New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Plugging
Posted by: Jen (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: August 09, 2003 05:07PM

I've become a big fan of the White Stripes, and lately have been listening to the YeahYeahYeahs. I'll check the Eels out, too.

AnnMarie: another Gabaldon fan? I so love Outlander, it was totally unexpected.

Posted by: Tracy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2003 05:32PM

Jen and AnnMarie: More Gabaldon fans!! Yeah. Now if she would just write a little faster....

Date: August 09, 2003 05:37PM

Tracy / AnnMarie: I loved the first three books, but thought that she lost the magic a little when the story moved to the new world. The last book (The Fiery Cross) I didn't enjoy nearly as much. I think she's getting tired of the series, myself.

Date: August 09, 2003 06:12PM

Jen, I agree with you completely. I found I had to force myself to keep reading. I think the last 75-100 pages were actually enjoyable.

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 09, 2003 06:19PM

Howie Day - saw him as support of the divine Tori Amos this spring and just had to buy his album. Great lyrics.

The Inchtabokatables - German band, partly German, partly English lyrics, no guitars, but strings, indie. Love them.

Edit: What's wrong? Why doesn't linking work anymore???

Post Edited (08-09-03 19:22)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 09, 2003 07:57PM

Sparkle Hayter anyone? Especially the scene in the lift with the sulky boy, the nuns all chained together and the journalist in The Chelsea Girl Murders... If you like Evanovich you'll like these, I would think.

I'm with you about Diana Gabaldon too, Tracy and Jen

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 09, 2003 08:36PM

Thanks Tracy. I will be checking out her website right this minute in fact...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: August 09, 2003 09:28PM

Yeah, I quite like Sparkle Hayter.

Diana Wynne Jones, I say again.
christopher brookmyre
john sutherland (the books about famous literary bloopholes)
matt ruff (especially The Fool On The Hill - it's about stories, and has cats in!)
music - the thrills, half man half biscuit, my mate andy

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 09, 2003 10:48PM

Tracy - which new book? I couldn't see it, but my computer was playing up...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.158.33.13.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 09, 2003 11:10PM

Yeah!!! Other Gabaldon fans. I bought Outlander years ago when I worked at a grocery store and needed something to read on break. Jen, I think your right she might be getting tired. Her new book comes out in Nov., but the main character is Lord John. It'll be interesting to see how a new series does.

Date: August 09, 2003 11:24PM

Outlander was such a pleasant surprise for me ... I didn't have anything to read and asked my sister for a book. She handed me Outlander. I took one look at the dust jacket with its tartans, busty wenches, etc. and said, you have to be joking. She advised me to ignore the dust jacket and give it a go ... next thing I knew it was 4 in the morning!

I didn't know that the next book was about Lord John ... I'm going to have to check her website.

I knew that she apparently wants to write murder mysteries ...

Date: August 10, 2003 03:26AM

The Lord John book coming out in November was originally published as an e-version off the website. It's being published in a longer version in print this fall. What I read of it was great.

She does plan on also putting out a contemporary mystery either this year or next. Sounds pretty good from what I gather.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: August 10, 2003 03:37AM

Dante - have to agree with you on the Diana Wynne Jones books. Difficult to choose a favourite, but I think 'The Power of Three' would be colse.

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: August 10, 2003 05:32AM

Dante and Kaz: Fire and Hemlock is my fave so far.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 10, 2003 05:44AM

Hexwood is one of the weirdest books I've ever read.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: August 10, 2003 04:04PM

I love most of them - probably Deep Secret out of the adult books, and maybe...homeward Bounders out of the kid's. I really like Hexwood too. I need to buy Fire and Hemlock, it's one of the only ones I don't have.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: August 10, 2003 10:47PM

I've never read any of her adult ones - have to find some. Can anyone recommend which to start with please?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 10, 2003 10:58PM

Are we still talking about Diana Wynne Jones ? I've read some of her books but don't know many titles. I heartily recommend 'A Sudden Wild Magic' though.

Also Lois Mcmaster Bujold's books - all excellent. I loaned one to my friend, Rory, but I wasn't sure how he'd get on, as it was mostly intrigue and scheming, set in an elaborately developed world, with a certain amount of back history from the other books in the series. He loved it so much, he borrowed some others, and even felt the urge to go buy some of his own copies.

Date: August 11, 2003 12:23AM

Great thanks Skiffle, I'll see if I can get 'A sudden wild magic' tomorrow. Plus Bujold (never tried him either)

_ _ _ _ _

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.158.33.107.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 11, 2003 02:28AM

Bujold is great! And the series just gets funnier as it goes on.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.