New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What would you want to see/do?
Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 26, 2003 01:27AM

"the most deaths in one day"?

I know this isn't supposed to be a politics forum, but remember Hiroshima?

I have every respect for those who died on 11 September 2001, and sympathy for their families, but to pretend that it is the greatest tragedy ever to befall mankind is to belittle the suffering of other people, equally innocent, at other times and in other places.

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 26, 2003 01:47AM

The greatest tragedy to befall mankind was the day someone picked up a rock and twatted the bloke next to him. Can we get away from the subject of th Twin Towers now, please? It isn't really the place or time for it - I can go eslewhere for the argument, thanks.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 26, 2003 06:26AM

Go see my new topic, Find the phrase.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 26, 2003 03:05PM

I've organised - and attended - music festivals in both Providence, Rhode Island (1997) and in Boston (2002). Both times I've had colleagues living there produce suggested sightseeing itineraries for people flying in from overseas to fill a free day while waiting for flights home after the event - I probably still have them here somewhere if anyone needs them. I remember doing the "Lovecraft trail" around Providence being one of the most memorable moments of that particular trip - and eating fresh lobster and mucho other assorted seafoods, that was rather fine too. Bit of a bummer to discover you can't buy cigarette papers in The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (to give it it's full name) though, I don't recall that being mentioned in the 'Rough Guide'.

What I loved most about America the first time I had the opportunity to discover it for myself though was simply spending time in a family home. Their fridges really are that big. They really don't have doorstep milk deliveries, one of the last bastions of a civilised nation. You can't easily buy Ribena or Robinson's Orange Barley Water or indeed any type of squash (oh, and a squash is a type of pumpkin - and their pumpkins are smaller and yellower than ours too). It's those myriad little differences that you can only experience outside of an hotel which make travelling (traveling) abroad so memorable, and not always the obvious tourist sights.

Having had countless Americans visit us here as well I know they've often said the same thing; that it's nice just to see, literally, how the other half lives: I have a lot of friends who are in bands and when they tour over here they often like to find an excuse to call by, which probably has more to do with where I live - close to Stonehenge (though I usually take them to Avebury because it's more interesting) and Bath (Glastonbury; ditto) - than any particular desire to visit me.... anyway, where was I? Oh, yeah. Basically, show them how people really live and they'll probably enjoy that more than visiting a monument. That's my advice, for whatever it's worth...

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 26, 2003 03:13PM

Bit of a bummer to discover you can't buy cigarette papers in The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations

Last time I've been to the states, I was frequently asked whether I was smoking Mariuhana. Rolling normal cigarettes seems to be not that common over there. (Or has that changed during the last 7 years?).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 26, 2003 03:29PM

Half buried guy in DC is a sculpture called The Awakening. It's near Hanes Point (past the Jefferson Memorial) and very cool. If you're in DC, there's an incredible little modern art museum in Dupont Circle called the Philips Collection. It's a lot more manageable than the National Galleries and they usually have an interesting special exhibit on. Plus, it's in the Circle which is a great place to hang out and people-watch.

For memorials, the Korean War one is my favorite--giant soldiers in raincoats.

Nicky.

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.104.220.140.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 26, 2003 03:51PM

I'm a history buff so I really enjoyed Philedelphia. Tho' I was with a big group and watching them run up the Philedelphia Museum of Art steps ala the movie Rocky was just hysterical. I also enjoyed visiting the Amish/Mennonnite community. I would love to visit Monticello. Plus all the above mentioned stops.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.