New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Film fathers and daughters/sons
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.telia.com)
Date: August 13, 2003 05:38PM

I'm continuing my work on my book about fathers in the history. One thing I would like to list is the actors who have played fathers to their real life daughters or sons on film. I have listed four such films:

* Angelina Jolie & Jon Voight in "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider"
* Clint & Alison Eastwood in "Tightrope"
* Charlie & Martin Sheen in "Wall Street"
* Jane & Henry Fonda in "On Golden Pond"

Any more suggestions?

/Mattias
(No connection to Mathias, the horse)

Re: Film fathers and daughters/sons
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2003 06:13PM

*Kirk Douglas & Michael Douglas in "It Runs in the Family" & "Cast a Giant Shadow"

*Lloyd & Jeff Bridges in "Tucker: A Man and His Dream" (not sure if he ever acted with other son Beau)

*Rance Howard with both sons Ron & Clint Howard in nearly every movie Ron Howard has directed such as "A Beautiful Mind", "Far and Away", "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (Jim Carrey version), "Apollo 13", "Splash", etc etc cuz it's a real family thing!

*Jack and Chris Lemmon in "Dad", "Airport 77" and "That's Life"

*Tom Hanks & Colin Hanks in "Band of Brothers" and "That Thing You Do"

I'm sure there are more.

A great source to check is the Internet Movie Database ( www.imdb.com ) and enter an actor's name in the search then once you're on his page, scroll to the bottom and you can enter another actor's name to search and see if they've been credited together.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: August 13, 2003 07:18PM

If television is of any interest, on the show "Diagnosis Murder" Dick Van Dyke and his son Barry play father and son. I'm sure there are lots of others.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 09:41PM

Clint Eastwood also cast his son in one of his films - I think it was Honky Tonk Man.

Charlie and Martin Sheen also appeared together (briefly) in Hot Shots Part Deux. I think Martin and Emilio Estevez may have appeared together, but couldn't name the film. Try the family on imdb as AAC suggests.

I'm sure Lionel and John Barrymore made films together. John Huston directed his father in The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: August 13, 2003 10:47PM

Another Van Dyke also appeared as a brother/uncle once... its quite a family show.

Rob

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2003 10:51PM

Don't forget John Huston has directed his daughter Anjelica, as well. You'd have to look up the movie though. Too tired to do it myself at the mo' LOL.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2003 11:26PM

Wasn't that 'Prizzi's Honor' ?

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.238.45.192.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 14, 2003 12:39AM

Didn't Ryan O'neil and Tatum O'neil star in something? Paper Moon? maybe

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 14, 2003 01:07PM

If we can widen the scope to mothers & their children, for the sake of discussion rather Mattias's book, then Demi Moore had her real daughter cast as her screen daughter in 'Striptease'.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: Anonymous User (195.163.30.---)
Date: August 15, 2003 11:48AM

Thanks for all help! It was really useful.

/Mattias

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.