New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Not sure if this has been asked before but.....
Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 02:48PM

Jo mentioning the Wizard of Oz reminded me of something that was going around a few years ago - apologies if it's been mentioned here already!

It's all to do with the supposed synchronicity between Hollywood's 1939 ("classic") film version of "The Wizard Of Oz" and Pink Floyd's 1973 prog-rock masterpiece "The Dark Side Of The Moon."

From what I remember, you have to start "The Wizard Of Oz" from the beginning and wait for the MGM lion to appear. Immediately after the lion's third roar, start "Dark Side Of The Moon." Turn the stereo up and the TV down. It's actually pretty freaky - the biggest coincidence is when "Great Gig in the Sky" is on and the tornado is whirling. Then, as it goes through a transition into colour, the song "Money" comes up at almost exactly the right moment. There's loads of other little coincidences as well though.

According to drummer drummer Nick Mason though, apparently "It's all absolute nonsense, the album had nothing to do with "The Wizard Of Oz."

"It was all based on "The Sound Of Music...."

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:24PM

Is anyone else in favor of NOT making a movie at all. I just can't imagine it'd ever be able to capture the whole point of the book. Just a small example: would there have to be a mysprunciation vyrus instead?

Posted by: Jo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:37PM

I don't think much of the humour would be able to come over on film, to be honest. The puns such as the shipping forecast names in the Spec Ops Swindon office would seem over done, and there would be so much that would have to be spelt out, particularly for a film going audience.

Plus it would never look as good as the film that runs in my head whenever I read it!

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 03:38PM

Jasper is chief amongst those who think so - unless he does it with himself as director, so as the book is not unduly compressed. Vin Diesel as Thursday is his nightmare.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2003 06:22PM

He did say at one point that he'd rather do a TV series than a film - so nothing would be left out. Of course you'd have bigger budget restrictions then, so I don't know.

Originally I thought it'd be a great idea, but now I'm not so sure. Like you said - a lot of the jokes wouldn't translate well. How are you going to show a footnoterphone on TV?

PSD, I haven't read your guide to the Fforum but perhaps you could put a point somewhere near the top saying 'Jasper has said that he...' and the stuff about the films? So we don't keep repeating ourselves once a month. Just a thought.

Please, nobody take this as offensive that they've posted this idea. I don't mean it badly. Does anyone want to know what my very first thread on here was?

Yup, 'Should TEA Be a Film?'. I think I still have the replies in my lycos inbox somewhere too. I'll go have a look, for posterities sake...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Date: August 06, 2003 06:24PM

You're right, I remember him saying so now you menton it.

Date: August 06, 2003 06:28PM

OK, I've been and looked, and this is what I found - Jasper's reply to my question...

SenderJasper <me@jasperfforde.com>
SubjectRe: The Eyre Affair - a film? [1:323:602]
Date / Time09/05/2002 18:03
This message was sent from: ThursdayNext.
[www.thursdaynext.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------

The film rights are still with me, never fear. I have a saying that goes:
'If I don't make it, it doesn't get made.' I guess that could be translated
as 'no-one gets to screw it up except me.' - But at least I can then say:
'Well, yes, a hopeless farrago with no cinematic merits was just the look
I was after' and who can argue? As for casting, it has to be the gorgeous
and highly talented Lola Vavoom. I would also like to point out that we are
just good friends and good friends often rub oil into each other shoulders on martinique - and her bikini fell off when I was trying to fix a light bulb
late one night in her chalet - how did I know 'The Mole' photographers
would be there? honest.

Hope this has cleared everything up,

Jasper Fforde

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sent using Phorum software version 3.2.11 [phorum.org]

So, did that amuse you all? I have all the replies actually, only there's far too many to post here. If anyone wants to read their replies say and I'll look for them. If you can remember that far back, obviously.

Oh, and PSD, did you ever post as Ben T? Or is that a different Ben?

--------------

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 06, 2003 10:23PM

He didn't reply to my email.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:22PM

I reckon I could do Thursday. I'm about the right age, plian, mousy brown hair usually tied back in a pony tail. I'm probably faster on the mouth than the hand gun, but I can work on that.

Hey! A girl can dream!

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:45PM

Ooh a Plian girl! I always wanted to meet one from that planet!

Grrr... and to think I was duped into grovelling over on another thread because Kaz pretended to be offended that I referred to her as an alien. Devilish cunning (as well as reputedly beautiful) these Plians....

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2003 11:54PM

And you all thought I was the alien.

Post Edited (08-07-03 00:55)

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 07, 2003 02:45AM

I think I've been complimented and insulted all in the one post. That's not bad at all , Ptolly. And yes, we Plians ARE clever and beautiful. We just can't spell.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.xavier.vic.edu.au)
Date: August 07, 2003 03:23AM

How about pliable?

---

Posted by: kaz (144.139.78.---)
Date: August 07, 2003 08:50AM

I can bend all over the place. I often amaze people with my flexability. As a kid I used to be able to get my foot behind my neck. Not anymore though. these days I just settle for being the Amazing Double-Jointed Woman and bend my fingers RIIIIGHT back. And my elbows. I'm double jointed there too.

Posted by: Sarah (on holiday) (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 07, 2003 10:44AM

I used to be engaged to a man who could bend his legs round the back of his neck. I had it all on to stop him from doing it in front of my mother. He seemed to think she would be impressed.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 07, 2003 11:15AM

I can make it look like I'm dislocating my thumb.

Someone I know has no nerve endings in half of their left hand.

---

Date: August 07, 2003 03:23PM

Amazing Double-Jointed Woman - see superheroes thread?

Date: August 07, 2003 04:10PM

Well to anyone now getting indignant because Jasper replied to my thread and not theirs...

This was way back in the das where we had about 4 posts on two threads in a week. And this was (to my knowledge) the first time the question had been asked.

So don't feel bad.

--------------

Date: August 07, 2003 05:30PM

Your profile has got the hair about right, we know you only put the wings on now and then, but isn't that a slinky dress --- come on, you borrowed it, didn't you??

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 08, 2003 12:22AM

A friend of mine has the double problem of having unusual flexibility and loose joints. Her hips pop out of the socket sometimes when she's walking (or doing other things with her husband - guaranteed to put Ed off his stride). If she strains her hand/wrist by carrying heavy things for too long, the bones in her hand start to come apart. She can get her ankles behind her head, but that's one of the things that tends to make her hips pop out of their sockets. She had been given exercises to try and strengthen the joints, but if she works on one part, something else will shift out of place !

She's quite blase about all this now, but she's a little concerned about what will happen when she becomes pregnant. The extra weight could be *really* bad for her hips.......

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.