New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New Chat room rules
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2003 06:08PM

Hi folks...as the chat room evolves, there will be changes from time to time. These changes are made in an effort to allow everyone to have the maximum amount of fun without squashing anyone else. So here are the changes that are effective immediately.

1. Please always use a profile. In this profile please put your AGE and location. Age is important because it has come to our attention that some of our younger members were in the chat room when some talk that really was not age appropriate was going on. But it wasn't done as a shocking thing. The chatters simply did not know the person in question was that young. So therefore, the request is made that ALL chatters enter their age - or an approximation if you're old and don't want people knowing it <wink>

2. If you have a problem with what is being said - ie off-color humor or something else that makes you feel uncomfortable, please speak up.

3. As a responsible chatter, it is up to you to police yourselves, especially when the younger members are in the mix. Try to keep it PG. If someone does speak up about feeling uncomfortable, please curb the talk or take it to a private chat.

4. Have fun...we're here to hang out and relax, so keep the political/religious rantings to a minimum. If you must talk about it, please take it to a private chat.

That's it! Just be considerate of others and have fun. And yes, it's still okay to pick on PSD, as long as he's allowed to pick back. <GRIN> Right PSD?

Re: New Chat room rules
Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 01, 2003 06:32PM

Thanks, AAC. And the gutter apologizes to the young person in question.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 01, 2003 06:52PM

Really? What was said?

And how come I missed it?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 01, 2003 07:30PM

PSD, maybe we all decided you were too young to hear what was being said and went into a huddle behind your back ;-)

Seriously though AAC, I totally agree with what you say - especially regarding potentially touchy subjects such as race, creed or politics. And although you don't mention it specifically, I think you've indirectly answered something I've been wondering about as well, which is quite what the relevance of including one's "city" in one's profile is (though speaking as a country dweller who visits the big city maybe three times a year at best I'd still rather some other descriptive term was used!)

Assuming there's an implicit watershed hour after which the level of cussing and innuendo might realistically be expected to be higher than when young children might still be about, the hour in question will not unnaturally change according to location... ie just because it's midnight in Europe, bear in mind it's still only tea time in America and lunchtime in the Antipodes.

Does that makes sense? I know what I mean anyway! Sorry!

Date: August 01, 2003 07:35PM

actually, I figured if everyone puts their ages, we can just curb it when we notice those of the younger persuasion....

(and if you try to fib and say you're older, we'll eventually figure it out anyway...so don't bother!)

trying to find a "kiddie hour" would be nigh on impossible because of the world-wide nature of our users...so I think this is probably the best compromise.

Posted by: Carla (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 01, 2003 09:07PM

but when we get in the chatroom and loads of people are there we can't find out what their profile is... or can we?

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 01, 2003 09:09PM

Carla - Once in the chatroom click once on the person's name on the right. This will show their profile in the bottom of the screen.

Posted by: Carla (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 01, 2003 09:11PM

ahh thanks, hadn't tried that before

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 01, 2003 09:40PM

I just want to state for the record that politics, race and creed did not feature in the abovementioned incident. ;-)

Date: August 02, 2003 01:32AM

by the way Ptolemy, tea time simply just does not exist in America...well, the time does, but we don't call it that. It's called quitting time and Happy Hour (although, it's a bit later than your tea time!)

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 02, 2003 07:08AM

I know AAC - it was intentional though since it was written from the POV of one Englishman addressing another. Damned uncivilised though, what?!

Actually "tea time" is an increasing archaic concept over here too, though the phrase still means something to most even if few observe the tradition.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 02, 2003 07:23AM

We usualy call our main meal in the evening, 'tea time', but the "Coreect" term would still be 'dinner'.

And I am SOOO glad that the rules for picking on PSD haven't changed. If they had I'd just cry!

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 02, 2003 10:17AM

The chat doesn't work for me, I have cable and waited at least 5 min, and nothing happened.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 02, 2003 12:11PM

Suggested new rule: log in from time to time, just to see if PSD is lurking...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: August 02, 2003 01:55PM

Intrigue, try it again later...and with Netscape if you can. It seems the java engine with netscape can deal with it better than IE's.

And it could have just been the time. I know for me, sometimes it takes forever to load and others it's there in a flash. Don't give up yet hun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.