing I got to a degree was a temperature, though then again I never was very good at staying inside the lines when I did colouring in :(

Wasn't/isn't there a tortoise called Ptolemy in a Beatrix Potter book? I'd imagine the one quoted was the ancient Greek astronomer & scientist though, I'm not sure tortoises are too hot on science. Mine aren't anyway. Although they do make a science of eating cabbage. Sorry... waffling again. I'll get me coat....

Date: July 23, 2003 05:01PM

Ptolemy - could draw it I suppose but it might need the use of a mirror - hey would this be a commission?

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 05:25PM

Hi to the newbie from another newbie - don't worry about your thread degenerating in this rapid fashion, that's quite normal for fforum standards.
I've been here for a week and I feel rather nicely integrated, I must say... :-)

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 05:47PM

...actually this is the newbie-friendliest forum i've ever come across.

Hi from me as well :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:19PM

I just remember that Ptolemy is the family name of Cleopatra....easy peasy! And GSD knows I've watched enough historical documentary footage with my husband to know how to pronounce it!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:25PM

The tortoise is 'the Alderman Prolemy', who keeps the company of 'Sir Isaac Newton' (ukh) and 'Mr Jeremy Fisher' (frog - but not French or dried).

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 06:25PM

Bea - I met you in December, and I've only been posting here for about 10 months...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 23, 2003 06:31PM

Well I think this fforum does strange things to your sense of time, if not indeed your sense of humour. When I was just a lurker and not a poster I had a mental picture of PSD looking like one of those archaeology buffs from 'time team' (well i did say it was mental)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 23, 2003 07:03PM

Terminology for 'The Well of Lost Threads' please? Or verminology?

We now have 'lurker', and 'poster', and maybe 'statutory appointee to insult Ben'. Any others? 'Panjandrums' are known, what about 'game flamer' ?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 07:07PM

Slightly worried that I might have looked a bit like any of the people off Time Team (apart from that attractive paeleopathologist with the attractive red hair and the penchant for skinny tops, although obviously there are certain differences once you get beyond the hair colour)...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 24, 2003 12:26AM

NOOOOO! Mental picture not wanted! Out, out, damn thought! Will none of the perfumes of Arabia sweeten this lily mind?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.