New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bit of Excitement
Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 04:56PM

My company had a bomb threat called in to us this morning. Both of our buildings were evacuated and the building was searched by company employees.

I was under the impression that after 9-11 we were taking things like this seriously. I realize most are hoaxes but I'm afraid I feel less than secure knowing non-professionals had searched our buildings.

I don't want this to become a political statement I just wanted to share my concern. This was my first bomb threat. And hopefully, my last.

Re: Bit of Excitement
Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 05:19PM

Living in Britain we've lived with bomb scares from the IRA for a very long time, I've only been near to one, everyone was very calm with not too much mass hysteria (which was someone's plastic bag that was forgotten - unfortunately for them it was destroyed in a controlled explosion)

This happened when Dante's lot (Songs of Praise) were recording in the church just over the road from said 'bomb'. Who says nothing happens in Chippenham (except anything to do with TN - I can see I'm going to have to take Jasper to task again)

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: August 04, 2003 05:21PM

I had a bomb scale in the shop once, we all went outside and it was winter so we went to wait in a shop 5 minutes away

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 05:29PM

I was about 500 yards away when the IRA bombed the Corridor shopping mall in Bath during the 70s. Gotta confess I ran very quickly in the opposite direction and didn't go anywhere near the scene of the explosion until the next day - luckily nobody was killed. My "heroics" consisted of rescuing and giving a home to a hundred or so LPs damaged by the blast, which took place outside a shop called Wessex Records. The covers were all ripped to shreds but the LPs themselves were safe in the basement when it happened. I still have a few now and no more poignant reminder of those horrible times is required than digging one out and playing it.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 05:31PM

Tracy, hope you are feeling less worried now. could have been worse you know, could have been an anthrax scare and then you would have had the deep joy of having to strip naked along with all your fellow employees and get hosed down in the company car park!!
When my sister was married to the pillock before the one that she is just about to marry now (!?) hubby and I went to stay with them on an army base in Germany, was a bit of an eye opener that everytime we went anywhere he had to check under the car for bombs. I don't think it was a personal threat to him because he was such a pillock, tho I could be mistaken but at the time I thought it was because of the IRA threat.

Date: August 04, 2003 05:43PM

Yes Holly I know it could have been much worse and am very grateful it wasn't.

I'm still a bit worried, our maintenance crew did the search of the building and they are certainly not accustomed to look for bombs.

You sound like the anthrax scare you have personal experience with.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 04, 2003 05:56PM

My aunt walked out of the hairdressers in Coleraine and fifteen minutes later it had become a legitimate target of a terrorist organisation; she took many years to get over that. I think if I mentioned it now it would bother her. It was just rubble afterwards. Highly political hair, it seems.

Date: August 04, 2003 06:18PM

Oh well Dave, you know what they say. Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2003 06:19PM

*grooooooaaaannnnn*

Date: August 04, 2003 06:19PM

And you haven't seen me either ---

Date: August 04, 2003 06:21PM

*grooooooaaaaaannnnn*

Date: August 04, 2003 06:22PM

Hmm, stereo.

Date: August 04, 2003 07:06PM

Tracy - no I've never been *forced* to remove my clothes and run round the company carpark naked.......

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 04, 2003 07:09PM

Holly, have you ever done it voluntarily?

Date: August 04, 2003 07:10PM

I was just wondering that too, Nicky! Where was it you said you lived and/or worked, Holly?! Whoo hoo!

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2003 07:10PM

Erm... Do we really want the answer to that question?

Date: August 04, 2003 07:13PM

Well, I have been to some office parties that got a wee bit out of hand,, but Im not too sure on all the details. Might have some photos somewhere tho.......

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: August 04, 2003 07:52PM

BAck to the subject - I used to manage a store in Aldershot (Home of the British Army) and we would get bomb scares in the shopping centre on a weekly basis.

We'd just clear the store and take off to a nearby (but not too nearby) cafe to wait it out. However, it sometimes took some time to clear the store because some customer swould 'just want to try this on in size 12!' I once locked a customer in the store and left her there because she insisted on continuing to try clothes and would not leave! She complained to head office but they didn't take any action against me.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 04, 2003 08:02PM

I've had a bomb scare at college, at our local shopping centre and multiple at local city (Brum).

And so I'd say they're not uncommon here. You develop a kind of apathy after a while I reckon.

The one at college was fun - they sent us all home...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Date: August 04, 2003 08:08PM

I remember we had some when we were at school and we had to go and stand out on the school field, obviously they were just hoaxes by someone who wanted to get out of double french or something, probably the teacher!
I don't think anyone in the whole history of the school ever learnt enough in chemistry to have been a real threat.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.