New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Skyrail in Birmingham!
Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 10:44AM

Thanks for that, did you look it up or did you just happen to know?

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 10:55AM

I knew there was one in Leicester, but I had to look up where it was. I also found that there was one in Wolverhampton, one in Wednesbury and one in Castle Douglas, which I didn't know about.

Date: August 14, 2003 11:36AM

Bet you'd find lots of people having their photos done by the road sign, infact I bet the road signs are always being stolen. Last time we were in Ireland I tried to get my husband to drive to Tipperary so I could have my photo taken there, just to prove a point, but he said it was too far.

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 11:40AM

Ouch.

Date: August 14, 2003 11:43AM

Thats what he said when I hit him over the head with the guide book

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 07:02PM

My favourite roadsign is in Stratfrod - it has a one-way dead end street. Yeah, right....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 07:05PM

Hey, we have one of those too psd.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 14, 2003 07:15PM

In addition to a New Zealand there's two villages (hamlets really) near here called Scotland and Ireland. At one junction there's a roadsign pointing to those two which tourists often stop and take a photo of. The house nearby has cashed in on it by planting a suitably adorned flagpole in their garden, now they're in all the photos as well.

My favourite village name in this area has to be Temple Cloud though. I'm often tempted to rent a PO Box there just for the luxury of having that address on my letterhead.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 11:33PM

There's a Wales in north Derbyshire (or Nottinghamshire).

When I was in Knights In Battle, a medieval re-enactment society, they toured around doing a 13th century show at fetes and whathaveyou. The White Knight was Eldred of Wherever-today's-show-is. I always hoped that we'd get booked to do a show in Much Wittering.......

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 15, 2003 12:01PM

Did you know that there is a "real" 'White Knight' in the modern-day world? That's the hereditary title which has been held since Medieval times by the heads of one old Irish land-owning family... Their near neighbours include two families whose heads have traditionally been known as 'The Black Knight' and (IIRC) 'The Green Knight' respectively... Two of the three also use territorial designations (one of them being 'The Knight of Glin'): One of them is also a Baronet, but the others aren't actual "knights" (as in having been 'dubbed', and entitled to be called 'Sir') _ unless any individual holders of the positions have actually earned that status for themselves _ they're just 'esquires' like the heads of the Irish & Scottish clans.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.