New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: US readers unite!!!
Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: July 28, 2003 11:13PM

Fine with me. I may have a conference in NYC (still need to convince boss to let me go) in October.

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-25.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 28, 2003 11:47PM

FWIW, I don't get Columbus day OR Veterans day OR President's day off. Or Good Friday.

I get Memorial Day, Labor Day, July4, Thanksgiving (and the day after), Christmas and New Year's Day, and that's about it for holidays.

I'll be in Seattle this Labor Day, and already have plans for Memorial Day next year.

But if we have a get together within reasonable driving distance of me, which I'm able to get to, I'll bring a Nextian cake of some sort.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2003 12:55AM

How does this sound? We have it on Veteren's Day weekend now, for those of us who can make it, and then we have one over Memorial Day as well, to catch the other people. If that's agreed, then all we need to do is pick a place.

Post Edited (07-29-03 03:31)

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 29, 2003 03:53AM

Sounds fine to me. I usually spend holidays with my family in FL, but Veteran's Day is good because Thanksgiving comes right afterwards. I'm happy to come out east--anywhere is OK. I'd prefer not to have to make anything edible, though. (Given my cooking skills, it probably wouldn't be all that edible, anyway.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2003 04:44AM

I'm pretty much good for anytime...I'm a kept woman, so I don't have to worry about work schedules and hubby can take almost any time off he needs to. He has very flexible work hours!

Date: July 29, 2003 04:57AM

AAC, come into the chatroom

Date: July 29, 2003 04:58AM

Yeah. come talk to us

Date: July 29, 2003 05:11AM

How about Washington Dc everyone? There is a ton of stuff to do and most of it is free? Plus, there are accomodations around here that are really @#$%& and dog friendly too!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2003 05:24AM

DC sounds great to me (obviously DUH!) and we do have quite a bit of extra space in our house that my husband will probably let me share - free room, just perhaps a small stipend for food :)

and there is SO much to do here and it's not as cold in November here as it is in PA

Date: July 29, 2003 05:26AM

I love DC. Just please don't put me in the room with the cats. *sneezes in anticipation*

Date: July 29, 2003 06:18AM

Ok. So due to the fact that DC will be PACKED during Veteren's day weekend, and some of us have crowd issues( including me, incidentally), we need a new place to meet. Any suggestions? So far we have NY, NJ and Western PA.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 29, 2003 01:51PM

Veteran's Day is great. My vote is for Jersey. Flemington has some great shopping by the way!

Date: July 30, 2003 01:48AM

Ok. So, I was trying to find a central location that wouldn't be too busy during Veteren's Day, and that all of us could get to without too much driving. I thought about Philadelphia, and then realized that that would probably be just as busy as DC. So then I went to my car and got my atlas, and I saw Reading. There are all kinds of shopping outlets and museums. There is even an airport there, so people could fly in if need be. Let me know !!! Here is a website to look at : [www.readingberkspa.com]

Post Edited (07-30-03 02:52)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 30, 2003 01:54AM

Washington, New York, Philadelphia <sigh> It all sounds so much more glamorous than Leeds.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 02:36AM

Hmmm. Reading or Philly are actually slightly further for me than D.C. All are more than 8 hours of drive time, and would be even further for Nicky in Chicago. I would certainly do my best to get there, but that would probably mean a day of driving time each way, plus whatever time I'm there, so I would definitely need to take time off work. And I don't get any of the bank holidays, and already have plans for next Memorial Day here in town.

So whatever we figure out I'll try to swing it, but it may depend how much time and money I have. And with moving next month and visiting my brother in Seattle, I won't have a lot of either.

It would be really fun if we could schedule something at one of Jasper's signings in the States in February or March, sort of like what the UK Fforumites did in Leeds.

--------------
&quot;I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around.&quot;
--Ross Smith

Date: July 30, 2003 03:01AM

Don't worry about me--I'm flying no matter where it is. Just pick a place and I'll be there. Can we find something closer to Magda? How about somewhere in Ohio?

Still bummed about having to miss the US tour. I just know with 16 cities he will be visiting Chicago. Still, there are compensations, like being in London for instance.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.